What is your "coping" strategy for the time until you can get a latest-model Nvidia/AMD GPU?

Am just glad my body is at child bearing age. All I need is to find a handsome bloke nd forget about all this computer shortage grief.

Bloody hell this is ridiculous.
These PS games are ok but honestly a bit of a let down so far. So far GOW and Ratchet and Clank (ps4 and the new ps5 one) not as good as their originals. The PS5 controller is definitely awesome though.

Not far into last of us so far but seems more like a movie with a few solid snake element ripoffs rather than a game

So now I'm reading articles by industry prognosticators like Forrester that say the chip shortage is likely to extend to 2023. That stinks. Maybe NVidia will have to extend support for their older cards past 2021. I just hope my old, old Nvidia card lasts until then.

I decided against using the OG Titan. I'm coping now with this

IMAG0060.jpg

I bought my 3090 FE at a scalped price in November ish last year. I paid the guy $1800 and I started to get a lot of buyers remorse afterwards and said to myself I should've waited.

I'm not coping at all :D

Well looks like my system just shit the bed. I was browsing Steam and then one screen went red and one went green. I rebooted and now I hear the post beep and fans, but can't get video from my card or Mobo. USB won't light up either.

No back up plan in place so looks like I will be using a laptop until stock is possible to find. Lasted me 8 years but always had issues both with the Abit Mobo and the AMD Sapphire 7970 so knew it was only a matter of time.

Sorry to hear man. Hope you didn't lose any data or valuable gamesaves or configs. At least you have a backup.

Stories like this make my eyes wander to those pre-built Walmart/BestBuy gaming shitboxes.:nailbiting:

My "coping strategy" is realizing that I still have fun playing extremely old games like RollerCoaster Tycoon, which can likely run on a smart refrigerator... twice... so I don't really need the best and latest to just have fun gaming...

You don't need all of the eye candy. The fact that this topic was made by someone that is willing to compromise with getting a 3060 Ti rather than a 3090 is fairly self explanatory proof of that...

That being said I have a 2080 that I bought when my 980Ti burned down, and I'm perfectly fine with its performance anyway, at 3440x1440.

Sorry to hear man. Hope you didn't lose any data or valuable gamesaves or configs. At least you have a backup.

Stories like this make my eyes wander to those pre-built Walmart/BestBuy gaming shitboxes.:nailbiting:

Looks like possibly one or both fans died on the 7970, but also PC won't post now with previous ram settings so just running one monitor with underclocked ram. I don't have the patience to tweak them especially since I am just happy to be up for now.

I definitely will be keeping my eyes out for shitbox deal as a backup until a new build is possible.

I bought my 3090 FE at a scalped price in November ish last year. I paid the guy $1800 and I started to get a lot of buyers remorse afterwards and said to myself I should've waited.

I'm not coping at all :D
That is not a scalped price at all, it's arnd 1650 after taxes so you paid 150 for the effort, a well deserved amount.

That is not a scalped price at all, it's arnd 1650 after taxes so you paid 150 for the effort, a well deserved amount.
Yeah. Not to mention the guy didn't even have it yet when I contacted him lol. It was on hold at a nearby bestbuy so we both met and picked it up. He had it listed for $1800 for like 2 weeks and no one contacted him until I did, he was about to cancel the pickup too.

I guess there was a time where people couldn't scalp a 3090 much and hopefully soon, they won't be able to be scalped.

Yeah. Not to mention the guy didn't even have it yet when I contacted him lol. It was on hold at a nearby bestbuy so we both met and picked it up. He had it listed for $1800 for like 2 weeks and no one contacted him until I did, he was about to cancel the pickup too.

I guess there was a time where people couldn't scalp a 3090 much and hopefully soon, they won't be able to be scalped.

Yeah, for a fe months there, the 3090 was selling or MSRP online at my local micro center. But after the 3080 jumped up to overt $2000 (thanks, ETH), the percentages were high enough for resellers to start jumping in the fray.

