What is your "coping" strategy for the time until you can get a latest-model Nvidia/AMD GPU?

The lack of reasonably-priced GPUs is causing me to hold off on buying an $800 CPU, a $450 motherboard, $300 worth of DDR4-4000, and at least a couple of hundred dollars worth of games that I won't buy until after I do my big upgrade. Of course, AMD, NVIDIA and their board partners are too busy laughing all the way to the bank to notice.
Yep, I've been wanting to upgrade my aging 6700K for about a year now. As long as there are crazy GPU prices, nobody is getting my money. Probably better I saved it anyway.

The lack of reasonably-priced GPUs is causing me to hold off on buying an $800 CPU, a $450 motherboard, $300 worth of DDR4-4000, and at least a couple of hundred dollars worth of games that I won't buy until after I do my big upgrade. Of course, AMD, NVIDIA and their board partners are too busy laughing all the way to the bank to notice.
I did a total upgrade of my rig in May 2020. Motherboard/CPU and RAM. I didn't do the GPU because I had been reading about the upcoming announcements from both Red and Green. I passed up the opportunities to get an AMD 5000 series card at MSRP. That pricing seems like a distant memory now, like from when I was a kid. Now the cost of a decent card will be almost as much as the cost for all the components I bought in 2020. :eek: :sick:

We need to form a union. A gamers union!! Collective bargaining, won't buy anything unless prices brought to bloody msrp!

There are going to be bread lines GPU lines at a couple of Best Buys in my state tomorrow morning. Tickets given out at 7:30AM, all founders edition cards for MSRP. If you get a ticket, you can go in and buy one at 8:00AM. It's too bad I'll be too busy adulting to participate.

There are going to be bread lines GPU lines at a couple of Best Buys in my state tomorrow morning. Tickets given out at 7:30AM, all founders edition cards for MSRP. If you get a ticket, you can go in and buy one at 8:00AM. It's too bad I'll be too busy adulting to participate.
I'll be sleeping. Gone are the days of waiting in lines for consumer products.

I would hold off upgrading until DDR5 systems start coming out. Alderlake with the small/big core is the first CPU to support DDR5 which is supposed to come out later this year.

I've already got the PC Case (Phanteks Evolve X), Asus Thor PSU (800 watt), 3X120mm QL fans, 140mm QL fans ready for the parts. I'll probably wait to see the reviews on Alderlake are and also how AMD responds before making the jump. Worst case, I may just end up buying everything minus the GPU if the supply is still low. I refuse to buy from scalpers...

I'm budgeting $4,000 (CAD) for my next PC:

CPU ($600 CAD)
AIO CPU Cooler ($300 CAD)
MB ($500 CAD)
GPU ($1,500 CAD)
M.2 2TB X 2 or 4TB ($800 CAD)
DDR5 32 GB ($350 CAD???)

I think M.2 will be a standard in some AAA games since PS5 is utilizing the faster hard drive which is able to speak to the GPU much faster.

Damn PC parts have gotten super expensive here in Canada over the years... I haven't built a gaming in PC in 6 years

In 2015, I built PC which has 6700K ($500), GTX 1070s x 2 ($1,400 or $$700/GPU), AIO cooler ($200), MB Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 ($200), 32GB DDR5, 3000 MHz ($300)

In 2012, FX-8350 ($250), GTX 670s X 2 ($800 or $400/GPU), CPU Thermaltake Frio fan heat sink ($80), Gigabye 990X-UD3 ($150), 16GB DDR3, 1600 MHz ($200)

In 2011, Phenom II 965 ($150), GTX 470s in SLI ($400 or $200/GPU bought used*), Asus 970X ($70), 8GB DDR3 ($90)

2010, Phenom 9500, GTX 275, 4 GB DDR2 - I think it was like $7-800 total for the complete system if I remember correctly.

Like for gtx690!
But if you build new pc with old gpu, it will be bottlenecked nd it's potential nt fully realized. By the time you get new fast gpu, the rest of the computer will nt be new anymore nd all that fastness was wasted!
Ain't that the truth.

