What Ryzen CPUs can this cool sufficiently?

I would think any of the 65W CPUs should work fine. If you start moving up to the 105W ones, I think you'd run into throttling issues, especially in a smaller case.

I would think any of the 65W CPUs should work fine. If you start moving up to the 105W ones, I think you'd run into throttling issues, especially in a smaller case.
130w on the cooler is wrong then, I wissh the TDP scale was better. I am wanting a Ryzen 9 5900/50x in a SG05 with no underclocking/volting required, any smaller coolers that can handle that CPU as it comes? Or any short cases that can fit a bigger cooler?

Last edited:
139w on the cooler is wrong then, I wissh the TDP scale was better. I am wanting a Ryzen 9 5900/50x in a SG05 with no underclocking/volting required, any smaller coolers that can handle that CPU as it comes? Or aby short cases that can fit a bigger cooler?

You might be able to do that if you turn on "Eco" mode in Ryzen master (or the equivalent setting in bios). It pretty much hard caps it at the 105W, and you might be able to get away with it.

You might be able to do that if you turn on "Eco" mode in Ryzen master (or the equivalent setting in bios). It pretty much hard caps it at the 105W, and you might be able to get away with it.

If the chip is not 105w why would AMD's site say that
, got me all exited. The TDP system needs a refresh.

You might be able to fit a 120mm AIO on the front of the case. I'm not sure if it would interfere with any drive mounts.

Who knows. But either way, a 5900x or 5950x is going to draw somewhat more than the 130W TDP of the cooler, and from what I've read, that 130W TDP rating of the cooler is generous. To put it in perspective, I have a Noctua D9L which is rated to 140W (or 165W depending on where you read), and it barely cools a 5600x in a small case with a higher end video card.

Who knows. But either way, a 5900x or 5950x is going to draw somewhat more than the 130W TDP of the cooler, and from what I've read, that 130W TDP rating of the cooler is generous. To put it in perspective, I have a Noctua D9L which is rated to 140W (or 165W depending on where you read), and it barely cools a 5600x in a small case with a higher end video card.
Basically what kirbyrj is saying is that your cooler might be able to cool a 5900x or 5950x sufficiently in a cpu only load in a case with proper airflow while the video card is idling, however if your video card is stressing and is dumping hot air into your case then the ability of your cpu cooler to cool a loaded 5900x or 5950x is diminished since the hot air can’t absorb as much heat. That’s why we generally oversize the cooler to compensate

I guess that depends on what you consider to be sufficient cooling. I have a 3900x with a cheap Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black on it combined with a 3080ti FTW3 Hybrid running at 450w (configured as intake) and have not seen any cpu temps over 70C or so while gaming. It will hit 80C running things like Cinebench. Probably would go higher if I combined the full output of the 3080ti with Cinebench, but there's not very many real world usages that severe.

I couldn't find much comparing the CM to the SR LP though. I suspect they are similar, but don't know that for sure.

Marketing basically. Both Intel and AMD do it and to a degree the chips support it when they're running "as advertised", however they no longer run "as advertised" out-of-the-box in many instances due to newer boost algorithms that allow free boosting (all-core up to rated max boost, if possible) and use as much juice as is deemed safe, within motherboard default settings. They basically market TDP and stock boost clocks as half-truths because you either get one or the other under specific circumstances.

If you are shooting for stock performance, even though you said you didn't want to, a 5900x can probably hold stock performance with a very substantial undervolt and some curve optimization.

I think you could shoehorn it down into the thermal envelope... but the case had better be something with a lot of airflow and mesh.

It will probably come down to whether the heat from whatever video card you choose can be dumped out of the case efficiently enough without also soaking the CPU.

For gaming I don't think you'd have a problem with a 5900x and that cooler. Even with PBO enabled. If you do have heavily multithreaded workloads, especially AVX workloads, then you would probably need to lock it to its not boost frequencies to stay cool or undervolt it.

Alternatively you could put a better louder fan on it like an industrial noctua fan, that would probably cut it if you don't mind some fan noise.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I second the noctua industrial fans, I cool my wife's 9900k at 5.2 ghz with 2 of them in push/pull on a d15. It works great, they never spin to 3k except the one time when I was seeing how high I could overclock it and the 2080ti ftw3 ultra something or another. edit, those are 140s the link is 120s.

Welcome to the reality.
PS don't look into how money is printed! If you think you have issues with TDP well...I don't want to ruin your life\
And isn't Intel the bigger culprit here? Not sure, so just asking?

Last edited:
Welcome to the reality.
PS don't look into how money is printed! If you think you have issues with TDP well...I don't want to ruin your life\
And isn't Intel the bigger culprit here? Not sure, so just asking?
What a odd system they came up with.

Even a 360mm CLC with fans at 2,000 RPM (coolant at ~30°C) has issues cooling the 105w parts outside of specification (e.g PPT = 165W).

Even a 360mm CLC with fans at 2,000 RPM (coolant at ~30°C) has issues cooling the 105w parts outside of specification (e.g PPT = 165W).
I had no issues running a 5950x in a Sliger S610 case, with an EK 240mm AIO with Be Quiet fans.

edward78 I would suggest looking at a different case. There are better designs around the same size as the SG05, which give your more cooling options. Including newer SG cases from Silverstone.

I had no issues running a 5950x in a Sliger S610 case, with an EK 240mm AIO with Be Quiet fans.

edward78 I would suggest looking at a different case. There are better designs around the same size as the SG05, which give your more cooling options. Including newer SG cases from Silverstone.

I had one in a Coolermaster NR200 with a Corsair H100x. I definitely got better thermals pulling it into an ATX system with a larger case and larger cooler though.

I had one in a Coolermaster NR200 with a Corsair H100x. I definitely got better thermals pulling it into an ATX system with a larger case and larger cooler though.
Of course a larger cooler will give better temps.

However, NR200 are very good for cooling potential. They don't lose much to a larger case. The NR200 max even comes with a 280mm AIO pre-installed.

Back