What Mouse and Keyboard Are You Using Right Now?

I am using the new Logitech G15 V3 and G604 mouse.
IMG_0851.JPEG IMG_0836.JPEG

Coolermaster MM711 mouse.. very light.. almost too light when i first got it, but then i got used to it. Really good for gaming.
Filco Majestic Touch kb (mechanical)

As for me, I'm currently using an eVGA Z10 RGB keyboard and Razer Mamba Elite wired mouse. Thanks and until next time I am out!

OMG a M 101. That was the first keyboard i ever used on a IBM PS2 80286 back in mid 1980s.

View attachment 327192

The company then replaced those with Compac 386 and the NEW membrane boards. I still remember my reaction: "What - the - FUCK - is - this?" I went to the storage area, and collected two of the 101 Ms and stuck them in my desk, one to use with the Compac, and one as a back up. I wish I had collected all of them, probably around 50 with only about a years use and just kept them. But then again, who knew?

Oh man, I wish I had 50 model M's :p

I'm excited, a pure white ducky one 2 SF is on the way to me. Went with the mx blue switches this time.

Current board is a leopold with mx brown.

I'm excited, a pure white ducky one 2 SF is on the way to me. Went with the mx blue switches this time.

Current board is a leopold with mx brown.
That Ducky is a great keyboard! I had the tenkeyless version with MX Silver switches for about 3 years before switching to an Apex Pro TKL.

Just got a ducky one 2 sf pure white and really enjoy it so far. Still using a g502 mouse. I went with blue switches this time since my last board had browns. Gotta love that click.

A few complaints about it so far
- I got the "year of the rat" space bar, and the color is a little more yellowish than the white, so I am not using it
- the extra keycaps it comes with (I got yellow) do not let the LED shine through.... so I'm not using them except for ducky on escape. Might order some different keycaps for some contrast instead of all white.
- the programming is a bit clunky and I end up with some weirdness when switching between custom modes and default modes (Maybe I just need to rtfm, but some software to control it would be way better). For example, I set a cool American flag, then switch modes and still have the flag, except WSAD are lit up different colors, then I change modes a few more times and it is back to normal.
- included usb c cable is absolute trash. Stiff, holds it's kinked shape, too long

Things I really like
- The backlighting looks amazing. All the colors are bright and vibrant, and the keycaps are really crisp looking
- stabilizers seem nice, not much wobble and have a nice solid feel
- the sound
- the sound again
- 65% form factor is awesome. I missed arrow keys on the 60%. having arrow keys and del/pgup/pgdn is nice
- the built in mouse is actually kind of nice for quick movements when you don't want to move your hand back to the mouse.

Things I've ordered as "upgrades"
- some cheap clear silicone o-rings from ebay. I mash keys, it's nice to dampen that sound a little, and I go thick to reduce the key travel when I go too far
- a nice flexible braided cable in blue

jmn6aMt.png

After a few days of using the ducky I decided I needed some sort of wrist support. Ended up making a little wrist rest out of some scrap 1x3 and am really happy with it. Need to get some poly on it. Fun little 15 minute project with some sandpaper.

A11D8CAE-C4F0-4CF7-819C-CEF16A84F1E7.jpeg

I keep seeing all these custom keycaps and even though I've already replaced my keycaps with hyperX pbt pudding caps (with o-rings!) I kinda want to fuck with my board some more.

An old Logitech split keyboard (I think I have 3 others that are as much as 20 years old) sitting in the closet and an MX Master 2S mouse, though I have a 2 MX revlolutions and an MX1000 (which I'd probably still use if a couple of switches didn't quit working. I've got an old northgate keyboard somewhere around here, but I haven't used it for at least 20 years.

Trying something new. This is a lily58 split ortho. The left row on the left hand, and the bottom 8 keys are shift, control, the layer keys, and so on. it's not wireless, it's just not plugged in at the moment.

20210418_180031.jpg

Just bulit a Romeo 40% keyboard that I'll be using after I paint the 3D printed case. Any suggestions on the color? I'm thinking the same color neon yellow as the enter key text.

ZI09CVeh.jpg

View attachment 307259
Made a considerable upgrade and moved on to a Smith + Rune Iron 165 Standard Edition in the Graphite colorway

Bamboo Leaf Spring Tactile Switches
GMK URSA keyset

Using a Microsoft Intellimouse Pro White Shadow as well.
After impulse spending so much on a keyset for this board on the secondhand market, I am so relieved that the pairing is working for me. Might take out an accent key or two and try it that way as well.

I went in on the last Iron group buy and backed out, big regrets. Your set up looks really nice and it's nice seeing other enthusiast builds/customs around here. I also have that same mouse and its *chefs kiss*.

Just bulit a Romeo 40% keyboard that I'll be using after I paint the 3D printed case. Any suggestions on the color? I'm thinking the same color neon yellow as the enter key text.

View attachment 349355
You're just gonna sit there and not mention those SA Laser caps?

You running QMK or something else?

Running VIA. I figured I didn't need to mention the keycaps because they're pretty popular and a lot of people have them. They aren't SA though, they are the GMK second run.

Within the last month or two I bought the G613 Wireless Mechanical Keyboard on sale at BB for $70. Been wanting a wireless mech keyboard for a while, and just couldn't see myself spending $200 for a top rated one. No backlighting or removable wrist rest, but I've actually increased my overall type speed by around 10% from my previous K55 keyboard that I've had for 18 months. Not bad at all.

I'd like to mention the Logitech G213 Prodigy keyboard I just bought.