My coping strategy is I upgrade every second generation now instead of every generation.
You do not need to have the absolutely best and latest anymore to enjoy 4k gaming. Yes, that 3080Ti is about 30-50% faster than my 2080Ti at 4k, but do I really need that extra performance for twice the price? Nope.
I'm gaming at 4k/120hz and my 2080Ti is still going strong, even at very high/max details in the newest games.
I'll just wait until the next gen.

Heck, I might even buy 3080Ti used like I did with 2080Ti. Sold 1080Ti in April 2020 for €500. Bought 2080Ti in late August for €600 (with nearly 2 years warranty left). Once next gen cards are announced, I might buy a used 3080Ti for €500-600.

My coping strategy is I upgrade every second generation now instead of every generation.
You do not need to have the absolutely best and latest anymore to enjoy 4k gaming. Yes, that 3080Ti is about 30-50% faster than my 2080Ti at 4k, but do I really need that extra performance for twice the price? Nope.
I'm gaming at 4k/120hz and my 2080Ti is still going strong, even at very high/max details in the newest games.
I'll just wait until the next gen.

Heck, I might even buy 3080Ti used like I did with 2080Ti. Sold 1080Ti in April 2020 for €500. Bought 2080Ti in late August for €600 (with nearly 2 years warranty left). Once next gen cards are announced, I might buy a used 3080Ti for €500-600.
Skipping generations is my usual cadence, but it's been completely wrecked these past few years.

-buy GTX 980 in late November 2015 for about $315 shipped (read: new, sealed 980 at 970 prices)
-skip the entire Pascal generation, even though the process node shrink enabled it to provide a significant step up over Maxwell
-consider buying Volta Turing, but then NVIDIA jacked the price way up, didn't offer enough FPS improvement, and thus I felt like skipping another generation
-Ampere provides that FPS improvement, adds HDMI 2.1 support, lowers the MSRP to acceptable levels, I would have finally bit the bullet, but they launched in the middle of a pandemic and kickstarted another crypto boom that results in every half-decent GPU as far back as the Pascal generation selling out

So here I am with a GPU from 2015 still being used in my desktop to this day, all because of a crazy chain of circumstances. Perhaps I should've waited just one more year and got a GTX 1080 or something, but I didn't want to chance trying to run the then-new Oculus Rift CV1 on a GTX 760.

I suppose, technically, I did buy a new GPU in November last year as part of a new gaming laptop, but an alleged RTX 2070 that performs worse than a desktop RTX 2060 because of the Max-Q underclocking is not what I'd call a significant upgrade in practice, other than supporting RTX features - especially when desktop GPUs generally haven't had an overheating problem after the Fermi days and this laptop overheats like crazy.

What coping strategy? I'm with UltraTaco and won't pay these ridiculous prices. In the meantime, I just do other things. And wait and wait ...

Whether demand cooling off or not.. manufacturers now know what people will pay.. This pricing is the "new normal" or it will be close to this.

They know what some people will pay, in my part of the world there have bneen a number of cards in stock for weeks now, the prices are so silly they are not selling out anymore and prices are slowly coming down but are still almost x2 Mrsp.

Things hopefully will get better unless there is another mining boom.

I need no coping skills as my current video card (a 1660Ti) plays every game that I play very well, leaving plenty of headroom for future games.

I have noticed recently that the ridiculous asking prices on the FS/FT forum for video cards are dropping, with many cards unsold. Human greed ...

I need no coping skills as my current video card (a 1660Ti) plays every game that I play very well, leaving plenty of headroom for future games.

I have noticed recently that the ridiculous asking prices on the FS/FT forum for video cards are dropping, with many cards unsold. Human greed ...
Yeah I don't understand the craze for these GPUs considering there's really no amazing new games that need it. I just updated my 4690k to a 5800x, 32 gb ram with the same gpu a 970gtx and just updating cpu made a huge difference in battlefield v. It used to lag at 1440p on my old pc but in the 5800x it' plays awesome. I was actually shocked by the difference it made

Not everyone is using 3090s for gaming.
They work very well in non linear (video) editing/rendering.
That's the only justification for the 24GB 3090 IMHO.

