What Mouse and Keyboard Are You Using Right Now?

So... I did a thing, went looking on Amazon Japan and figured out this wasn't super expensive with current exchange rates ($145 shipped) 4 days from Japan to me today..

ARCHISS Quattro TKL w/ Trackpoint and the worlds smallest space bar (which so far ~5minutes using it isn't really a problem... ) anyways fresh out the box .. cherry mx-browns / dye sub pbt keycaps.. kinda of love it so far... but will see after the "Honeymoon" the track point is pretty cool also.

1660346418696.png

1660346827233.png

So... I did a thing, went looking on Amazon Japan and figured out this wasn't super expensive with current exchange rates ($145 shipped) 4 days from Japan to me today..

ARCHISS Quattro TKL w/ Trackpoint and the worlds smallest space bar (which so far ~5minutes using it isn't really a problem... ) anyways fresh out the box .. cherry mx-browns / dye sub pbt keycaps.. kinda of love it so far... but will see after the "Honeymoon" the track point is pretty cool also.

View attachment 500234

View attachment 500236
JIS single space backspace was always weird to me more than the bottom row keys, nice price though with a eraserhead.

I'm real curious on the longevity of the G502 lightspeed mouse with charge pad. Any one having any issues with the battery yet?
Considering going wireless, but am curious how long one should expect the battery life to be good. Switching out batteries on the fly is no bueno for me.

View attachment 500234

View attachment 500236

That is interesting!

What kind of switches does that have?

I feel like I repeatedly would accidentally be hitting L-Button and R-Button while typing though :p

I'm also - unlike many in the tech world - not a nippophile, so I'd want to get a set of clean keycaps and get rid of all the katakana or hiragana (or whatever that stuff is) cluttering those things up, and make it look nice and clean.

I used to use a IBM Model M13 Trackpoint II back in the day:

5091177536_a2068d1217_z.jpg

I loved that keyboard, but honestly almost never used the trackpoint feature. I just liked that it was a black Model M. I wroe out the keycaps on it, and when I went to replace them found that I was getting the last replacement set in the world, so I cleaned it up and put it away and bought a Unicomp instead.

That was long ago though. Now I'm not even using the Unicomp anymore.

Last edited:
That is interesting!

What kind of switches does that have?

I feel like I repeatedly would accidentally be hitting L-Button and R-Button while typing though :p

I'm also - unlike many in the tech world - not a nippophile, so I'd want to get a set of clean keycaps and get rid of all the katakana or hiragana (or whatever that stuff is) cluttering those things up, and make it look nice and clean.
Hello, Mine has MX-Brown switches.. however it is also available in the usual suspects of blue, red, silent red and of course as in my case brown switches.

I wanted something different so I got the JIS version on purpose... it is also available in a ANSI format as well... I may well get the ANSI one as well... Dang strong US dollar is making Amazon Japan a dangerous place for me to start looking around on.

1662148761776.png

My G502 Proteus is still working great after all these years - however, the rubber part for the thumb is worn down, and it just overall looks like it's just beat to hell lol.

Went to best buy today to buy the new G502X wired - see how good it is.

As soon as I left BB, I pulled the packaging apart in my car and couldn't help but feel how cheap this new G502 variant is.

The G502 Hero/Proteus wired variants are easily two steps above in terms of quality: sturdiness, durability and feel.
The G502X reminded me of those cheap Amazon gaming mice you can buy for $15-$20.

Even for the $68 sale price, I had to immediately returned. Not even close to worth it.

Ended up buying two G502 Heros instead. Who knows how long they'll be around.
Got two mice that I love with a difference of +$12 versus that cheap plastic feeling overly expensive G502X.

Logitech went backwards here with this new lineup.

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Last edited:
I am using a Glorious GMMK2 96% form factor keyboard with the lubed Fox switches. So far I'm really enjoying it.

Last edited:
Maybe. I suspect my muscle memory has two different settings though.

