What mini tool do I need to remove mini retaining rings from cooling fan shafts?

duronboy

Gawd
Fixing some fans. I thought I'd just get new fans, but the price of decent fans made me think twice. I have enough fans that could use a bearing refresh that it might be worth the time.

Almost broke one just prying it off with a jeweler's screwdriver. I was able to get it back in place, but I'd rather have the right tool to begin with.

20220712_101508.jpg

Sounds right, but all the ones I have and see for sale are or appear to be too large.

I guess the distance between hooks is 2mm in the picture, and that's on the shaft. Might be even closer while off the shaft.

I'm getting a recommendation for the Hakko CHP PN-20-M. They're mini pointy pliers, but it doesn't look like the outside of the jaws would be parallel enough to be handy. Just because of how tiny these rings are I might have to try them and see.

guess the distance between hooks is 2mm in the picture, and that's on the shaft. Might be even closer while off the shaft.
I'd recommend finding a similarly sized shaft to put the ring on while removed from the fan assembly. Would make grabing and keeping track of it easier.

Fixing some fans. I thought I'd just get new fans, but the price of decent fans made me think twice. I have enough fans that could use a bearing refresh that it might be worth the time.

Almost broke one just prying it off with a jeweler's screwdriver. I was able to get it back in place, but I'd rather have the right tool to begin with.

View attachment 491403
Google search for "mini circlip pliers" should give you some choices. Think mine came in a set of 4 pliers from ebay years ago.

Back