It's not mechanical, because I wanted the numpad, multimedia buttons and also a wrist rest, but still stay within around ~$70 (250 zł).

And a quick summary:
- build quality is nice. Rubber strip along the front edge prevents unwanted movement, and the angle after 'feet' deployment is okay. Cable is firmly attached to the casing and housed in a sleeve of sorts.
- membrane keys made to feel like softer mechanical switches. I like. Multimedia keys are mushy, but acceptable. The plastic finish of the keys and the printed area are quite nice, font is thick, symbols on number keys are easy to read.

And here's the bad:
- numlock, capslock, scroll lock and 'gaming mode' lights are stupidly bright (large, white) and actively mess with my eyes in low light.
- The black coating on the casing and especially on the keys is BLACK. Really black and a bit matte. The result is - in low light conditions you can't easily make out the outlines of keys due to the RGB lighting.
- RGB lighting can be only turned off or on. You need the Logitech Hub software to control color and brightness, and without it the default is slowly changing bright colors. Distracting in low light, in my case.
- After you uninstall the Logitech Hub software, the RGB LEDs will not work at all until you uninstall the keyboard and switch it to another USB port.
- The interface of the Logitech software is utterly stupid and confusing, and I even managed to break it altogether whereupon it'd display a solid black screen and needed to sigkill it.
- RGB LED dimming causes that quiet, high-pitched whine we know and love.

Apple Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse.
View attachment 354107

Serious question, not trying to troll.

Do you actually LIKE typing on those flat chiclet keys, or is it more of a choice out of aesthetics?

Personally I'd choose almost anything over one of those flat chiclet/island designs, including 90's rubber dome keyboards.

This is the primary reason I am still using a laptop from 2011. I can't buy one with a decent keyboard anymore. They are all these awful flat chiclet/island designs now.

Serious question, not trying to troll.

Do you actually LIKE typing on those flat chiclet keys, or is it more of a choice out of aesthetics?

Personally I'd choose almost anything over one of those flat chiclet/island designs, including 90's rubber dome keyboards.

This is the primary reason I am still using a laptop from 2011. I can't buy one with a decent keyboard anymore. They are all these awful flat chiclet/island designs now.
Some are really nice–had a laptop with some that I really liked. Also had a cheap Logitech kb that hurt my fingertips because the actuation force was too much and when it dropped I would bottom out.

Well, almost 3 years later and I'm still on the same Model M and same trackball. :D I'm not one for change, haha--especially when it's already perfect! :)

And come to think of it, it's been at least 8 years on this set (so 5 years before I started the thread) and prior to that it was at least 7 years on maybe this set or one of my spares of the same thing. :eek: And I guess if I want to go back even further, I started typing on the Model M in 1989 so that's what...30+ years. :eek::eek::eek::nailbiting::nailbiting: Damn I'm old. :(:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm not sure about the trackball, I could never get used to those (do you actually use it for games?) but it is tough to beat a Model M for delicious typing. You'd have to find an old Model F, and that's about it.

I used Model M's for years. My first PC came with one back in 1991. Throughout the 90's I got stuck with various rubber dome boards, and always felt something was missing, but never looked into it. Got back into Model M's in 2005. You could still pick one up in perfect shape on eBay for like $30 back then. It is crazy what they cost now.

Amazing to type on. Aesthetically, less than pleasing.

Then I solved the second part by up a Black Model M13 Trackpoint II. I loved that thing.

5091177536_21ea1f443d_k.jpg

(my picture)

Only downside was the keycaps. The regular beige/grey Model M's used dye sublimated keycaps. They would never wear off. You obviously can't do this with black keys, so they pad printed white letters on them, and then used a thin clear coat to try to protect them.

Unfortunately it took me only about 2 years to wear through the protectant and make it look all ugly. For a while I got replacement keycaps from Unicomp. I replaced them twice, but the third time they informed me that they had stopped making them, and that I just bought the last set. Understanding that I had a somewhat rare keyboard, I cleaned it up, replaced the caps, and put it in storage, not wanting to ruin something rare.

That's when I replaced it with the modern Unicomp designs. They were not bad, but the fit and finish was a downgrade from the old Model M's, and they also were nowhere near as solid.

_DSC5743%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

(Not my picture)

It was nice to have the windows key and USB though (although the USB controller was very slow to initialize making it difficult to hit DEL to get into BIOS, requiring many retries.

After a few years I started looking around for alternatives. I wanted something aesthetically a little newer looking, maybe with mildly backlit keys to help in a dark room (I can mostly type without looking but I never learned to properly touch type. it's funny. As long as I am not thinking about typing without looking I can do it perfectly. As long as I try to consciously be all like "look at me, I'm typing without looking" it fails completely)

After much research and disappointment in the options, I wound up with a black Ducky One (the first one) with white backlit keys and Cherry MX Green (clicky, very heavy, to try to mimic the Model M experience)

1634156589792.png

Ducky makes some great keyboards. Very solid (as far as modern boards go, not original Model M style) and excellent fit and finish.

They biggest weakness is not their own fault. It's simply that try as much as you might, no Cherry MX or Cherry MX clone switch will ever live up to the Model M's buckling springs.

It's nice to ahve some backlight, and a slightly more modern stylish look though. Native USB and NKRO also doesn't hurt, but it is a compromize at best.

I've often wished that someone would come along, license the Buckling Spring technology from Unicomp and apply it in a modern industrial designed keyboard with back-lighting, and a completely reworked control board to allow for NKRO and native USB.

Heck, if I found myself with millions of dollars and no dea what to do with them, I'd take it on as a passion project. Unfortunately, that is not me.

Last edited:
Back