I do use the same keyboard at home and at work though, just different switches. Both are Ducky One's. At home I have cherry MX Greens (without o-rings) which I use for all my home typing and gaming (more typing than gaming) and at work I use Cherry MX Clears with o-rings to keep it quieter.
I love my Ducky green! Took me forever to find one.

If it ain’t broke, why fix it. My original Dell PC keyboard from 2000? Maybe 2001? The oldest component of my system next to my Logitech Z-680 speakers. I have worn the print off the “C” key from crouching. Not bad for a 20+ year old keyboard.

Wired Intellimouse 3.0. The last of three I bought in 2006? Wore the other two out lol.

Will probably scour the Internet for new (not used) exact same thing to replace them when they finally break.
I think I have both of these somewhere in my collection of parts and stuff, so when they do wear out, give me a jingle. (y)

It makes sense to buy a few extras when you find one you like. You never know if they'll be around when you need a replacement.
And what's sad is this sentiment can be applied to buying almost anything today. If you find one you like at a price you like, stock up because 'new' will come and destroy what you love. :mad:

A couple of months ago, my brother brought me into the custom keyboard world as a birthday gift. I've switched things around a bit.

Here's my current setup:

Mouse:
Logitech G Pro Wireless

Keyboard:
IDOBAO ID80 Crystal (75%)

• Akko ASA Clear/White caps
  • EG Aqua King Linear 62g switches
  • Some custom space caps
  • Custom moon wrist rest

Not Pictured:
IDOBAO Montex (numpad)

View attachment 492257
Love those custom space caps! :)

I've got like 10 different gaming mice that I cycle between lol....it's a sickness!
It's only a sickness if you've got a 10 port usb hub and keep them all connected simultaneously for 'hot swapping' :D

Years ago, when I had my own office, I brought a Model M to work. It was great.

It was in an old building dating back to the era when engineers had their own offices, which was nice when I was there. In my carreer I haven't had my own office before or since.

These days, like everyone else, I have a cubicle at work, and I couldn't bring myself to use a Model M at work. I was concerned about annoying everyone because the keyboard was so loud.

You never know with these things. People may night mind, but others do. But you don't want to put others on the spot and make them feel like they have to say that they don't mind. A friend of mines colleague solved this by bringing a Model M to work, and emailing out an anonymous survey link to everyone within ear-shot so they could provide their input as to whether or not they were bothered, which I thought was a cool idea.

I decided to try something else instead. Because I was used to Model M's I still liked heavy tactile keys, so I went with a Cherry MX clear based quiet tactile bump keyboard, and installed O-rings on all of the keys to silence it. It works pretty well, is pretty nice to type on (but not as nice as the Model M) and is also reasonably quiet.

One of the great things about the relaunched MX518 is that it is pretty stealthy. Unless you know what you are looking at, it really doesn't stand out much in an office environment.

View attachment 492860

I cant believe it sells for only $28.50 with prime shipping on Amazon. It's probably the aesthetics that do it. All the gaming kids want colorful flashing lights and/or racing stripes these days, whereas this mouse has a nice conservative look. I hope that doens't get it discontinued. I already have 3 of them, but at $28.50 I might just buy a few spares so I'll always have one.

My only complaint is that at 101g I wish it weighed more out of the box, but a little tungsten putty modding solves that.
I'm sure I've posted this somewhere in this thread, but I brought a model M to work when I worked at the LG national call center. I was promoted to develop tools for the call center agents since I made so many for myself and one of the tasks I set out to do was to take all the various versions of owners manuals we had for the same product and organize it. Well this meant comparing pdfs, which the fastest way I found was to open both full screen and alt-tab between them and the differences would jump out at me on the screen. So I would open both, alt-tab in sucession so fast it was a like a drum roll and every so often press the right arrow to move pages. So my coworkers heard this 'druuumm druuumm druuumm druuumm druuumm druuumm' the whole day long since I worked almost every minute on this for months. At one point one of the crm system people walked by and was wondering what the hell I was doing that was creating that much noise. Still didn't bother the agents though and they never heard it--at least as far as I know. My tools helped them tremendously so maybe they didn't want me to stop even if it was a racket.

