What is the absolute best monitor for gaming right now? I've been away for a long time...

I did, click on the arrow on the right. This was just a demonstration of how to fit a narrative. Taking pictures with a smartphone does not prove anything or showing anything close to reality.

You probably got this nonsense from "KwizatZ" on AVSFORUMS. You Samsung fanboys are really something special.
Just like the OLED fanboy.

Well OP, the forum has spoken. You've been sentenced with buying a new desk, remodelling your basement, and using 3 of these rollable OLEDs in surround mode.
Screenshot_20210918-141825_Vivaldi.jpg

You said money is no object right?

Well another QN90A vs C1 review and surprisingly the QN90A got higher score in gaming than the C!, guess it's time for the OLED fanboys to freak out as their last advantage is gone.

How old are you btw?

My first PC monitor was a 9" monochrome and I use $3000 projector TV in the late 70's, $8000 rear projections in the 90's, and $10K Kuro in the late 2000s and everything in between. I also consult for a major PC manufacturer that have their own monitor line. And you?

Last edited:
From a Kuro to a Q90T, but you hate OLED. Fascinating.

Well, they don't make Kuro anymore, nevermind a 4K. It's not that I didn't want to give OLED a chance that's why I went from a KS9500 to a CX and while it was decent at night. It couldn't even compare to the KS in the day time and the reflections was killing me. Should have waited for CES then wait for the QN90A but I just could not stand using the CX for another 6 months.

I, too, am going to recommend the LG C1 48" or 55". They're really hard to beat on the performance front.

Last edited:
Well, they don't make Kuro anymore, nevermind a 4K. It's not that I didn't want to give OLED a chance that's why I went from a KS9500 to a CX and while it was decent at night. It couldn't even compare to the KS in the day time and the reflections was killing me. Should have waited for CES then wait for the QN90A but I just could not stand using the CX for another 6 months.
Having had a Kuro myself (well it was my dads since I was still a kid then), I have a very hard time believing someone could be satisfied with a plasma and then end up hating OLED and preferring an lcd.

I had the 48 C1 and returned it in a couple days. I hated it. The ABL or ASBL whatever all that automatic dimming was miserable. It was the most annoying thing I had ever experienced, unacceptable. Then the low brightness was the biggest deal breaker. The whites look like a pale dim grey or something I hated the look of the whites they don't look actually white. Then the risk of burn in for a windows PC monitor was not the anxiety I need either. I game with HUDs on for hours & I want max brightness I don't want to take any precautionary measure. I don't want to babysit my monitor. I want task bars and menus and HUDs up all the time especially on a large screen where I can afford the extra space for all the static elements up all the time. No way do i wanna hide them & use screen savers & delete HUDs and dim the screen so I don't get burn in. Forget all of that. I bought a QN90A & love it. Gaming like a boss not worried about a thing. Input lag & response times are competitive enough to trade blows with any oled that any argument is negligible. I also hate my oled phone just as much as I hated my oled LG C1. I've only had it for a year & a half it is has disgusting burn in top it off I cant see a damn thing in daylight I need to find shade to use my phone. Oleds technology is miserable in any light. It's not for me that along with burn in now I'm out & out for good. I'll be happy with my QN90A for years to come & also going to get a Xaiomi Mi pro or something of that caliber & ditch my sad oled phone also & be rid of all oleds in my life foreverr. I have truley grown to hate oled technology over the years & will never own anything oled every again. Made that mistake twice won't make it anymore. Shame on me lol.

Last edited:
Having had a Kuro myself (well it was my dads since I was still a kid then), I have a very hard time believing someone could be satisfied with a plasma and then end up hating OLED and preferring an lcd.

Kuro was great for the time but the world have moved on and now you not only need deep black, you also need high brightness. The highly reflective coating makes OLED unusable in a a well lighted room and the sharp drop in brightness as it goes beyond 25% screen area really sucks. Have you ever try to but on a full white screen on yours? I didn't realize it's so bad till I tried. Did you even watch the video I linked. It's not like the Black is terrible on the newer QLED in a room with some ambient light. Sure, there might be a difference if you pause and compare but you won't really notice a lot on moving images. With contents now being master in 2000 nits and above, I'll gladly trade the much better bright highlights for the small difference in black quality.

