What is your favorite backup software?

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
What is your favorite backup software?

I like Syncback pro. What do you like?

Looks at the calendar... Is it April 1? Arcserve! In all seriousness.... Depending on the particular need.... Rsync, Bacula or Amanda.

I use Cobian but I don't have anything critical so docs wise it all goes into Google Drive.

I've always made the decision not ho have terabytes of data hanging round my neck like many here.

Macrium...
Macrium is +1 for a complete partition backup before screwing around with Windows, and I use it myself. But for "serious" backup, including versioning and the ability to restore to a "snapshot" at any given date, and to back up an entire LAN using one system as the backup server, I use Retrospect Desktop. Not free, but totally worth it, every time I have do something like retrieve a set of photos from 2016, that I deleted by accident. The thing with most backup systems is that they "mirror" the current state of your drives. When I file is gone from your drive C:, it is gone from the backup.

Retrospect also has scripts, filters, scheduling, "groups" so that all the "data" partitons on all the systems in your LAN can be backed up with one script, automatically, etc. Again, it's not free, but it is totally, totally worth it. Free backup is worth what you paid for it.

Reactions: c3k
like this
Macrium is +1 for a complete partition backup before screwing around with Windows, and I use it myself. But for "serious" backup, including versioning and the ability to restore to a "snapshot" at any given date, and to back up an entire LAN using one system as the backup server, I use Retrospect Desktop. Not free, but totally worth it, every time I have do something like retrieve a set of photos from 2016, that I deleted by accident. The thing with most backup systems is that they "mirror" the current state of your drives. When I file is gone from your drive C:, it is gone from the backup.

Retrospect also has scripts, filters, scheduling, "groups" so that all the "data" partitons on all the systems in your LAN can be backed up with one script, automatically, etc. Again, it's not free, but it is totally, totally worth it. Free backup is worth what you paid for it.
I used Retrosepct for years on macs on the network. it was one of the first network-wide backup apps which supported tape libraries. It was great while the original Dantz group was developing it. Unfortunately, it got bounced around from company to company after that and version 8 was an unmitigated disaster. It’s biggest long-term problem, even continuing today is the catalog file becoming corrupted and unable to be repaired. Recreating the catalog from tapes can take an eternity, and incremental backups, no matter how good the process will eventually kill the catalog.

I used Retrosepct for years on macs on the network. it was one of the first network-wide backup apps which supported tape libraries. It was great while the original Dantz group was developing it. Unfortunately, it got bounced around from company to company after that and version 8 was an unmitigated disaster. It’s biggest long-term problem, even continuing today is the catalog file becoming corrupted and unable to be repaired. Recreating the catalog from tapes can take an eternity, and incremental backups, no matter how good the process will eventually kill the catalog.
I doubt most guys in this forum use tape any longer. Recreating a catalog for disk-to-disk backup is very quick.

Nothing makes my heart sink more than when a customer tells me they have a backup and it turns out to be a full system backup made up of 50+ proprietary archive files.

Yayyy we have your data...and all the junk plus a 10 year old build too!

I just prefer to have just the user data and create a new build to put it into. Usually faster in the long run than recreating crap.

At work and home I have used bacula since the late 1990s early 2000s. Between the two I have done 90 to 100 thousand total backup jobs with that said I would not recommend this for an all windows setup. In my case I have linux servers..

Back