And I never asked to bring the Model M to work--I asked if I could use my own keyboard and IT said yes. :D I don't think anyone even knew what a Model M was back then (2004).

View attachment 500234

View attachment 500236
Reminds me of my Japanese Topre--you have to think of the space as a key to get used to it, lol.

JIS single space backspace was always weird to me more than the bottom row keys, nice price though with a eraserhead.
I believe even keytronic and some others in the early PC clone day even did this with their layouts. I never was a fan either.

So I don't even remember how I found this sale, but newegg had an aukey full size with cherry blues for $17.99 shipped. I was having a bad day so just got it to cheer myself up. I didn't think it was going to be anything special compared to all the clone 'blue' type of boards that I have that are alright and will do in a pinch when I don't have an M, but I was pleasantly surprised. The switches are aukey ones stamped on the switch and they are precise! Almost any blue switch to me feel inferior to the model M because the timing on the actuation point isn't the same I guess like it is on the M, but on this board it is tight! My hands fell in love and I put it on a 4th workstation setup I just put together. I also tried out two different designs of prerixx thumb trackballs since I didn't have a spare logitech wired for this setup. Pleasantly surprised and like using the smaller one better since the bigger one makes my ring finger want to hit the second mouse button since it's a bigger reach. Still work great for this new setup--hp zr30, wyse z90s7, aukey, and perixx. My usual setup is a Dell u3011, lenovo m32, unicomp 101 M, and logi thumb wired or Dell 3007wfp, wyse z90s7, blue label M, logi thumb wired, or hp zr30, fujitsu s920, cyberpower blue switch keyboard, and logi thumb wired. I don't change my setups much so my muscle memory head to toe doesn't have to change much. :)

work, kids, home. I’ll let you guess what’s what.

Attachments

• 55BC0C7E-20EF-4088-902C-C29802DC2798.jpeg
    55BC0C7E-20EF-4088-902C-C29802DC2798.jpeg
    482.1 KB · Views: 0
  • F27ACECD-89FB-4E0E-9842-841CAD95DF69.jpeg
    F27ACECD-89FB-4E0E-9842-841CAD95DF69.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 5826CB7C-E590-4D62-A87B-1CEDB9570E87.jpeg
    5826CB7C-E590-4D62-A87B-1CEDB9570E87.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 0
For any interested, the team behind the Dygma Raise ( my current keyboard, a 60% split ergonomic standard layout with actually useful macro key positions!) is working on their 2nd keyboard called Defy, a columnar split ergonomic similar to the ZSA Moonlander or ErgodoxEZ, but with some nice improvements to the layout and other tech; for instance, both sides do NOT need to have a cable connecting them to each other!. It has a lot of features included, but specifically the RGBW underglow (separate from the key backlighting RGBW, and has many zones), tenting ( goes up to 60 degrees, and 8 degree reverse tenting), and wireless (both RF and Bluetooth) are paid upgrades. Like the Raise, the firmware and config software are Linux friendly and libre/open source while the hardware uses open standards and the devs are very forthcoming with details on manufacturing/communication with the users. Note that the a Defy was on Kickstarter during the earliest days but can be ordered directly from their website - https://dygma.com/.

Shipping for the first batch (with the exception of the 100 earliest orders) is likely to be around June (should have been March, but the COVID19 wave in China delayed everything considerably and delayed one of their engineers from being admitted to the country to oversee development leading up to production). I've been looking at getting a split ergonomic with a columnar/ortholinear layout for awhile and compared it to the Ergodox EZ, Moonlander, Kinesis Advantage 360, and a couple that are more kit/DIY and the Defy looks like the best choice especially because the company behind it has been very receptive to their community. Anyone who wants to get in on the preorder currently should still be a part of the first batch in June.

