What number do you think is a lot of wireless devices at home?

trick0502

Supreme [H]ardness
What do you think is a lot of wireless devices at home?

How many devices do you have?

I don't know how to define "a lot". But I did just look and I have 63 wifi clients currently attached at my house. I would guess that makes my network somewhat above average.

I’m at 21 right now, but I think I peak around 24. It just seem every time I look there’s 1 or 2 more things.

5BE19915-DED2-403B-8D0E-BD9259D6A7D0.png

This number is going to fluctuate a lot. A better question would be how many devices and bandwidth load can you wireless router or AP handle?
Better yet how good is the signal you have throughout the home?
to trick0502 Bet a bunch of those are expired or dead connections. Showing but not cleared. OR you have some neighbor connecting.

That’s how many I have on a normal basis. Coverage is great. Got a 2000sqft ranch with 3 aps. One at each end of the house and one in the basement. With this setup I can get a 5g Wi-Fi anywhere on my property. I think each of the pros could handle 50 clients each and the nano is think is like 100 clients. No real problems with 20-25 devices. It’s just every time I look, there seems to be more and more things. All my things, but just more of them. It’s just something you don’t realize until you look at it.

All the little things add up these days with everyone piece of electronics going IoT. Dyson fans, Canary/Arlo camera's, Sonos speakers, Amazon Alexa devices, ect. are always on, always connected for the most part. Thankfully mesh systems can handle everything these days and I don't have to wire APs all over the house.

All the little things add up these days with everyone piece of electronics going IoT. Dyson fans, Canary/Arlo camera's, Sonos speakers, Amazon Alexa devices, ect. are always on, always connected for the most part. Thankfully mesh systems can handle everything these days and I don't have to wire APs all over the house.
I'd be wiring the APs just so I could force stuff to a bunch of different SIDs and channels... and then back to a managed switch and one or more routers (with next-gen firewalls) to try and isolate it all properly.

And do so without breaking something that someone else cares about!

Too many devices happens when you have no more IPs to offer from your DHCP server.

hmmm ..
1 Xbox One
5 Alexa devices (2 Spots,2 Dots, 1 Show)
5 Alexa friendly plugs (controlling lights)
1 Alexa friendly Thermostat
3 Cell Phones
2 Tablets
1 Brother All-in-One Laser Printer

All connected via 4 Ubiquiti AP's connected to an Edgerouter X-SFP w/Unifi Controller running in a jail on my FreeNAS

Wired, I still have
Another XBOX One
3 PC's
1 Laptop
1 FreeNAS box
1 NiteOwl 8 Security Camera setup (BNC)
1 Netgear GS748TV4 Switch

Last edited:
Bunch of power users here.

I am not about the smart home life at all - don't trust those companies whatsoever.
I have 3 devices in my house on wireless. Cell phone, table and laptop.
Everything else is hardwired.

Bunch of power users here.

I am not about the smart home life at all - don't trust those companies whatsoever.
I have 3 devices in my house on wireless. Cell phone, table and laptop.
Everything else is hardwired.

Story time.

For a typical home, I'd think more than 30 would constitute a "large number" of WiFi connected devices. (today)

I am generally skeptical of all things IOT, and try to use wired Ethernet when possible for as much as I can, so for me, more than like 10-15 devices is "a lot".

Right now on my network I have the following wireless devices:
- Two Smartpohones
- Two Tablets
- Two Laptops
- One Nest Thermostat (isolated on it's own VLAN)

So, a total of 7.

Everything else (and there is a lot) is wired Ethernet.

I'd imagine that many consumer routers might run into problems if you get more than 255 devices. They generally use the 192.168.1.xxx private address block, with a CIDR notation of /24, so that means you get 8 bits, or the last block of addresses.

At least that was the case when I used to use consumer routers, but I have been using pfSense so long now that I have no idea what the current generation looks like.

I am generally skeptical of all things IOT, and try to use wired Ethernet when possible for as much as I can, so for me, more than like 10-15 devices is "a lot".

Right now on my network I have the following wireless devices:
- Two Smartpohones
- Two Tablets
- Two Laptops
- One Nest Thermostat (isolated on it's own VLAN)

So, a total of 7.

Everything else (and there is a lot) is wired Ethernet.

I'd imagine that many consumer routers might run into problems if you get more than 255 devices. They generally use the 192.168.1.xxx private address block, with a CIDR notation of /24, so that means you get 8 bits, or the last block of addresses.

At least that was the case when I used to use consumer routers, but I have been using pfSense so long now that I have no idea what the current generation looks like.
hmm ..that's a good idea keeping thermostat on it's own VLAN ..that and my other Alexa friendly devices .. hmm .. 🤔

hmm ..that's a good idea keeping thermostat on it's own VLAN ..that and my other Alexa friendly devices .. hmm .. 🤔
SSID, subnet, VLAN... put IoT in the deepest hole you can dig.

Yeah, I have everything I don't trust on separate VLAN's with their own subnet.

The Samsung Smart TV is alone on its own network, as is the Vizio Smart TV.

There is one dedicated network just for NEST devices.

And then there is one dedicated network just for Fitbit devices.

I know it would be better to not have these things at all, because they are still collecting data and sending it to the mothership, but this is at least something I can do.

Yeah, I have everything I don't trust on separate VLAN's with their own subnet.

The Samsung Smart TV is alone on its own network, as is the Vizio Smart TV.

There is one dedicated network just for NEST devices.

And then there is one dedicated network just for Fitbit devices.

I know it would be better to not have these things at all, because they are still collecting data and sending it to the mothership, but this is at least something I can do.
I have a Netgear Nighthawk router. How can I create separate subnets? The first horse may be out of the barn, but I don't want the other horses to follow. :)

Back