Last edited:
I had the 48 C1 and returned it in a couple days. I hated it. The ABL or ASBL whatever all that automatic dimming was miserable. It was the most annoying thing I had ever experienced, unacceptable. Then the low brightness was the biggest deal breaker. The whites look like a pale dim grey or something I hated the look of the whites they don't look actually white. Then the risk of burn in for a windows PC monitor was not the anxiety I need either. I game with HUDs on for hours & I want max brightness I don't want to take any precautionary measure. I don't want to babysit my monitor. I want task bars and menus and HUDs up all the time especially on a large screen where I can afford the extra space for all the static elements up all the time. No way do i wanna hide them & use screen savers & delete HUDs and dim the screen so I don't get burn in. Forget all of that. I bought a QN90A & love it. Gaming like a boss not worried about a thing. Input lag & response times are competitive enough to trade blows with any oled that any argunent is negligible. I also hate my oled phone just as much as I hated my oled LG C1. I've only had it for a year & a half it is has disgusting burn in top it off I cant see a damn thing in daylight I need to find shade to use my phone. Oleds technology is miserable in any light. It's not for me that along with burn in now I'm out & out for good. I'll be happy with my QN90A for years to come & also going to get a Xaiomi Mi pro or something of that caliber & ditch my sad oled phone also & be rid of all oleds in my life foreverr. I have truley grown to hate oled technology over the years & will never own anything oled every again. Made that mistake twice won't make it anymore. Shame on me lol.

That's fine. The QN90A is obviously made for you. Enjoy it!

Still using CRT since forever (F520, FW900) for computing. Perhaps ironic to say in 2021, but they just work. No hassle. (Until someday they don't.)

OP, wouldn't pay much for a used CRT, kind of like buying a used lightbulb, but if one is cheap and available might be fun for you to check out.

For modern displays, Samsung and LG's latest and greatest per the above. (The former's 43" arriving hobbled a bummer.)

EDIT: Also some other brands mentioned. Not familiar though.

Still using CRT since forever (F520, FW900) for computing. Perhaps ironic to say in 2021, but they just work. No hassle. (Until someday they don't.)
The FI32U is the closest thing I've seen to a CRT. They have a BFI mode that works with VRR and it looks really good.

LG OLED C1 48" is by far the best all around high end gaming monitor there is. Anyone that tells you otherwise is a noob.

Gsync is a must have, high refresh rate is a must have, and OLED picture quality absolutely destroys LCD. The LG G1 has it all. Your only other option is the Gigabyte equivalent which has issues.

If you don't have enough room for it MAKE ROOM. It's worth it.
42 inch comes out in early 2022 if you're not in a rush

1st one is useless, a 20% improvement will still be under 1000 cd/m2 and bring the 100% bright level to what 165 cd/m2? pitiful.

2nd one maybe something but guess we'll see if it works out. It's ironic and it took Samsung and TCL to come up with a solution where LG can't. But then, I think we'll see Micro-LED at consumer level before QD-OLED or QDLE.
I don't understand the brightness chase that HDR is forcing on people. These massive displays are so bright you can't possibly run them at max brightness without causing massive eye fatigue. There's a reason the monitor market targets 150 cdl, browsing the web at 400 is agonizing. My 280hz IPS is at 50% brightness and it's still a light cannon into my face. I ran my 55 inch oled C7 as a computer monitor for 2 years, it was great but too big and the 60hz refresh is a deal breaker. If LG ever makes a 240hz oled I will buy it immediately. The 42 inch is nice, I'd prefer 36 but 42 is better than 48