Attachments

• DygmaDefyKeysRBGW.jpg
    DygmaDefyKeysRBGW.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 0
  • defyyinyangandonyx.png
    defyyinyangandonyx.png
    290.2 KB · Views: 0
For any interested, the team behind the Dygma Raise ( my current keyboard, a 60% split ergonomic standard layout with actually useful macro key positions!) is working on their 2nd keyboard called Defy, a columnar split ergonomic similar to the ZSA Moonlander or ErgodoxEZ, but with some nice improvements to the layout and other tech; for instance, both sides do NOT need to have a cable connecting them to each other!. It has a lot of features included, but specifically the RGBW underglow (separate from the key backlighting RGBW, and has many zones), tenting ( goes up to 60 degrees, and 8 degree reverse tenting), and wireless (both RF and Bluetooth) are paid upgrades. Like the Raise, the firmware and config software are Linux friendly and libre/open source while the hardware uses open standards and the devs are very forthcoming with details on manufacturing/communication with the users. Note that the a Defy was on Kickstarter during the earliest days but can be ordered directly from their website - https://dygma.com/.

Shipping for the first batch (with the exception of the 100 earliest orders) is likely to be around June (should have been March, but the COVID19 wave in China delayed everything considerably and delayed one of their engineers from being admitted to the country to oversee development leading up to production). I've been looking at getting a split ergonomic with a columnar/ortholinear layout for awhile and compared it to the Ergodox EZ, Moonlander, Kinesis Advantage 360, and a couple that are more kit/DIY and the Defy looks like the best choice especially because the company behind it has been very receptive to their community. Anyone who wants to get in on the preorder currently should still be a part of the first batch in June.
That....is a lot of thumb keys--that part reminds me a little of the Kyria. Only problem is to get the rightmost or leftmost thumb keys you gotta stretch the thumb quite a bit if you don't have long fingers, so you might not want those to be commonly-used keys.

That....is a lot of thumb keys--that part reminds me a little of the Kyria. Only problem is to get the rightmost or leftmost thumb keys you gotta stretch the thumb quite a bit if you don't have long fingers, so you might not want those to be commonly-used keys.
I remember looking at the Kyria and Iris among others on the more compact variant of the split ergodox side. While I won't know for sure until it is actually in my hand, they're probably designed to be ergonomicenough that outside of a few outliers, it should be pretty comfortable. Also its only a little visible predominantly n the pic with the closeup and colored backlighting, the thumbkeys are contoured thanks to how they're mounted, you can see how the bigger vertical key on the edge is tilted inward to the rest of the cluster for instance. I'll ask them in chat about that potential issue but the last time I remembered them saying something they had one of their devs who is a rather petite woman using it comfortably so I'm guessing they put some thought into that issue; after all, the thumb key cluster is the biggest difference they have layout wise vs those that use a more "modded Ergodox" layout.

the thumb key cluster is the biggest difference they have layout wise vs those that use a more "modded Ergodox" layout.
Yeah, there's a whole cottage industry in "Ergodox with hopefully better thumb clusters." I like my Hotdox but I feel like I need thumb extenders.

As for the Kyria I switched to the Lily58 for a while to get a number row and a couple fewer thumb keys. Not sure what to do about my 'dox: I'm playing a bit with the thumb keys and layer switch keys to try to tweak the layout.

I switched from a Model M to a Das Keyboard with Cherry MC blue switches on my main rig this week. :( Seems pretty ok. Better than the membrane keyboards I have at work and on some secondary rigs. Mostly I just wanted to be ready for the new job I started on Monday and not have to figure out how to make a Model M work nicely with a Mac. New job issues Macs. I could have gotten a Windows laptop, but the other developers told me that was a bad idea. It's a large company and they run some sort of security software on Windows machines that forces you to explicitly whitelist any new executable you build. Totally sucks for C/C++ development. Also production is mostly Linux, so Mac is closer. At home my desktops are dual boot Windows/Linux, my server runs Linux, and I've got a moderately priced Windows laptop (~$800 in 2019) I rarely use just to have something portable. Maybe I'll switch back if I can figure out how to make a Model M play nice with a Mac. I haven't had a Mac since like 2003 or something so I don't know what I'm doing with one. Also not enough Model Ms to go around at my place, so I can put the Das Keyboard to good use even if I end up switching back to the Model M.

