What if the crypto craze never ends?

It depends on the settings. Although, I would guess that mining uses more resources due to its 24/7 nature rather than gaming, however, gaming uses more resources at the time when one is actively engaged.
If I watch TV or stream a movie on my PC, I'm using electricity also.

You make the assumption that tweaking a GPU for Max hashrate isn't enjoyable. Or talking to others about mining isn't the same interaction as with gaming buddies.
Or taking the mining profits to pay for a trip to Hawaii with friends/family is enjoyable. ;)

Last edited:
If I watch TV or stream a movie on my PC, I'm using electricity also.

1-RVS-Hotels-19-Camera-Point-002-LAYERS-beard-crop.png
In context, we were talking about the difference between gaming and mining.

How many people use BTC to pay for their groceries, or a car, or even a house?

On the other hand, ransomware attackers all want to be paid in BTC. Drug deals, contract murders, arm deals, use BTC, on dark web websites.

Granted that's true of ransomware attackers, but there's a big jump from mining on my computer for some extra profit to contract murders and arms deals. And I would venture that far more drug deals go down with USD than BTC.

So this is yet another case of, "I can't get my video card, so I'm going to claim that bitcoin is the enemy of humankind."

On the other hand, ransomware attackers all want to be paid in BTC. Drug deals, contract murders, arm deals, use BTC, on dark web websites.
People use Monero for that. Bitcoin isn't even accepted anymore on major darkweb sites because it's easily traceable. People do all those things with cash too btw. The only reason the governments of the world (ie. China right now) want to ban crypto is because it infringes on their control. They want to be able to do all of these things and more while denying you any semblance of privacy so they can further control you.

You make the assumption that tweaking a GPU for Max hashrate isn't enjoyable. Or talking to others about mining isn't the same interaction as with gaming buddies.
I didn't say anything about that, I was only refuting the statement that using a GPU for gaming does not produce anything.

Yes I do wonder that too about what people buy with BTC, I bought two ASICs with BTC, Bought other Crypto with BTC and with that other Crypto bought Gold and Silver as well. I was tempted to buy stuff at Newegg with Crypto but the credit card seemed easier in the end. Dealing with Cars, people do use BTC:
https://decrypt.co/34191/everything-you-can-buy-with-bitcoin-right-now
Other stuff too but I would say it is not too common. As a note many of these businesses collecting BTC are also just holding them for a long term expected gain (some would say gamble as well which maybe true).

Drug deals $, contract murders $, arms deals $, dark web ?. So what should be done with $, since it is the overwhelming means for most criminals to cash in? Now you do know that you just substantiated that BTC has real value that even criminals will extort and use it. If it had no real value then criminals would avoid it like the plague.

With the right card you can get away with both mining and gaming at the same time. A 3090 can hold a decent hashrate even while playing games, just not ultra rtx enabled ones, but anything else it will chug away doing both without a hiccup.

As far as mining goes, to each their own. I could care less is mining goes away. Need the "market" to go back to normal life to leave us gamer/gpu users some stock to work with. Too many work from home people jumped in on gpu purchasing.

Was just thinking it was common sense. Just think of all the consoles, PC's and handheld gaming devices, laptops etc... all used for gaming or watching media. I just can't fathom how mining would ever come close to that.

With the right card you can get away with both mining and gaming at the same time. A 3090 can hold a decent hashrate even while playing games, just not ultra rtx enabled ones, but anything else it will chug away doing both without a hiccup.

As far as mining goes, to each their own. I could care less is mining goes away. Need the "market" to go back to normal life to leave us gamer/gpu users some stock to work with. Too many work from home people jumped in on gpu purchasing.
Someone should chime in here if this is true. I know on a 2080 ti there is no possible way I can play newer games at 1440p/144 fps (rtx disabled) and mine at the same time.

Was just thinking it was common sense. Just think of all the consoles, PC's and handheld gaming devices, laptops etc... all used for gaming or watching media. I just can't fathom how mining would ever come close to that.

Easy…. 24/7 operation vs a few hours at a time. I often go several days without launching a game. Many kids are allowed a very small allowance or none at all during the week. How often do dedicated mining rigs get turned off?

Then we have the number of GPUs. By in large, a gamer games on one GPU, very few miners, mine on one GPU.

Easy…. 24/7 operation vs a few hours at a time. I often go several days without launching a game. Many kids are allowed a very small allowance or none at all during the week. How often do dedicated mining rigs get turned off?

Then we have the number of GPUs, by in large, a gamer games on one GPU, very few miners, mine on one GPU.

There are too many random opinions without setting any parameters. Some people are talking about a single GPU for gaming vs. mining; others are talking about every gaming device vs. every mining device in the world.

You can't play video games on a bitcoin mining ASIC, so there's really no point in comparing the Bitcoin mining power draw to anything of "entertainment" value.