Last edited:
I don't understand the brightness chase that HDR is forcing on people. These massive displays are so bright you can't possibly run them at max brightness without causing massive eye fatigue. There's a reason the monitor market targets 150 cdl, browsing the web at 400 is agonizing. My 280hz is at 50% brightness and it's still a light cannon into my face. I ran my 55 inch oled C7 as a computer monitor for 2 years, it was great but too big and the 60hz refresh is a deal breaker. If LG ever makes a 240hz oled I will buy it immediately. The 42 inch is nice, I'd prefer 36 but 42 is better than 48
Moviemaker are now encoding media at over 2000 cd/m2. Does that mean you're going to go blind watching? No! it's doesn't mean the whole movie is brighter. My HDR1000 monitor only shows 129 cd/m2 on this page and 340 cd/m2 while watching a (non HDR) brighter Youtube video. What HDR allows content creator a higher brightness range to work with without sacrificing darker details mostly on highlight, reflections, effects that will momentary dazzle you or allow you to show a bright area in a larger portion of the screen without losing details in the darker area as shown in the this video:

While OLED can hit decent brightness in small area. It's brightness curve is un-naturally steep once you hit a scene with bright area that covers 50% of the screen. Even LG's own LCD lineup has 2X the brightness range to work with at 50% vs the C1. The end result is that on a TV capable of hitting 1500 cd/m2. The bright area in the video will continue to get brighter as more detail becomes visible in the dark area. An OLED will probably handle the first couple shots but the later shots with the larger bright area will have the OLED stop getting brighter in the bright area and may even becomes darker while bringing up the brightness in the dark area. Pause the video at the 1:20 mark. The darkest spot on the scene. Brightness pretty much is between 270 cd/m2 to 400 cd/m2 across everywhere on the screen on my HDR1000 monitor. The best you can hope for on a C1 is probably around 200 cd/m2.

Do you have Mass Effect Legendary Edition? Did you do the in game HDR calibration? My result is pretty much spot on at 1050 cd/m2 for my FV43U and 1450 on my Q90T and the highlight in the game is spectacular but not blinding at all. What did you get on the C7?

Don't know if you ever got into photography. one of the first thing they teach you is not to shoot a subject against a bright background as you'll either get the background at normal brightness and your subject will be dark and without details. or if you use spot metering to get the subject in proper exposure, your background will be over bright and appears washed out. Being able to show a wide brightness range means you can now capture both the bright background and still have enough exposure and detail on your subject.

Last edited:
Moviemaker are now encoding media at over 2000 cd/m2. Does that mean you're going to go blind watching? No! it's doesn't mean the whole movie is brighter. My HDR1000 monitor only shows 129 cd/m2 on this page and 340 cd/m2 while watching a (non HDR) brighter Youtube video. What HDR allows content creator a higher brightness range to work with. mostly on highlight, reflections, effects that will momentary dazzle you or allow you to show a bright area in a larger portion of the screen without losing details in the darker area. OLED can hit OK brightness in small area but cannot sustain a large bright are while maintain details in darker area as show in this video:

Valid points, I guess I'm just the polar opposite of the target audience for HDR gaming. The only games I play are Battleroyales, Rocketleague and strategy. 95% of the time I'm playing Apex legends or Warzone at low settings because frames are more important to me than anything else. A 240hz oled would be a dream for motion clarity, if it could do BFI and Gsync at the same time that would be amazing.

Does your Q90T have the same issues with blooming as the QN90A? I miss the contrast and colors of my OLED every day but I really do need a 240hz+ display.

Rtings: "Sadly, its local dimming feature performs worse in Game Mode than outside of it because it causes more blooming around bright objects and raises the black level. This can be noticeable when playing games with dark scenes, but it's still not too distracting. The VA panel has a lower native contrast ratio than most VA panel TVs because of Samsung's 'Ultra Viewing Angle' that improves the viewing angles, but the contrast is improved with the local dimming. All in all, it's one of the best gaming TVs we've tested."

Last edited:
Valid points, I guess I'm just the polar opposite of the target audience for HDR gaming. The only games I play are Battleroyales, Rocketleague and strategy. 95% of the time I'm playing Apex legends or Warzone at low settings because frames are more important to me than anything else. A 240hz oled would be a dream for motion clarity, if it could do BFI and Gsync at the same time that would be amazing.

Simultaneous BFI gsync OLED is what I have been hoping for. I won't be upgrading from a CX until then. Higher refresh rate is always nice too, but that alone isn't worth upgrading for since I'm already at 120. Well, maybe if it 360+ and still 4k.

