What's the proper way to close a hung program in Linux?

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Just recently upgraded to the latest version of Mint Cinnamon and I'm not a happy camper. Among other problem I keep getting random program hangs and don't know how to close them. These are just program hangs, not system hangs. Does Linux have a task manager? System was rock solid before the upgrade so I'm pretty sure the problem is Mint.

And while I'm on the subject of problems, how the hell does Linux decide which monitor a program opens on in a dual monitor system? Programs will randomly open on monitor #2 even if it's turned off. There's no rhyme or reason as to when this happens but it's annoying a hell. This problem existed before the upgrade so it isn't just the current version.

Should I be looking at another distro? :(

There typically is a task manager in each DE. They do differ but the shortcut keys are usually the same. CTRL+ESC or CTRL+SHIFT+ESC will generally bring up the task manager. If not you can always install one.

Find the process, right click, and select kill.

Thanks. In this distro it's called system monitor. Just added it to the desktop. Sure hope they fix whatever is causing this before I head to greener pastures.

Upgrades often break things in Linux. Fresh install is the best way to go IME.

Across my laptop, desktop, and assorted VM guests and LXC containers, I can't remember the last time I had an issue with upgrading.

Windows 10 on my desktop, on the other hand, always seems to have an issue with every other major upgrade.

Across my laptop, desktop, and assorted VM guests and LXC containers, I can't remember the last time I had an issue with upgrading.

Windows 10 on my desktop, on the other hand, always seems to have an issue with every other major upgrade.
Good for you. I would guess 50% of all my attempted upgrades caused some sort of failure or improper behavior. Never had an issue with Windows 10.

As for the windows opening, usually it's decided by the window manager, which can either default to "primary display" or "active display".

"Primary display" is the first populated output on your gpu, iirc, or the one designated "primary" in your configuration.

"Active display" is the one currently receiving input, but sometimes input is stolen by a program on another display, which is why often "Primary display" is the default.

Having your applications hanging means something went wrong with your Mint install or your system is not compatible with it. I never liked Mint because it seems to be far more unstable than, say, Ubuntu Mate or Cinnamon.

I must be doing something wrong then. Because I haven't had a problem since around 2013. Probably when I stopped using Mint.

Good for you. I would guess 50% of all my attempted upgrades caused some sort of failure or improper behavior. Never had an issue with Windows 10.

You should start working on Windows 10 outside of tightly controlled corporate networks. Updates fail all the time, I love it every time a new one is released as I get an influx of new clients.

2 different paths...
linux: sure you can upgrade, as long as you know how, and do it yourself.
windows 10: TAKE THIS UPGRADE WHEN I SAY, AND LIKE IT!!!

Back