What Z690 board are you eyeing?

12700KF here running super cool and laptop quiet all round on this build.

I got the Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 based on its aesthetics mainly but also because some of the hardware specs are fit for my needs.
Sadly as usual for Gigabyte it takes a few months for the BIOS to mature and the latest F7 had stability issues for me so rolled back to F6.

I also had to play with the VCCSA (system agent voltage) and DRAM settings (XMP does not work so manually set timings) to get full stability for my 3600MHz 64GB of Vengeance LPX (2x32GB in DR @ 18-22-22-42-64 2T).

After running RAM tests multiple times seeing what works I found the following:

System Agent (VCCSA): 1.3v
Gear mode: 1
DRAM voltage: 1.46v
DRAM Timing Mode: Fixed (default was Dynamic)
CPU C-States Control set to Enabled then C1E in the expanded section disabled (solves the coil whine noise but has no negative impact anywhere else)
Above 4G Decoding enabled in order to unlock Resize BAR support option for the GPU

6Cq5qOg.png

pc_RTX3080Ti_sideangle_2021.12.18_1404-06_00004.jpg

Been out of the pc building game for a long time...
gonna try and build a computer over the next few months.. by buying case, fans, controller, etc.. all the stuff that prices do not flex much...

then
mobo/cpu
hope to move my ddr4 ram and gtx 1060 over.. to just get running
then get a 30xx card....

but my question here...
I am seeing people say.. wish there was a DDR4 version of this board or DDR5 is so $$$$$
so you cannot buy the DDR5 board and use your DDR4 memory, then just upgrade ram?

differnet pin out on DDR4 to DDR5?

thx guys...

gonna try and build a computer over the next few months.. by buying case, fans, controller, etc.. all the stuff that prices do not flex much...

then
mobo/cpu
then get a 30xx card....

but my question here...
I am seeing people say.. wish there was a DDR4 version of this board or DDR5 is so $$$$$
so you cannot buy the DDR5 board and use your DDR4 memory, then just upgrade ram?

thx guys...

Totally different. Everything from the pinout to the voltage regulation.

then
mobo/cpu
then get a 30xx card....

but my question here...

thx guys...

Just get DDR5 might cost arm and leg but the performance is worth it higher fps in games. I have DDR4 but wish I went DDR5 for my Alder Lake build. Raptor lake is a drop in upgrade for current Z690 boards due in fall.

Just get DDR5 might cost arm and leg but the performance is worth it higher fps in games. I have DDR4 but wish I went DDR5 for my Alder Lake build. Raptor lake is a drop in upgrade for current Z690 boards due in fall.

ok so yes sounds like when i get to that point.. look for slower DDR5 memory for time being until fully built with new video card which will be last, then circle back and save for DDR5 memory.. gotcha...

By the time I get to the Mobo/CPU/memory time - the 13th gen's might be hitting, so who knows then... jump there possibly..
havent built a pc since my q6600 build yall recommended.. lol

other than that, been using dell and lenovo pc's... so it is time to step up the game..

current gaming rig only hits 40-50fps in COD Warzone with EVERYTHING off or as low as can go... sucks... but I do keep 1440p resolution.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2387-ddr4-vs-ddr5/

I think the average is maybe 4% tops with 6000 CL36 DDR5 (super expensive).

Honestly, I'm not sure the difference is worth it until DDR5 is mainstream.

If the game you play likes memory bandwidth, DDR5 is a winner. If the game you play likes memory latency, DDR4 is a winner.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2387-ddr4-vs-ddr5/

I think the average is maybe 4% tops with 6000 CL36 DDR5 (super expensive).

Honestly, I'm not sure the difference is worth it until DDR5 is mainstream.

If the game you play likes memory bandwidth, DDR5 is a winner. If the game you play likes memory latency, DDR4 is a winner.
how do you tell?

call of duty warzone, call of duty vanguard, microsoft world war z is really it.
do run autocad inventor
on machine

how do you tell?

call of duty warzone, call of duty vanguard, microsoft world war z is really it.
do run autocad inventor
on machine

Off the top of my head, I would think that games that rely on high FPS would be more memory bandwidth sensitive (shooters, etc) and CPU intensive games (turn based, RTS, etc.) would be more latency sensitive.

Not really sure about Autocad.

I chose a DDR4 board for 3 reasons. Fist I had several decent DDR4 32gb kits on hand. And Second I caught an open box deal with the $20 off CPU combo at Microcenter on a D4 board. So I updated a PC to a new platform just purchasing 2 components. Third DDR5 was still hard to come by and stupid expensive instead if just really expensive like now. As long as you can do 3600 gear 1 DDR5 isn’t enough of an improvement yet IMO so there is that. With that being said If you are buying ram anyway may as well spring for the current stuff. I’m not buying any brand new DDR4 personally at this point. If I need some it will be purchased second hand going forward. My 2c

You'd probably be better off spending the extra $100 that DDR5 would cost on something else in the pc that would have a bigger impact like going from a 6-8 core, gpu, or more storage.

So which z690 board is proving to be best all around? price/performance/oc etc? I was looking at a few MSI boards.