This was entirely caused by desperate small-time miners feeding into the latest ETH rush (the big -money miners already got their hookups through bot networks or direct resellers).

Hopefully, these small-time ETH miners will have to sell their GPUs to buy-in enough starting capital once they go proof-of-stake (the big-boys will also have to make a decision about liquidating stock fort ETH!)

Last edited:
I've been messing with retro systems. Have a 2080 in my main system and a 1080 in another system so not really hurting for an upgrade anyway.

Just laughing at all the dopes paying the impatient tax by paying extravagant prices for GPUs.

I know if I could afford to easily buy a GPU or pretty much any other consumer item at current prices the last thing I'd be concerned about is someone laughing at me for paying some inconsequential "tax" to do it.

I know if I could afford to easily buy a GPU or pretty much any other consumer item at current prices the last thing I'd be concerned about is someone laughing at me for paying some inconsequential "tax" to do it.
I hear you.

My strategy has evolved from actively trying for find a card to just doing nothing right now. I can't keep spending all this time on this problem that doesn't have a solution (for me ...)

I hear you.

My strategy has evolved from actively trying for find a card to just doing nothing right now. I can't keep spending all this time on this problem that doesn't have a solution (for me ...)

Ditto.

I have a 2-4 gpu replacement/upgrade need. I'm sure not throwing money at them right now. I'm happy to wait another year or three. I've got enough unplayed games to last me until then...

anytime I think I need a new video card.. I think of other things I need/want at the prices they're going for at the time. An example... want a 3090... but want a H&K Mark 23 more and can sell it for the same or more 20 years later. It will also get me a Benelli M4. A new video card or a 65" OLED? hmm.. It's also easy that I already have a 2080Ti to tide me over. The way vintage hardware is gaining traction.. who knows.. maybe vintage will be an investment eventually. heh I remember a guy posting his receipt for 2 x 8800GTX Ultras he bought from CDW. It was about $1400 in 06' prices and then saw them sold for under a hundred used a few years later on FS/T. If prices get to around MSRP then I'll rethink.

Every time I think about getting a new video card, I remember that my monitor is dual link DVI, and that I will need a new monitor too.

What is my strategy hmm....

Well, I have quite a few children who are still in the single-digits, age-wise so that keeps me busy. Gardening keeps me busy too. Oh, and then there's the chickens and caring for them.

Yeah, joking aside, I've pretty much hung up being a PC gamer / enthusiast. PC gaming just makes too much demands on me these days. Stupid high prices for what amount to mid-range cards at best, Windows 11 with its TPM requirement (I'm still using an old i5). I just don't think it's worth it anymore. Why give up more of myself just to be entertained? Also, maybe it's just me, but I don't care one bit about AAA games anymore. Just don't.

We've been playing the Wii U these days and it's perfectly capable of delivering a fun family gaming experience. Should video card prices start to come down again then I'll get a newer card to replace my stupid-old 750ti, which was my backup card that I've been stuck with for a couple of years now due to the prices of video cards, and then I'll probably enjoy some of my older games on higher settings again. I don't know.

What is my strategy hmm....

Well, I have quite a few children who are still in the single-digits, age-wise so that keeps me busy. Gardening keeps me busy too. Oh, and then there's the chickens and caring for them.

Yeah, joking aside, I've pretty much hung up being a PC gamer / enthusiast. PC gaming just makes too much demands on me these days. Stupid high prices for what amount to mid-range cards at best, Windows 11 with its TPM requirement (I'm still using an old i5). I just don't think it's worth it anymore. Why give up more of myself just to be entertained? Also, maybe it's just me, but I don't care one bit about AAA games anymore. Just don't.

We've been playing the Wii U these days and it's perfectly capable of delivering a fun family gaming experience. Should video card prices start to come down again then I'll get a newer card to replace my stupid-old 750ti, which was my backup card that I've been stuck with for a couple of years now due to the prices of video cards, and then I'll probably enjoy some of my older games on higher settings again. I don't know.

