What is the best GPU for 1080p gaming

What is the best GPU for 1080p gaming currently in the market? And is $300 enough?

Looking to game at 166 or 240 once i change my monitor.

Resolution is just one variable... it's not the sole determining factor regarding what GPU you should purchase. Some games are still more GPU intensive than others, some quite a bit more. Other settings like Anti-Aliasing can have a huge impact on performance also.

So, the "best" GPU for 1080p gaming is the same as the "best" GPU for 4K gaming. If you are are forced to compromise, then only gaming at 1080P will let you compromise a bit more. Mainly, you have more flexibility in terms of VRam, since a higher resolution will use more VRam, and performance will tank once you run out of VRam.

What is the best GPU for 1080p gaming currently in the market? And is $300 enough?

Looking to game at 166 or 240 once i change my monitor.

For 1080p at $300 I would find a 6600XT/6650XT, they can be had from $279-$309. If you're willing to go a little higher you can sometimes find a 3060 around $350. As for a 3070 you're going to find a used mining card and unless you're trying to run heavy raytracing you're going to be getting 200+fps on many games.

I used GTX1080Ti and it did great for the games I played. Only reason I’m running a RX6900XT 16 gig is because of upgrading to 32” high performance monitor
My GTX1080Ti is on a rig with a Asus 24” monitor and it works well on high settings.

So, the "best" GPU for 1080p gaming is the same as the "best" GPU for 4K gaming.

No it's not, benchmarks have show that there is more overhead on the best 4k cards and they lose performance on 1080p compared against less powerfull cards

No it's not, benchmarks have show that there is more overhead on the best 4k cards and they lose performance on 1080p compared against less powerfull cards

Yeah go ahead and find us a benchmark where anything outperforms a 4090 in gaming.

Great, you just showed the 4090 topping the charts in every game. Thanks for proving my point. Its like the ecoboost mustang owners that say they're faster at half throttle lol
you need glasses
1669816395876.png

1669816415763.png

1669816436676.png

you need glasses

Just scroll a little more to where they turned RT on, you know the signature feature of the 40-series. By that point your cherry picking is meaningless.

I mean, I get what you're trying to say, it doesn't make any sense to buy a $1600 GPU for 1080p and I'm totally with you on that. Its silly. It doesn't make it slower though. Which is why I recommended the 6600XT which is a great value card for 1080p although they're a little scarce now with the 6650XT out.

Like I said, it's based on the game. Some games can still be demanding even at 1080P. Some games aren't demanding at all even at 4K. So you are better-off looking at benchmarks for the game(s) you care about rather than making purchases based on vague generalizations.

The only thing you can really say about 1080P vs 4K gaming is that you need more VRam in general for higher resolutions.

Even if the card you get appears to be overkill for 1080P, that will only be the case until you upgrade your CPU again and/or new games come out. Plan for the future, not the present.

I agree with recommendations on the RTX 3060. The RTX 2060 may also be the even better "bang for your buck" choice if you're willing to sacrifice a bit on speed and RTX performance.

I did a lot of research into 1080p gaming a few months back when I decided to go with the 1650 Super. I made my decision mainly for power consumption reasons. While the 1650 Super can still do most games today at 1080p at Ultra settings the framerate is starting to fall to levels that would not be considered playable, and so there is very little future-proofing with a card like mine. As a result, you should go with something faster than the 1650 Super, at a minimum. In my opinion, you would definitely get a fairly decent lifespan out of a 2060 or 3060 before 1080p gaming starts to chug.

If you don't mind ray tracing, but also plan to upgrade your monitor, better get rx 6700xt.
It has 12gb vram and the performance get close to rtx 3070 (raster).

Back