What is the L|H switch for on the side of the Wraith cooler that came with my 3900x?

x509

2[H]4U
I just unboxed the 3900X and installed it into my motherboard. Easy-peasy, very positive indication, better than Intel processors. :) .

So there is a 4-pin header and a 3-pin header on the side of the fan, on the same side as this switch. I'm pretty sure that the 4-pin header is for the PWM fan control. (Yes?) But what is the L|H switch for? Low? High? But I'm going to use PWM to control fan speed.

EDIT: I just noticed the cable that is pre-wired into the fan. That is obviously for the PWM. My bad for not seeing that sooner.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that is to set the maximun speed for the fan, at a lower or higher cap.

Switch sets the maximum RPM for the cooler. I for one am using the "HIGH" preset and the PC is pretty silent so long as the fans don't change RPMs.

Doesn't matter if you are using the PWM... PWM in motherboard controls are usually in %s anyway.

Last edited:
I just unboxed the 3900X and installed it into my motherboard. Easy-peasy, very positive indication, better than Intel processors. :) .

Until you need to remove the heatsink that's stuck to it and you're butt hole is clenched so tight as to not rip it out of the socket and bend the pins. That's when you'll truly appreciate Intels latching mechanism.

Until you need to remove the heatsink that's stuck to it and you're butt hole is clenched so tight as to not rip it out of the socket and bend the pins. That's when you'll truly appreciate Intels latching mechanism.
I've pulled my fair share of AMD CPUs out with the HSF lol, never damaged a pin when this happened...
Also you can say the "same" for intel boards.... "hope you never ever drop the CPU or screwdriver/screw or ANYTHING on the mobo pins accidentally..."
Pins on CPU are easier to fix BTW.
Oh and if you twist before pulling the HSF that fixes the pulling out of the socket thing, works every time.

I would be deathly afraid to install a Threadripper CPU...

I've pulled my fair share of AMD CPUs out with the HSF lol, never damaged a pin when this happened...
Also you can say the "same" for intel boards.... "hope you never ever drop the CPU or screwdriver/screw or ANYTHING on the mobo pins accidentally..."
Pins on CPU are easier to fix BTW.
Oh and if you twist before pulling the HSF that fixes the pulling out of the socket thing, works every time.

I would be deathly afraid to install a Threadripper CPU...

True, i've dropped my HSF on to an intel socket and destroyed it, those pins are virtually impossible to straighten. That was my bad and I've since learned never to remove the protective cap until I'm ready to put the CPU in there.

While damaging Intel socket pins is harder to fix then damaging AMD CPU pins, I find it easier to avoid. I've had mixed results with the twist method. Sometimes it breaks loose, other times it merely rotates while still being glued to the CPU.

Back