I agree. I play maybe 1-2 AAA titles a year, and it seems like an expensive proposition to keep a kick ass computer ready to go for the few times a month I fire it up with games. If consoles allowed for KB/mouse FPS games, I probably would be using a NUC or a laptop.

I been playing leap frog since x58 and started with Ryzen 1400 /B350 and have evolved to 5600x /B550 and MSRP RX5700 .. so once I got my hands on two RX 5700 back when new $359 , Then I only needed to work on the CPU and Mobo for GEN 4 link as I really don't see improvements if we need 300 watts again for the video cards .

I've been fine because I only make a major upgrade once every 6-7 years, so my 7700k and 1080ti have/will be enough to get me to Zen 4 / RDNA3. Once Zen 4 / RDNA 3 get released a year from now I will easily be able to stroll into any PC store and purchase them right......right?

I'm now on my lowest end `backup' card in my desktop system. Sold my 2080ti almost a year ago now. Still had a 1080ti, 970 and a 1030 at that point. Ended up selling the 1080ti and the 970 in between, but had to keep at least the 1030 so that I could still use my 4K display!

I managed to get a PS5 and an Xbox Series X and have a Dell M6700 that I upgraded with an nvidia P4000 and a 120Hz 1080p display a couple years ago. Never thought that it was going to be the system with the most powerful GPU!

To the op.

I just quit 3d rendering all together. I will wait till next year. I'm playing some games on my ps4

The info is all well known. It's a matter of trying harder than the herd of card buyers, and a bit of luck, rather than sitting around complaining. I got my 3080 evga FTW3 ultra hybrid for sub msrp.
Which is so hard to believe and prove.

I have a 6900XT but there is no water block for it so I may buy another 6900XT and a waterblock.

That would allow me to completely re-do my tubing layout since, with a 3 inch shorter video card, I can vertically mount it AND re-position my pump...

I guess you could say I am coping by committing domestic violence against my wallet.

Am just glad my body is at child bearing age. All I need is to find a handsome bloke nd forget about all this computer shortage grief.

Bloody hell this is ridiculous.

I have 2 boys. One is 4 the other is only 5 months old. It's definitely cut into my gaming time lol. Toss in the usual stuff to keep up with around the house, some shift work and I don't get much time to myself.

Makes it hard to justify new hardware. I'll stick to my old 1080p monitors and older games for now with what little time I get for it.

I have 2 boys. One is 4 the other is only 5 months old. It's definitely cut into my gaming time lol. Toss in the usual stuff to keep up with around the house, some shift work and I don't get much time to myself.

Makes it hard to justify new hardware. I'll stick to my old 1080p monitors and older games for now with what little time I get for it.
Sounds like you are good parent and you have your priorities right. Been there, done that, so I can appreciate your situation. And my kids turned out fine, even if my "hobby life" withered.

Sticking to a 1080p monitor is the key. Its the second I got a 1440p that suddenly I wanted a new graphics card.

Sticking to a 1080p monitor is the key. Its the second I got a 1440p that suddenly I wanted a new graphics card.

I kind of suspected so. One day I want to go with two 1440p 27" 120hz monitors but that's a little expensive still. And why bother when my two 1080p monitors are good to go?

My 5700XT is getting pretty old now.

Not sure to buy a 6900XT or wait till the next gen.

I agree. I play maybe 1-2 AAA titles a year, and it seems like an expensive proposition to keep a kick ass computer ready to go for the few times a month I fire it up with games. If consoles allowed for KB/mouse FPS games, I probably would be using a NUC or a laptop.

Consoles do allow for KBM on FPS games.

Continue playing on my Acer Nitro 5 with built in RTX 2060 6GB at 144Hz until I'm able to procure a laptop with 3080 and HDMI 2.1.

I have an ancient 1080TI FE. Traded my 1070GTX and $125.00. We both covered out own shipping. I think I got the very last reasonably priced 1080TI on earth. Even have a brand new spare cover, screws, and fan.
I feel I can last for a while or as long as the card lasts.

Back