Reactions: Wiz33
like this

Does your Q90T have the same issues with blooming as the QN90A? I miss the contrast and colors of my OLED every day but I really do need a 240hz+ display.

Rtings: "Sadly, its local dimming feature performs worse in Game Mode than outside of it because it causes more blooming around bright objects and raises the black level. This can be noticeable when playing games with dark scenes, but it's still not too distracting. The VA panel has a lower native contrast ratio than most VA panel TVs because of Samsung's 'Ultra Viewing Angle' that improves the viewing angles, but the contrast is improved with the local dimming. All in all, it's one of the best gaming TVs we've tested."

I never notice the local dimming problem when playing ME:LE and FFXIV and both looks great in 4K@120 but I'm running from my PC but PC mode is not the same as Game Mode.

The Aorus FI32U can do this and it's great. Not quite CRT quality, but the closest I've seen on modern displays.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824716004

They also have this on the M32U, which uses the same panel but with a no-frills stand for $200 less.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012042
It's only 144hz... and it's 4k which I probably wouldn't use.

I just want 1080p 25 to 27inch oleds with 360hz and gsync plus bfi. JOLED is working on mass production of printed 27 and 32 inch oleds now. The beautiful thing about OLEd is that it doesn't need to use dimming zones or any other tech which frequently increases input lag to get amazing gaming picture quality.

I'll probably try the 42 inch C2 with a non-stretched 1440p or 1080p image, that will dramatically reduce the size which is nice and should keep my frame rate at the max refresh rate. The 120 hz is going to drive me crazy though. Warzone occasionally drops my refresh rate from 280 hz down to 144 and it's immediately obvious, everything looks laggy. I have to powercycle the monitor to get it to correctly see the 280hz again. Anyone that says you can't see the difference between 144hz and 240hz isn't a competitive gamer, the difference is quite dramatic.

Last edited:
I never notice the local dimming problem when playing ME:LE and FFXIV and both looks great in 4K@120 but I'm running from my PC but PC mode is not the same as Game Mode.
I thought your tv can do Game mode and PC input at the same time. As far as I can see in the reviews Game mode is required for decent input lag.

I thought your tv can do Game mode and PC input at the same time. As far as I can see in the reviews Game mode is required for decent input lag.

Probably but I just never bother to set game mode for the PC input as neither game is that demanding and I usually run with local dimming on low anyways as I run ambient backlight even in the evening to reduce eye strain. PC mode is 10.6ms vs 4K VRR 6.1ms. close enough for the games I play. With the supply shortage, by the time I get my hand on a PS5, I maybe ready for a new TV (probably late next year unless the 2022 Samsung line totally sucks).

IMG_9061.jpg

IMG_9062.jpg

Last edited:
It's only 144hz... and it's 4k which I probably wouldn't use.
Anyone that says you can't see the difference between 144hz and 240hz isn't a competitive gamer, the difference is quite dramatic.
Fair enough. I use 3440x1440 on my main machine cause I like it better for work, but my second gaming rig is 4K and I like the picture quality. 144Hz is smooth enough for me.

In any case, I only play single player games. If I was still playing online, I'd probably opt for a faster screen. I did have a 240Hz monitor for a bit, mostly cause I wanted to see for myself, and there definitely is a difference. But for single player games it didn't matter to me.

Truth be told. I have not done a lot of gaming on the Q90T as I'm still in search of the perfect lap desk that works on my couch. Tried a few but none of them was that good. Anyone with some recommendations?

Wow, this thread lost the plot. He doesn't want something larger than 32", that puts OLED's off the table and so are all other TV recommendations.

The Asus ROG PG32UQX is pretty awesome, but expensive. The Samsung G7 series are more obtainable and pretty awesome. The LG 34GP83A-B and G 34GP950-B are nice IPS's worth considering if you want Ultrawide but stay close to your 32" limit.

But the reality is still every display is a compromise in some fashion still. Personally I think Ultrawide is awesome, as it really offers something different. Imho, you might want to wait a bit as your going to see a flood of new LCD monitors with some pretty great, for LCD, HDR tech with mini-led local dimming like seen in the PG32UQX and Odyssey G9 Neo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wiz33
like this
Back