So which z690 board is proving to be best all around? price/performance/oc etc? I was looking at a few MSI boards.
I have the MSI MPG Z690 Edge DDR4 board and really like it over the Aorus Elite DDR4 board I had previously. Are you looking for a DDR4 or DDR5 board?

I have the MSI MPG Z690 Edge DDR4 board and really like it over the Aorus Elite DDR4 board I had previously. Are you looking for a DDR4 or DDR5 board?
I'm considering going with the MSI Z690 Carbon EK-X although It is very expensive It would drop into my loop perfectly lol. The problem is I can't find any good selection on DDR5 6000mhz in 64GB dual channel kits. I think I read that have 4 modules of 16GB isn't as good as have 2 modules of 32GB on Z690? Any truth to this?

I'm considering going with the MSI Z690 Carbon EK-X although It is very expensive It would drop into my loop perfectly lol. The problem is I can't find any good selection on DDR5 6000mhz in 64GB dual channel kits. I think I read that have 4 modules of 16GB isn't as good as have 2 modules of 32GB on Z690? Any truth to this?
I believe Jayztwocents mentioned that at some point from a overclocking perspective. I run 4 sticks of eight compared to two 16GB sticks previously without issue, but I'm not a heavy overclocker. Just running them at the advertised 4400mhz is all.

The truth is, running four sticks is akin to running eight. Each DDR5 module is dual-channel to begin with. Two modules makes quad channel, four becomes eight and so on. The problem is that you can't clock DDR5 nearly as high running four sticks as you can using only two.
I believe Jayztwocents mentioned that at some point from a overclocking perspective. I run 4 sticks of eight compared to two 16GB sticks previously without issue, but I'm not a heavy overclocker. Just running them at the advertised 4400mhz is all.
Those speeds are very low for DDR5 but that's all you are likely to achieve running four of them. In my opinion, DDR5 isn't worth using at all unless you push for higher speeds. Preferably exceeding DDR5 6000MHz.

The truth is, running four sticks is akin to running eight. Each DDR5 module is dual-channel to begin with. Two modules makes quad channel, four becomes eight and so on. The problem is that you can't clock DDR5 nearly as high running four sticks as you can using only two.

Those speeds are very low for DDR5 but that's all you are likely to achieve running four of them. In my opinion, DDR5 isn't worth using at all unless you push for higher speeds. Preferably exceeding DDR5 6000MHz.
The issue is there are no DDR5 6000 64GB kits available right? Do you know of any? I only see them in 32GB. I've ran 32GB for over 5 years or more I am not going to buy another 32GB kit. I want this next build to last me another 5 years or more so I def want a 64GB kit this time.

Should have mentioned I'm running DDR4.

The issue is there are no DDR5 6000 64GB kits available right? Do you know of any? I only see them in 32GB. I've ran 32GB for over 5 years or more I am not going to buy another 32GB kit. I want this next build to last me another 5 years or more so I def want a 64GB kit this time.

hah 5y expectancy??? i am building and last build was 2009!!!! lol
hope to see what ya do cuz i am wondering what mobo to go with next

is there a board with ddr4 x8 slots? i have 8x16gb ddr4 i would love to move into a new system (got case and psu now and looking into mobo/cpu)

ok so yes sounds like when i get to that point.. look for slower DDR5 memory for time being until fully built with new video card which will be last, then circle back and save for DDR5 memory.. gotcha...

By the time I get to the Mobo/CPU/memory time - the 13th gen's might be hitting, so who knows then... jump there possibly..
havent built a pc since my q6600 build yall recommended.. lol

other than that, been using dell and lenovo pc's... so it is time to step up the game..

current gaming rig only hits 40-50fps in COD Warzone with EVERYTHING off or as low as can go... sucks... but I do keep 1440p resolution.
It's the most CPU demanding game ever made brother. Warzone 2 looks very similar too, at COD Next the machines running the game were I9s, likely with zero tuning, and only hit 140fps average. Just ordered a 13900kf.

It's the most CPU demanding game ever made brother. Warzone 2 looks very similar too, at COD Next the machines running the game were I9s, likely with zero tuning, and only hit 140fps average. Just ordered a 13900kf.
woah... just did a quick google.. $630... right where the 12th gen was.. did you get a better deal? and what mobo did you order? I am looking at ordering mobo/cpu soon... was waiting for the releases...

Just ordered a MSI MPG DDR5 Z690 EDGE motherboard along with the EKWB EK-Quantum Velocity 2 CPU Water Block D-RGB - 1700, Nickel/Plexi looking forward to those 2 parts together.

Just ordered a MSI MPG DDR5 Z690 EDGE motherboard along with the EKWB EK-Quantum Velocity 2 CPU Water Block D-RGB - 1700, Nickel/Plexi looking forward to those 2 parts together.
The water block is really nice. That's what I'm running in my machine.

The water block is really nice. That's what I'm running in my machine.
will this mobo support 13th gen cpu? I need to order a mobo, cpu, etc as i am in a build.. been waiting till drop of 13th gen... didnt want to go ddr5... but if i have too

So this was from May... we still good in October for this mobo as a good round about choice? gonna order a board soon and ready... getting my amazon gift cards together... lol...