Plus, what does that first chart even mean if the numbers add up to more than 100%? I call it 140% bull shit ;).

You can't play video games on a bitcoin mining ASIC, so there's really no point in comparing the Bitcoin mining power draw to anything of "entertainment" value.

Plus, what does that first chart even mean if the numbers add up to more than 100%? I call it 140% bull shit.

Can you read? Numbers in each column do not equal 100% because its a break down of power use per generation type, not overall power, so for the lazy man it is saying that of hydroelectric generation cyptomining (not exclusively bitcoin) uses 60% of hydroelectric generation in Europe, 33% of natural gas generation, 2% of coal, etc, etc.

You are so damn desperate to defend cryptocurrency, give your head a shake and at least read before you jump off the deep end.

Can you read? Numbers in each column do not equal 100% because its a break down of power use per generation type, not overall power, so for the lazy man it is saying that of hydroelectric generation cyptomining (not exclusively bitcoin) uses 60% of hydroelectric generation in Europe, 33% of natural gas generation, 2% of coal, etc, etc.

You are so damn desperate to defend cryptocurrency, give your head a shake and at least read before you jump off the deep end.

And you are so damn desperate to disparage it that you don't read where the article says that 76% of crypto miners rely on some form of renewable energy.

That article was pro-crypto not anti-crypto. You should read it. My point was that it was a confusing chart.

Prices are tanking hard. 3080's were ~$2200 a week or two ago, now ~$1800. Ebay.
There will be another massive blow shortly after eth's london fork, by end of July.
I saw a post on my local FB marketplace yesterday where a scalper was trying to sell a 3080 for "only" about $1000. Still tons of shitbags posting $500 prices "so they can offer shipping" and then saying the price is really some much higher and you have to pay with paypal, but still... It does seem like the price of the 30 series might be softening a little.

I saw a post on my local FB marketplace yesterday where a scalper was trying to sell a 3080 for "only" about $1000. Still tons of shitbags posting $500 prices "so they can offer shipping" and then saying the price is really some much higher and you have to pay with paypal, but still... It does seem like the price of the 30 series might be softening a little.
Has anyone compiled data on these price trends, so we can see if prices decline X% a week or a month?

Going to be a slower crash this time since there are more uninformed purchasers. But ill be shocked if crash isnt coming. And it will be prior to staking since modern markets anticipate things.

And can we take a moment to acknowledge that someone said mining uses less energy than gaming??? Lol what??

And yes crypto is largely used for greymarket/tax evasion reasons (not so much full black market anymore). Just look at John McAfee that is all you need to know. However the point is that as it develops it has the potential to be used for legit mainstream (well not BTC bit some of the altcoins).

Going to be a slower crash this time since there are more uninformed purchasers. But ill be shocked if crash isnt coming. And it will be prior to staking since modern markets anticipate things.

And can we take a moment to acknowledge that someone said mining uses less energy than gaming??? Lol what??

And yes crypto is largely used for greymarket/tax evasion reasons (not so much full black market anymore). Just look at John McAfee that is all you need to know. However the point is that as it develops it has the potential to be used for legit mainstream (well not BTC bit some of the altcoins).
Just by the amount of more GPUs in the [H] FS forum you can tell it's letting up a bit. If we drop to 20k in btc prices we will see a lot more cards available.

Gaming on my 6900xt chews up far more power than mining does. It's not really even close.

Making statements like overall miners as a lot consume more power or less power than gamers as a lot is purely speculatory. Nobody can prove anything here, just like proving crypto is largely used for tax evasion purposes or not. There is no solid proof one way or the other for any of it that I'm aware of.

Gaming on my 6900xt chews up far more power than mining does. It's not really even close.

Making statements like overall miners as a lot consume more power or less power than gamers as a lot is purely speculatory. Nobody can prove anything here, just like proving crypto is largely used for tax evasion purposes or not. There is no solid proof one way or the other for any of it that I'm aware of.
Unless you’re gaming 24/7 for months at a time, mining consumes more power.

So this thread started 20 days ago. Have we all as a group learned anything? Ideas on which to agree to disagree?

I can say based on some recent posts I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be able to get a card at a reasonable price towards the end of this year or early in 2022. Sooner would be better, but I'm not that optimistic.

Unless you’re gaming 24/7 for months at a time, mining consumes more power.
I don't disagree with that. One GPU in a system used for gaming for a few hours over a week vs. that same single GPU used for mining during the rest of the time? Mining will use more power in total.

I don't see how that's particularly relevant or interesting. The bigger picture is unfortunately an unknown at this point and likely to remain that way.

I don't disagree with that. One GPU in a system used for gaming for a few hours over a week vs. that same single GPU used for mining during the rest of the time? Mining will use more power in total.

