What's a better fit for ITX, Ryzen or Coffe Lake?

Verdi

n00b
Is there anything specific to keep in mind when chosing a platform for an itx system? It's pretty easy to find comparisons of Ryzen and Coffe Lake, but not much information specifically related to ITX. I'm thinking about compatibility, motherboard quality, cooling, etc.

CFL=hot ... runs better with delid.
Ryzen=easy to cool, but chipset gets very hot.

Most of the time a good air cooler is necessary to cool the chipset and m.2 down.

On the other, expensive hand there is a waterblock for cpu/vrm and a m.2 water cooler.

...waterblock for cpu/vrm...

Could you link these CPU / VRM monoblocks, because the only one I know of is the EK monoblock for the ASUS Intel ITX board, but have yet to see any X370 / X470 ITX boards with waterblocks for the VRMs...

Last edited:
Depending on how tight your cpu cooler clearence, how noise sensitive you are and on how far you are willing to go with modding, cfl has the LP53 with a noctua slim fan while ryzen does not.
And that combo is pretty hard to beat when when limited to sub 50mm. Of course there is the c7 and a cheap (but good) xilence cooler, but but those suffer from turbulance noise, since there is very little room between the fan and the sidepanel.

I haven't had any issues with Ryzen 5 or 7 on Gigabyte and Biostar's B350/X370 ITX boards other than being finicky about memory early on. ECC support is nice. One of the two boards has an m.2 drive with no special cooling other than good case airflow (its in a Mountain Mods ITX-TRG). I have an AIO CPU watercooling unit on the Ryzen 7 1700x.

Could you linkthese CPU / VRM monoblocks, because the only one I know of is the EK monoblock for the ASUS Intel ITX board, but have yet to see any X370 / X470 ITX boards with waterblocks for the VRMs...

This guy did some Monoblocks for at least one Ryzen ITX Mobo.

Coffee Lake is the only way to get 6 cores with onboard graphics, unless you're building it for gaming/gpgpu purposes and need to run a gpu.

Back