So this was from May... we still good in October for this mobo as a good round about choice? gonna order a board soon and ready... getting my amazon gift cards together... lol...

MSI boards seem to have pretty good VRMs this gen. I'm running the cheaper Z690-A board and it works fine.

MSI boards seem to have pretty good VRMs this gen. I'm running the cheaper Z690-A board and it works fine.
which one? i am looking and the MPG is stil $275 on amazon.. i got $120 in gift cards, hence want to go there... looking to go i9-13900k...
or suck it up and get MPG version?

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-DDR4-ProSeries-Motherboard-Socket/dp/B09GLD6LYW/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=msi+z690-a&qid=1665666153&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjM4IiwicXNhIjoiMi4yNCIsInFzcCI6IjEuNjEifQ==&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

If you scroll down and select a "used like new" board it is only $139. I've thought about swapping in a 13900k, but it's probably overkill for my needs. Likely a 13700k is enough.

Edit: There's also a wifi version, but I linked the non-wifi version since that's the one I actually own.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
https://www.amazon.com/MSI-DDR4-ProSeries-Motherboard-Socket/dp/B09GLD6LYW/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=msi+z690-a&qid=1665666153&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjM4IiwicXNhIjoiMi4yNCIsInFzcCI6IjEuNjEifQ==&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

If you scroll down and select a "used like new" board it is only $139. I've thought about swapping in a 13900k, but it's probably overkill for my needs. Likely a 13700k is enough.

Edit: There's also a wifi version, but I linked the non-wifi version since that's the one I actually own.

few good boards at that price..

leaving this here for others to see current prices and some specs quickly compared.

Board...............................................PCIe 16x....PCIe 1x.....M.2 Slots
MSI Pro............................ $139.... ...3-16x...........1-1x...........4-m.2 <== ordered
ASRock Phantom............. $140.... ...2-16x...........3-1x...........3-m.2
ASRock Steel Legend...... $140.... ...3-16x...........2-1x...........3-m.2
Gigabyte UD..................... $140.... ...3-16x...........2-1x...........3-m.2
Asus Prime z690 ............. $145.... ...3-16x...........1-1x...........3-m.2
ASRock PG Riptide.......... $150.... ...2-16x...........3-1x...........2-m.2
MSI MAG z690 ................ $180.... ...3-16x...........1-1x...........4-m.2

Last edited:

with tax $150... ordered and be here saturday. I do not have a CPU for it... yet lol.. need a heatsink as well

with tax $150... ordered and be here saturday. I do not have a CPU for it... yet lol.. need a heatsink as well

If you still have Amazon cards, the Thermalright Peerless Assassin is usually pretty cheap on Amazon. Usually sub ~$40.

I also have one of these that seems to help out, but if money is tight you can skip it or get it cheaper on Ebay.

I chose the Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR5 and a 12700K and 32GB DDR5 5600 (corsair) it has been good and stable and had features I wanted/ needed for $200 it is fine.

I have no complaints ... It is possible I should have just got a DDR4 board..but whatever. I needed a couple things enough SATA ports as for some reason in 2022 I have 5 SATA devices and I really wanted Optical out for audio as I have my audio setup to use an Optical DAC and I didn't want to have to rethink / redo that now? Additionally having onboard WiFi was nice as thanx to how bad my spectrum internet is sometimes with going down frequently, having onboard WiFi to use my phone as a hotspot is nice..before I was plugging in a USB WiFi adapter when the cable internet would go down.

My build has been quite stable / good once I got it up and running had use the qflash button to get this thing to post at first for some reason...I think** because of the Corsair DDR5 5600 but whatever after the qflash thing posted fine and has worked pretty flawlessly since.

antibending.jpg

I also bought the mentioned above Thermal Right Peerless Assassin 120 and it is pretty decent.. I got annoyed mounting it, but I may have just been having a bad day?

If you still have Amazon cards, the Thermalright Peerless Assassin is usually pretty cheap on Amazon. Usually sub ~$40.

I also have one of these that seems to help out, but if money is tight you can skip it or get it cheaper on Ebay.
ordered fan.. will get other piece when i order the cpu... thx
While money is never not tight.. i stuck to amazon cuz like said.. had gift cards. all used up on mobo and fan! thx! well $20 is all i paid.

Last edited:
Either one is still fine as others have mentioned.

so back in Oct 2022, I bought this Motherboard!!!! wow.. what a slow build!
well I finally ordered my final piece... i9-13900k !!!!!

cannot get the system to work. All google results say update bios so I attempted it. Well, buying "Renewed" burned me here!!!!

whomever returned it broke off the flash button!!!!!!

so went on amazon to try and find my receipt and cant find it. Found my reply here stating Oct 13, 2022 so I had that ... contacted amazon and long story short, for some reason that one order isnt showing but she found it!!!!
so now i have to wait 48h for them to get back to me and all. she put a note that i want a replacement. so once again.. slow build gonna take more time...

Back