What idle wattage should I expect from a new system?

Ceph92

Limp Gawd
In my long experience with computers, all desktops seem to settle at around 60watts at idle. Has this changed?

I'm trying to build a new file server from newer old parts and am surprised that like the previous two, they also idle at 60-ish watts.

So if I were to get a totally new components, what system idle watts could I expect?

I've seen some workplace PCs get down into the 20s, but those are SFF Dells and the like.

How much storage do you need? A rPi could do the job @ ~ 10 watts if only a single spinner is required.

It will vary very widely depending on components. I have one machine with a 3400GE APU which uses ~20W AC, and one with a 5950X and discrete GPU that uses ~80W. I've sen PCs go even lower/higher than that.

I just glanced at my old file server, 90 watts with 8 drives (100TB), i7 4770, 16GB, Noctua with 90mm fan, 120mm case fan, 2x 80mm case fans, 2x ICY Dock cages with 90mm fans.

IMG_1197.JPEG

Reactions: Nobu
like this
How much storage do you need? A rPi could do the job @ ~ 10 watts if only a single spinner is required.
I'd like an actual case, I have a handful of drives to plug in. I've considered just using usb3 and samba from my dd-wrt router, but I don't like the drives not being secure and actively cooled.

So what do I look for to insure super low power consumption? There's no ratings for mobos and CPUs go by max watts.

I'd like an actual case, I have a handful of drives to plug in. I've considered just using usb3 and samba from my dd-wrt router, but I don't like the drives not being secure and actively cooled.

So what do I look for to insure super low power consumption? There's no ratings for mobos and CPUs go by max watts.
Active cooling drives is only really necessary in cases with poor airflow and large (3+) arrays of drives. two or three drives spaced an inch or two apart with fresh air all around don't require any special cooling (although they would need to be dusted off if outside of an enclosure).

If performance isn't important, a laptop or a mitx/uatx system with an apu/integrated graphics will net the lowest power draw.

I also have an Intel i3 NUC with a Mediasonic 4 Bay USB3 , and that is a low wattage solution as well. Used it for Chia farming for a friend.

Reactions: Nobu
like this
High end PC's, even in a lean configuration can idle at 90w-120w. It really depends on the configuration.

My rig idles at 125w with all the RGB off, and 145-180w with it on (all blue is lowest, all white highest).

I have all C states enabled.

And that doesn't include the 4 60w 30mm fans on my car radiator to cool it! (Which at idle run at 20%) 😎

Modern stuff can idle pretty low for what it is. But That's with a cpu, gpu, and m.2 drive as the components. HDDs are going to be 6W plus each on top of the basic components and if you aren't buying data center specific drives, you are probably going to see closer to 10w each.

An appropriately sized PSU with an efficiency curve ideal for your expected load can help. Don't discount the role of software, either; HDDs can be set to spin down, etc.

Back