Not everyone is using 3090s for gaming.
They work very well in non linear (video) editing/rendering.
That's the only justification for the 24GB 3090 IMHO.
Yet also technically speaking not a Titan. Sly Nvidia this gen, sly Nvidia.

I liked the Titan series. Have a few myself. Until RTX came along at its ridiculous MSRP! Imagine paying $2500 only to have it royally smacked down from the (MSRP) $1499 3090 FE!
MSRPs are scary high let alone actual market prices.
Even worse, the manufactures see what the market will bear and I can only imagine what RTX 4xxx MSRP will be! :-|

They came up with DLSS 2.0 which helped boost my performance, besides, the 2080 still isn't a bad card at all to begin with. Things have gotten blurrier in Warzone with DLSS, but I'm not that bothered really. For some reason though, I sometimes get spikes to the higher range of GPU time in that game. A newer card might help, if only prices weren't inane.

They came up with DLSS 2.0 which helped boost my performance, besides, the 2080 still isn't a bad card at all to begin with. Things have gotten blurrier in Warzone with DLSS, but I'm not that bothered really. For some reason though, I sometimes get spikes to the higher range of GPU time in that game. A newer card might help, if only prices weren't inane.
Aside from less VRAM, a 2080 is by itself about the performance level of a 1080 Ti isn't it? Add DLSS 2.0 to the mix and should be a fantastic card for sure.

Aside from less VRAM, a 2080 is by itself about the performance level of a 1080 Ti isn't it? Add DLSS 2.0 to the mix and should be a fantastic card for sure.

Yep, but I never get to the higher end of that 8gb anyway as I game on 3440x1440 / 100 Hz. Aiming for that 100 FPS makes you lack GPU horsepower before vRAM. It used to trade blow with the 1080 Ti, but in some newer games that do Floating Point + Integer calculation, it's somewhat significantly (think up to %10) better than the 1080 Ti. The 1080 Ti can't process both concurrently.

The 2080 is quite a bit faster in newer games because of Nvidia's significantly better async compute with Turing. But in terms of brute force rasterization the 1080 Ti still has more horsepower, which is why in older DX11 titles it tends to be a bit faster. Also the 2080's stock clockspeeds are pretty close to the clockspeed limit, whereas the 1080 Ti has quite a bit of OC headroom, which increases the difference quite a bit.

I just looked at Ebay for 3060 Ti cards and it's obvious the scalpers rule there. So I've had to think how I'm going to cope before prices come down to something normal, whatever that means. And based on news reports, I don't expect to get that 3060 Ti until sometime in 2022.

What's your strategy?
So, two and a half months ago I was the OP for this thread. Since then I've tried various approaches, none of them work. So I think I'm going to wait until either my number comes up on the EVGA list or the shortages end sometime in 2022. Both of those are really lousy alternatives. But I don't need a new GPU as part of my job, so I can't justify paying scalper prices.

It all sucks.

I'm waiting for the shortages and price-jacking to end.

Supply and Demand is a thing. I'm removing my Demand.

Same, I can hold out with what I have until the 4000 series comes out. And while I don’t think the market will normalize even then, I’ll buy one and it will be my last GPU purchase for quite a while. As long as I don’t upgrade from 1440p, performance wise it should last until the GPU shits the bed. I’ve got other hobbies I can spend my disposable income on.

Reactions: c3k
like this
Same, I can hold out with what I have until the 4000 series comes out. And while I don’t think the market will normalize even then, I’ll buy one and it will be my last GPU purchase for quite a while. As long as I don’t upgrade from 1440p, performance wise it should last until the GPU shits the bed. I’ve got other hobbies I can spend my disposable income on.
Maybe I shouldn't say this but I'm really starting to hate the "professional" miners and their big arrays of mining gear.Why can't they just do ramsomware scams like the other guys?

That isn't a terrible position to be in. The most reasonably priced GPU deals are the ones bundled with CPU's and motherboards.

On the topic of waiting for replacement GPUs.... The fan PWM circuit on my GTX 960 failed a while back, and a replacement fan didn't work. :( So, until I can get an upgrade (at a reasonsable price), I strapped on a Noctua 92mm fan. Actually, it runs quieter than the stock fan by far...

