what upgrade should i go with to gain the most performance

Jbort1984

[H]ard|Gawd
OK my current rig is a
3820 cpu
msi 2011 x79-gd45 plus motherboard
24gb ddr3 ripjaw memory
2x xfx DD Ghost 7950 in x-fire

Now will I get more performance in an upgrade going from the 3820 to a 4930k or would a pair of gtx 770s gain me more performance.

Agreed assuming this is for a gaming rig: Overclock the CPU and upgrade the GPUs.

A pair of 770s wouldn't really be much of an upgrade, and your CPU is already very fast.

Go with a pair of 780s or 290s and keep the CPU. If you don't have the money for those GPUs then just wait because 770s aren't worth the cost to upgrade to them.

issue with the cpu is no real overclockability

No real overclockability in what way? Those CPUs, while not fully unlocked, are still highly overclockable, due to their lack of a bus speed multiplier lock. The 3820 should run at a 1.25x multiplier (or 125MHz bus) with absolutely no issue. You also have 3 or 4 multipliers above stock to use as well IIRC, so you should have no issue in maximizing the potential of the CPU.

As for your memory, I don't know how you managed 24GB, except in triple channel, using 2 DIMMs per channel (DPC) in a 6x4GB setup. Reconfigure your memory to attain a quad channel (4x4GB) at 1 DPC to lower the load on the memory controller (IMC), which should make your overclock much easier.

I have a 16gb kit 4x4 and an 8gb kit 4x2gb. And the cpu I cant get a stable oc over 4.4ghz

I have a 16gb kit 4x4 and an 8gb kit 4x2gb. And the cpu I cant get a stable oc over 4.4ghz
It's hardly going to make any difference going over 4.4GHz. There's no reason to upgrade that setup for a marginal chance that you might get a higher overclock. With a 4.4GHz 3820 you are going to be GPU bound in almost every circumstance.

If your just going to SLI or crossfire then you can just get 3770k, you don't need a 2011 chipset unless you are going over two cards.

I would get a 3770k (decent overclocker) and 290 if reasonably priced or 780's

If your just going to SLI or crossfire then you can just get 3770k, you don't need a 2011 chipset unless you are going over two cards.

Sorry but this is really bad advice. The 3820 is already as fast as the 3770k if not faster, and if he can get to 4.4GHz on the 3820 then there is no reason to switch to an inferior platform for a sidegrade CPU that may or may not make any difference at all.

OP just upgrade your video cards, clock the 3820 to 4.4 and call it a day. If you switch CPUs at this point you are largely wasting your money.

So your recommendation would be to drop the LGA 2011 chipset entirely to switch to a consumer high-end chip that it basically matches exactly in performance? That's a little silly as the 3770K really has nothing up on the 3820 at all. We are long past the: overclocking-will-dramatically-boost-your-performance! world. Doing a 1Ghz OC nowadays is easy and does very little like a few hundred megahertz would have a decade ago.

The only thing that system could need an upgrade for in the next 3 years is on the GPU side of things. Unless we start to see some radical utilization of multi-core systems and huge improvements in future CPU's past this 2-5% yearly boost, any upgrade is just a waste of money for little gain.

yea thanxs for the input im gonna hold off till next gen any way I got the performance games are gonna be minimal at best.

I would say it depends on what resolution you're running. I wouldn't upgrade anything if you're running at 1080/1200p. Those GPU's are more than capable, especially with two of them at that resolution.

Why would he replace his 2011 setup with an 1150?

Stupid posts like that are made when people don't bother reading the thread. In all likelihood he just read the title, and is most likely just spam posting to get access to FS/FT, seeing as how he has n00bie status.

In what configuration are you running 24GB of RAM?

If 6x 4GB sticks, you should have 16GB running in quad channel mode, and 8GB running in dual channel mode.

At what speed is your RAM running at?

With proper cooling, you should be able to hit 4.8-4.9Ghz with the 3820 (see my sig).

Back