I don't see how that's particularly relevant or interesting. The bigger picture is unfortunately an unknown at this point and likely to remain that way.
I pay for power by the month, not the day, as I'm sure everybody does. I don't know how that can't be "particularly interesting." Between all my gaming equipment I'm using around 70-80 kWh a month. That includes my displays.

And you are so damn desperate to disparage it that you don't read where the article says that 76% of crypto miners rely on some form of renewable energy.

That article was pro-crypto not anti-crypto. You should read it. My point was that it was a confusing chart.

Not at all, you where incorrect about the chart and I pointed that out. As to the articles point, that is where the chart falls apart, yes I can see that as a % crypto uses a larger % of renewable power, but how much renewable is generated vs. traditional? if coal and natural gas make up 30x or more the power generation of renewables, then its using a similar amount of wattage for each source and the statement that crypto relies and supports green energy is incorrect. In reality the statement cannot be correct as most consumers do not chose the source of their power, we just buy as provided by utility companies, so the general power use should be along production lines for each nation, outside of a few large mining operations that may negotiate specific power supply contracts (and then it would more be a factor of purchasing cheapest power than prioritizing green power).

What I see from crypto supporters is not rational arguments, its tonic salesmen that muddy the water with every statement, like the ongoing and frankly stupid discussion over what uses more power, crypto mining or gaming. Cryptomining, the undisputible answer is crypto mining and you don't need some report to prove it unless your a tonic salesman. Why? Because cryptomining requires 24/7 operation to be viable, and no one games 24/7. Que the 'you can't prove that' followed by this link then followed by your source isn't valid, so here is another.

I also see assumptions like me being anti-crypto, when I am just anti-fud you and yours spew. It adds nothing.

Last edited:

Lmao, contract murders. How did I miss this post?

My scroll wheel whenever I see Bitcoin + "drug deals" or "dark web" in the same sentence:

XU8hVWA.jpg

Last edited:
I don't do mining, and I have a bunch of builds for myself and others that are on hold because of the GPU situation, but I don't want to see crypto tank. It would hurt people I don't want to see get hurt, and the banksters would enjoy it too much.

I agree that Crypto craze will never end, however, the GPU rush will always remain cyclical.

if every major GPU crypto continues this Etherium lifetime transition ( become popular, get rushed. then go to proof of stake), then there will always be a selloff period associated with the transition (do you keep your GPUs and start mining penny stocks, or do you sell-off and buy more ETH to increase stake?)

Should be pretty good used prices over the next year (Wait 6 month s for prices to drop down below msrp, but buy before the next big coin sorts itself out!)

Last edited:
I agree that Crypto craze will never end, however, the GPU rush will always remain cyclical.

if every major GPU crypto continues this Etherium lifetime transition ( become popular, get rushed. then go to proof of stake), then there will always be a selloff period associated with the transition (do you keep your GPUs and start mining penny stocks, or do you sell-off and buy more ETH to increase stake?)

Should be pretty good used prices over the next year (Wait 6 month s for prices to drop down below msrp, but buy before the next big coin sorts itself out!)

I can't wait for that transition. The electricity bitcoin is using does not need to be spent or even generated in the first place.

So people consume/buy a card to use it for a few hours a week? :ROFLMAO: Then complain not enough cards out there? For those that actually have cards and rarely use them, how about sell them to folks that will use them. Including miners and real gamers. Maybe the scarcity, desert of cards are those hoarding into systems that are rarely used . . . hmmmm

As for Crypto, is not inflation hitting Crypto? 1 coin BTC turned into several coins like Litecoin and now, well over 8000 projects. Just make more up out of thin air. Think about it.

I pay for power by the month, not the day, as I'm sure everybody does. I don't know how that can't be "particularly interesting." Between all my gaming equipment I'm using around 70-80 kWh a month. That includes my displays.
What would be more interesting is reliable well fleshed out figures on how much total power is consumed per year for mining vs. gaming on a global scale.

Not that I'd get all judgemental about it even if one or the other did come out on top of that comparison. I really don't care how much you or anyone else uses. Still, this would be a far more interesting data point vs. how much you personally use over a week vs. anyone else.

What would be more interesting is reliable well fleshed out figures on how much total power is consumed per year for mining vs. gaming on a global scale.

Not that I'd get all judgemental about it even if one or the other did come out on top of that comparison. I really don't care how much you or anyone else uses. Still, this would be a far more interesting data point vs. how much you personally use over a week vs. anyone else.
To me, the real issue is the amount of real increase in total goods and services created by all this crypto activity. As far as i can tell, it's financial engineering run amok. Not quite as bad as the leveraged buyouts that pay big for the private equity guys but destroy real jobs and companies but still wasting resources.

Then we have the number of GPUs. By in large, a gamer games on one GPU, very few miners, mine on one GPU.
You are being a goof. We are talking BILLIONS of people here and the massive server infrastucture to support them. How about YT vs. Mining alone? Stop being so simple and think of reality.

Back