That isn't a terrible position to be in. The most reasonably priced GPU deals are the ones bundled with CPU's and motherboards.
I think it's going to be several years, if not more, before the chip markets return to some semblance of "normal." I'm sure that the US government's efforts to encourage chip plants in the US are fine, but they will inevitably be delayed and have cost overruns. And what happens to foundries in Taiwan a few years out, that's a real wild card.

I think it's going to be several years, if not more, before the chip markets return to some semblance of "normal." I'm sure that the US government's efforts to encourage chip plants in the US are fine, but they will inevitably be delayed and have cost overruns. And what happens to foundries in Taiwan a few years out, that's a real wild card.
Yeah and even without delays, it takes years for such a venture to really get up and going. Unless something magically happens with demand going down, then we are in for chip shortages for a long while (and I am talking about all chips, not just PC parts). Intel has its issues, GloFo dropped out of bothering to compete and develop more mature nodes, and TSMC and Samsung can only do so much output for the world's chips.

Last edited:
Yeah and even without delays, it takes years for such a venture to really get up and going. Unless something magically happens with demand going down, then we are in for chip shortages for a long while (and I am talking about all chips, not just PC parts). Intel has its issues, GloFo dropped out of bothering to compete and develop more mature nodes, and TSMC and Samsung can only do so much output for the world's chips.

Crypto being worth roughly half what it was a few months ago, coupled by transitioning to Eth 2.0 should alleviate a decent amount of demand. My prediction is you’ll find stock a lot easier next Gen after about 2 months when the largest rush will have subsided, but probably at roughly the same price points we are seeing now. It’ll have less to do with scalping and more to do with a bump in MSRP.

Crypto being worth roughly half what it was a few months ago, coupled by transitioning to Eth 2.0 should alleviate a decent amount of demand. My prediction is you’ll find stock a lot easier next Gen after about 2 months when the largest rush will have subsided, but probably at roughly the same price points we are seeing now. It’ll have less to do with scalping and more to do with a bump in MSRP.
I wish I could "dislike" a post. What I dislike is the prediction that prices will stay the same.

My post was more about all chips than PC parts. We got a huge problem with global chip supply from PC parts, to vehicle manufacturing, appliances, and other things.

Yeah, I know that scalpers rule on EBay. But where don't they rule? EBay is just an easy way to check prices.
Here some. Depends on your price range. Or keep hitting the Newegg shuffle.
I just let an EVGA queue pass. Didn’t need another card.

Are pre built gaming system prices scaling alongside GPU prices? I would assume they are but just wondering in case that is a more realistic way of getting a system with a current gen card in it.

Are pre built gaming system prices scaling alongside GPU prices? I would assume they are but just wondering in case that is a more realistic way of getting a system with a current gen card in it.

Pricing from the major manufacturers are generally still at normal level barring some 3rd party vendor inflating the price on some sites when supply is low. You still pay for the Brand Name markup but that has always been the case. Before check before add RAM, SSD/HDD as they sometimes overcharge for those items.

Last edited:
Okay, it suits you in the Americas that card prices are high, you make good money, I wouldn’t complain considering you can buy at recommended prices.
Nvidia now produces graphics with a limitator for mining but prices are still high, not letting down anything in Europe. Amd keeps his cards high from the start and also doesn't let them down and they don't have any limiter. Both nvidia and amd are actually happy if the cards are good for mining because it brings them big profits.
I pre-subscribed for some cards on the evga page and then I wanted to buy some keyboard which was quite discounted and in the end nothing, I could not buy because it is not on the list the country I am from, there is no delivery to Europe.
For the graphics I put notify but already very late, even if I get a notification there is obviously a possibility that they are not sending anything for Europe anymore. The evga site still sells cards at recommended prices and is much cheaper than in Europe.

Last edited:
I used my Asrock OC Formula 6900XT for a few days but didn't like how it looked in my system so I bought a Powercolor Liquid Devil Ultimate (which looks far better in my build) so I'm not really coping, but I do have a spare 6900XT now.

I think if AMD releases the new ThreadrRipper later this year or early next year I'll build a new system and I'll already have a vidcard for it. I pretty much have everything I need except for CPU/Mobo and block.

Back