What to do with HD 7750 1gb

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
Got a Low profile Visiontek HD 7750 from the mystery box. Part of me wants to stick it in my Plex server for no reason. The other part thinks sticking it in a SFF cheap Dell and play old games and emulators on living room rv. Suggestions anyone?

Got a Low profile Visiontek HD 7750 from the mystery box. Part of me wants to stick it in my Plex server for no reason. The other part thinks sticking it in a SFF cheap Dell and play old games and emulators on living room rv. Suggestions anyone?
Wait for AMD to fill out the RX 7000 line, and list it on ebay as AMD Radeon 7750 and see if anybody bites ;)

Wait for AMD to fill out the RX 7000 line, and list it on ebay as AMD Radeon 7750 and see if anybody bites ;)
Oh god, I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

These were very good cards at the time. I have one, albeit not a lp card sitting in my workbench PC. All it will ever do is maybe render the odd little 3d model or kicad board. This machines motherboard is a 760g so it literally has onboard graphics, but the 7750 is in there cause why not

It can be okay for a basic HTPC card. I'm using a 7770 in my HTPC. It's HDMI port supports 4k @ 24/30Hz, which is enough since almost all movies are 24Hz. It can do hardware h264 but not h265, although if your CPU is decent you should be able to do h265 in software. There are better cards but I refused to spend $100+ for a Geforce 1030 or similar.

Will it hardware encode h.264 with handbrake? My Plex server does all my encoding using the I5 6500. I think it’s a 6500 anyway. The server is an optiplex 3040 desktop variant with low pro card slots

I put it in. Got some hard crashes once drivers were installed , display flickers, driver crashes. So it’s one dead paperweight. I’ve got one other computer I can test it in. But not sure it’s worth bothering. It does display so I can use it as a backup still

Kinda thinking about an RX 6400 lp.

My Plex server does all my encoding using the I5 6500. I think it’s a 6500 anyway. The server is an optiplex 3040 desktop variant with low pro card slots
I put it in. Got some hard crashes once drivers were installed , display flickers, driver crashes. So it’s one dead paperweight.

One last thing you could try would be to use the integrated graphics on the 6500 CPU as your primary graphics. You should still be able to use the 7750 with plex even if it's not set as the primary display output.

I put it in. Got some hard crashes once drivers were installed , display flickers, driver crashes. So it’s one dead paperweight. I’ve got one other computer I can test it in. But not sure it’s worth bothering. It does display so I can use it as a backup still

Kinda thinking about an RX 6400 lp.
Maybe try a different driver and or different OS?

Reactions: travm
like this
It shows light artefacting in bios. I haven’t given up on it but I have my doubts. I can boot an old Ubuntu live cd to see. It’s running windows 10 and upgraded from the I5 6500 igpu. I never put anything special in it. It’s just an optiplex 3040

I've started putting in some older cards and they just dont want to work with newer boards or systems due to BIOS etc. I'm now tossing anything pre 2015 really.

If I feel like it, I’ll sight in the old M1 garand on it.. I’m not really sure I want to waste too much time on it being it’s a gimped ddr3 card.

I got an eBay seller to take a $17 offer on a R5 430 2gb, which is an OEM only card that is a little slower than a 7750 gddr5 but faster than a GT 730. The R5 430 is a gddr5 card but is slightly gimped with a 64 bit bus. If it doesn’t do what I want it to. I’ll stick it in the spare drawer and grab an R7 450 which is basically a HD7750 4gb re brand and they are about $40

Back