What is a recommended Laptop? For my wife for Home use Win 10, Office suite, easy to use image work

raglafart

Limp Gawd
What recommendations for a lap top for my wife, I'm a dedicated desktop user, I can't see the point in something so small and needing batteries doesn't make sense to me!
However she would really like a lap top.
Her current pc is my old desktop. An Asus P9 X79 PRO mb with 32 gig of ram, 500 gig SSD and a 6 core i7- 4930K cpu
I don't think, no, I know she really doesn't get anywhere near to utilizing the power or capacity of this it.
But what would I have to look at in a laptop to allow web browsing, emails and Facebook and some relatively simple image manipulation, say a basic photoshop package.
I'm thinking a 15.6" screen, after that I'm out of touch with the latest CPU specs
Any suggestions appreciated.
Cheers John

What's your budget?

If there isn't any gaming involved I'd go for a business model. They tend to be less trouble than consumer models. More stable and less likely to break. Dell Latitude, HP Probook or Elitebook, Lenovo Thinkpad, etc. I have a Lenovo Thinkbook 14s I bought a little over a year ago that I like pretty well. It's their relatively new (last few years) small business line. They don't have the features of the Thinkpads, but it seems pretty solid and I've had 0 issues with it. I'm mostly a desktop user, but I keep some sort of laptop around so I have something portable.

The big things for a laptop are no spinners (e.g. make sure it has an SSD) and the usual get enough ram. I'd probably go for 16GB. I have an old 8GB laptop I haven't used in a few months and it gets laggy if I open too many chrome windows on it. CPU wise I don't think there's much to worry about with that load. I'd probably go with one of the low power quad core procs.

What are you going to do with the X79 after your wife moves to a laptop? I have a very similar board (Asus P9X79 Deluxe) and I'm planning on upgrading it to a Xeon E5 v2 of some sort from an i7-3820 once I decide if I want an 8 or 12 core. 8 core clocks higher, and both are about $200 from server recyclers on eBay.

I'm really having a hard time looking at what to spend on it, this is somewhat complicated as we're in Australia and so the budget is going to be in Australian dollars. I was thinking I wouldn't want to spend more than $1500 Australian so around the US $1200
I was only going to go with 8 gig of ram, a 250 gig SSD but I have no idea what spec to go with for the CPU. I've never kept up with current cpu specs!?
If she does any image manipulation it will only be with a fairly basic software program, cropping, re sizing and maybe some basic colour and exposure control. Nothing in RAW files, all basic stuff.
Then she'll only need MS Office and that's it.

As for the X79, I'm trying to convince her that it's a far superior system to any Laptop she we can buy without going crazy.
There was a time when I was messing about with overclocking that I thought about looking for a Zeon for my PC, I'm also running a i7- 4930K cpu now. With the useless internet service we get in Australia in our area, 38.6 mbps download and 11.5 mbps upload speed there doesn't seem to be any use in overclooking with that kind of bottleneck

dell au has some good deals on right now too like:
Inspiron 15 7501 Laptop - In Stock For Fast Delivery (dell.com) that would probably be comparably to the desktop in perf. or
Inspiron 15 5502 Laptop - In Stock For Fast Delivery (dell.com)
those new inspirons are closer too business class than they used to be. the alum. top and palmrest lighten and stiffen them up nice. we have a bunch of the vostro version at work, they are on sale too, and they are pretty much identical to the inspirons except for color and having 10Pro.

Thanks Pendragon
I've checked out the Inspiron range and it seems to be pretty much what we're looking for. They can even supply it with Adobe elements which would probably suite my wife.

Back