Just got my new Keychron S1. It's got low profile hot-swappable Red Gateron mechanical switches, PBT doubleshot caps, and white backlighting. The frame is CNC machined aluminum and it's actually heavier than my Apex Pro TKL. I'll use the Keychron for work. I've always typed much faster/more accurately with low profile or scissor switch keyboards. Definitely worth a look if your preferences align with mine.

View attachment 550528
Ooo, I like that. Price isn't bad, either. I've been wanting to try a Keychron board for a while but most of the ones I'd see for sale were the K series and I don't need a wireless board or another battery to worry about.

Steelseries APEX 3 keyboard and a Logitech C703 wireless mouse.

Just got my new Keychron S1. It's got low profile hot-swappable Red Gateron mechanical switches, PBT doubleshot caps, and white backlighting. The frame is CNC machined aluminum and it's actually heavier than my Apex Pro TKL. I'll use the Keychron for work. I've always typed much faster/more accurately with low profile or scissor switch keyboards. Definitely worth a look if your preferences align with mine.

View attachment 550528

I like that cable. It is something that was specific to the keyboard?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Logitech G613 + MX Master 2...

A) Wireless/Bluetooth
B) Clicky
C) Rechargable (MX)
D) Oldest one is 4+ years, still goin strong...
E) They do everything I need them to do, with ZERO issues & reasonable prices too :D

despite having failed misreably in my attempts to find a modded filco cable solution to getting a removable cable on this thing. I am back to using my trusty Filco MT2 TKL and the Steelseries Sensei 10 that I ordered last week. I had been using the sensei 310 for awhile...but I have been missing the orig shape / feel of my old MLG sensei ...so the ten seemed about as close as I was going to get, giving this a try.

Switch back to the Filco from the Archiss JIS TKL trackpoint keyboard... the Filco feels smooth / better ? I may just like MX-Reds over Browns however and the low profile keycaps on the archiss I do not like as much as these Vortex PBT keycaps on my Filco. The JIS layout was starting to get on my nerves as well as I kept having to switch language profiles to get the thing to register the right keys in some cases.... If I had it to do over again, I would have got the US ANSI version I guess?

1677708360433.png

Thanks! Got it from MechCables. https://mechcables.com/products/lightspeed-carbon-coiled-aviator-cable

Also bought a pair of these to make it easier to swap between my 2 keyboards. https://a.co/d/ep5kixq

There’s no performance improvements that I’ve noticed. Ive just always thought those designer cables were cool.

I wouldn't expect any noticeable signal differences or anything, but I do like the "right angle" nature of it. Something like that would help in the layout of my desk.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Steelseries Apex Pro TKL (2023) w/Corsair PBT Doubleshot Onyx Black keycaps
Razer Basilisk V3

PXL_20230316_005319929.jpg

Last edited:
Been using these vertexseries combo (keeb vx 9 pro, mouse gx107) for 4 weeks, and so far so good.

IMG_20230316_171005_HDR.jpg

Bought 2nd for ~$34 shipping, so cheap, yet feels very comfortable when using.

The keyboard layout helps my work as I use excel daily as my main job. The outemu blue switch adds crispiness when typing at the desk's office 😂

The mouse cable is surprisingly very flexible, and the mouse grip match my hand's size.

Both white build matches my white case Asus AP201.

Last edited:
Temporary space and usb c cable. I saw how to make one and decided to make one for fun they are so expensive 😩 but this is my first mechanical keyboard and new gaming mouse in 5 years which I got both for a great deal used.

XVX M84 Coral Sea x Logitech G X Pro Lightspeed

PXL_20230319_175903356 (1).jpg

Back