What ya using your 1x slots for?

Orddie

2[H]4U
Was hoping to get a 10GBe Network card to fit a 1x PCI Slot. Cant find one.
Was hoping to get a M.2 expansion card to fit a 1x PCi slot. Cant find one.

What say you [H]. what ya using your 1x slots for?

Not sure you're going to find those cards you seek, afaik most cards that aren't x16 will be x4. I'm sure others will chime in.

And nothing. I have my video card vertically mounted so even if I had cards I wanted to use, I'm SOL. Only thing I could see me using a less than x16 slot for in the future is a 10gbe NIC but that's probably far off as prices aren't falling that quickly on new/used 10gbe network gear. I'd need two NIC's and a switch and I don't feel like going broke.

A discrete sound or wifi card is usually only 1x. I have a couple USB 3.0 cards for old boards that have PCI express, but no onboard USB 3 headers.

I have 2 PCIe 1x soundacards, both being the Auzentech HomeTheatre. I also have a PCIe 4x card, the HighPoint RocketRAID 644L that drives a 5-bay external drive array. I've seen an 8x RAID card, but physical 8x slots are pretty rare - Usually they just make an x16 slot with only x8 worth of lanes to it.

My M.2 is X4, as it should be for the full bandwidth.
I'm using a USB 3 hub in one of my 1x slots, and the other one is for a digital TV tuner (which I use to DVR through Plex)

WiFi/BT card in one setup.

dual port i350 gigabit nic in another. (Most of these are x4 but winyao makes some x1 versions).

not sure what else there is to put in one - USB port card maybe? Sound card if you’re still living in the 90s?

Knock on wood I haven't needed them on my Garbo amd mobos yet.

They need the most help with audio&nic unless you spend stupid $.

Nothing 1x in mine. I have a diamond media capture card that is 1x but I don't use it. My scsi controller is 4x. Actually works in a B450 and windows 10 works with my LTO3 drive. I don't think AMD or MS anticipated my use case, but it works

I had either a modem, NIC, wifi, or sound card that used x1 at some point in time. It was so long ago, I can't remember what it was now.

I have an IDE/SATA2 expansion card that uses x1. also an intel network adapter that is x1, and an Audigy RX sound card.

Was hoping to get a 10GBe Network card to fit a 1x PCI Slot. Cant find one.
Was hoping to get a M.2 expansion card to fit a 1x PCi slot. Cant find one.

What say you [H]. what ya using your 1x slots for?

Seeing as your v3.x 1x slot is limited to 985 MB/s, it's no wonder you can't find a 10Gb/s Network Card or M.2 expansion for it.

Last edited:
I use a Soundblaster ZxR in one machine and USB3 card in another

My old Xeon system used 3, pair of USB3 cards and Soundblaster ZX
The system didn't actually have 1x slots, just used 1x cards in the 8 and 16 slots.
IMG_1695.JPG

Seeing as your v3.x 1x slot is limited to 985 MB/s, it's no wonder you can't find a 10Gb/s Network Card or M.2 expansion for it.
You realize that's 8gbps? I mean, you might not max out a 10gbe but it would still be much better than 1gbe. Also, 982MB/s is twice as fast as most SATA SSDs, although not near as fast as NVME could be so this one I could see falling pretty shorr. I think the only thing I've used a pcie x1 slot for is WiFi, hit typically they are empty as most others are.

Nothing.
I plugged a soundcard in to see how good it was. Pretty poor tbh but anything internal thats expected.
Thats been my only use for a PCIE x1 slot, ever.

What sort of frame rates would I be looking at with card at 480p?

:D
You mean how many seconds per frame? Lol. Seriously though, pcie x1 was all the rate during the mining boom, as the data transfered was minimal and easily handled by x1. They would use pcie bitfurcation (split multiple pcie lanes into individual lanes) to use a cheap MB and CPU to run many GPUs in a single system.

A capture card, for some reason.

I am hoping (vainly) for a PCIe 4.0 x1 10GbE card to come out. Not likely, but still a hope.

I installed a SATA PCI-E 1x card so I can keep running a DVD burner only because I had one on hand. I have yet to actually have a need for this.

Back