What relatively compact case fits a 1200 watt PSU?

Icy006

Limp Gawd
Broke down the mining rig a long time ago, now I'm thinking gaming PC upgrade. This HX1200 is huge. Any tips on the smallest case I can get away with?

Additional info on what you want would help. Going full ATX mobo or itx? I would assume ATX, but you never know. Need HDD storage? Need a 5.25" bay? Going air cooling, AIO or custom loop?

Additional info on what you want would help. Going full ATX mobo or itx? I would assume ATX, but you never know. Need HDD storage? Need a 5.25" bay? Going air cooling, AIO or custom loop?
Good point. I'm going midrange, definitely not bleeding-edge.

I prioritize quiet and reliable, not interested in overclocking. Don't need a ton of storage, shouldn't need more than m.2 and maybe a couple 2.5".

Probably don't need full ATX. GPU likely my only PCI card.

As a point of reference, my current system is in a Cougar QBX, which I kinda love. But I do want a little more PSU and GPU space.

Last edited:
If not bleeding edge then why the need for such a big PSU? I get that 4000 series NVIDIA is out and will likely need something bigger, again depending on what you go with 4080 or higher. Just saying because having a large PSU is going to limit your ability to have ultra compact like you're used to.

With all that being said, here's a couple of cases that might work for you. They probably won't be as small as your current case, but on the smaller side.

Lian Li O11 Air Mini - Can handle the AX1200(200mm in length), able to do ATX, M-ATX or ITX.

Fractal Design makes smaller versions of their larger cases. The internals are general the same just the out aesthetics.
- Meshify 2 Nano
- Define 7 Nano
They also have mini versions that are the same depth, just taller to allow for M-ATX mobos
- Meshify 2 Mini
- Define 7 Mini

If you want to spend a bunch of money you can look at Sliger cases. Some very compact cases for what you can put in them. They are very nice and well constructed and anyone that's put forth the money has liked them. I just don't have any personal experience with them.

Anyways some food for thought.

If not bleeding edge then why the need for such a big PSU?
It's actually the opposite of what it appears. I already own it (from a long-ago torn down mining rig)! My current gaming PC has a 450w, which limits my options more than I'd like.

So either I upgrade my tiny PSU, or upgrade the case. Incidentally, the Cougar can't fit a lot of the modern GPU chonkers, so new case it is.

As for your recommendations -- thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for! These all look fantastic.

Back