What happened to Zen 3+?

naw its been in works for awhile from all the rumors it'll prob be called the 6000 series but will have that lovely 3d v-cache going forward it'll be a nice feature to have. its coming dont worry plus the fix's for amd on win 11 since intel sponsored that OS.

amd will get the fixes that intel put there on purpose for amd to trip over lol. We will get back to fair competition again soon.

naw its been in works for awhile from all the rumors it'll prob be called the 6000 series but will have that lovely 3d v-cache going forward it'll be a nice feature to have. its coming dont worry plus the fix's for amd on win 11 since intel sponsored that OS.

amd will get the fixes that intel put there on purpose for amd to trip over lol. We will get back to fair competition again soon.
Proof or evidence of any of your claims?

I thought they were releasing the new ones Q4?
Probably some technical hurdles to get over and supply issues continuing. There's a rumored roadmap leak floating around the net that shows another iteration for AM4 socket for Q4 but it's likely delayed if we see it at all this year. The stacked cache may be quite challenging for large scale production

The 5000 series is doing well and the recent driver issues with windows 11 combined with supply chain issues likely delayed it. If it shows up before summer 2022 I'll be impressed.

I'd also expect a delay for DDR5 memory and AM5 due to the *vaguely gestures at supply chain and manufacturing at a whole* of right now.

i call micro center/ mem express once a week to keep them updated on making sure if these do slip into the chain im down for the 5950 with 3d vcache as im sure scalpers gonna scalp the ever living hell outa these once the go on sale.

i call micro center/ mem express once a week to keep them updated on making sure if these do slip into the chain im down for the 5950 with 3d vcache as im sure scalpers gonna scalp the ever living hell outa these once the go on sale.
I dunno, if you have a MicroCenter, you are probably safe if you can wait it out a month or so. My MC has had 25+ in stock of all 5000 series CPUs since about June at MSRP.

I wonder about Threadripper update, delays and if ever receiving 3d vcache. With Threadripper, will AMD have a VCache on two of the dies for better single thread type performance and none on the other two dies? 1 die or 4 dies? So far it looks like no VCache for Threadripper. Is AMD just waiting on Intel so they can spoil the release? Even though it is thought Intel HEDT Sapphire Rapids is 3rd QTR 2022. I see no reason for AMD to hold off on Threadripper update if just Zen 3 chips, Zen 3 CPUs are now easy to get even below MSRP pricing, maybe a pleasant surprise is coming with Threadripper. Zen3+/VCache?

Can't remember having seen anything that would suggest a certain month for the zen3+ release or that it will be released in 2021, mostly just rumors. Most likely either late Q4 2021 or sometime in Q1 2022 are the most likely scenarios and they probably make most sense for those with 3000 series CPUs or older.

Yeah I watched AMD's video this morning.

Techpowerup's little news flash there is a little strange:

"What remains unclear is whether the updated "Zen 3" chips with 3DV Cache will herald a new platform, or whether these chips will be built on the existing Socket AM4 with DDR4 memory and PCI-Express Gen 4."

AMD very explicitly says there will be a 3D V-Cache CPU on AM4.

Also smacking down recent rumors that Zen 4/AM5 might not support PCI-E 5-----AMD says it will. Its a pretty good video. I suggest people watch it.

Last edited:
I wonder about Threadripper update, delays and if ever receiving 3d vcache. With Threadripper, will AMD have a VCache on two of the dies for better single thread type performance and none on the other two dies? 1 die or 4 dies? So far it looks like no VCache for Threadripper. Is AMD just waiting on Intel so they can spoil the release? Even though it is thought Intel HEDT Sapphire Rapids is 3rd QTR 2022. I see no reason for AMD to hold off on Threadripper update if just Zen 3 chips, Zen 3 CPUs are now easy to get even below MSRP pricing, maybe a pleasant surprise is coming with Threadripper. Zen3+/VCache?
i doubt threadripper will get vCache. vCache is basically just a boost for gaming from what i understand?? i could be (and probably) wrong? if so, probably also just be a limited amount of skews. i'm thinking like a 5800X-3D, 5900X-3D, and maybe 5600X-3D? just a guess tho. wish they would give us a little more info. but probably want to keep selling their processors and keep people from holding out from making a purchase until the new ones drop.

and thinking back on amd, i remember when they came out with their 3Dnow! chips. maybe they'll start branding certain chips with the 3D moniker to push what they consider their "gaming" chips??? kinda like how they had their FX line of athlon's back in the day? which kinda hinted at 3D FX??? so hardcore gamers knew which ones you really wanted? (like we didn't already) but who knows.

and thinking back on amd, i remember when they came out with their 3Dnow! chips. maybe they'll start branding certain chips with the 3D moniker to push what they consider their "gaming" chips??? kinda like how they had their FX line of athlon's back in the day? which kinda hinted at 3D FX??? so hardcore gamers knew which ones you really wanted? (like we didn't already) but who knows.
they already call their huge cache "gamecache".

3Dnow! was a legit improvement on MMX instructions, BTW.

I dunno, if you have a MicroCenter, you are probably safe if you can wait it out a month or so. My MC has had 25+ in stock of all 5000 series CPUs since about June at MSRP.
unfortunately where i live i have zero comp stores lol i have to get my bro in a different part of canada to go to these places. i put the call in ask them to put me on a list then send him to go grab it when i get the call. but good news is looks like these zen3+ are comming early 2022 hopefully.

It will be interesting to see what the gigantic cache does. I think that for many games it will result in more stable frame rates, but not necessarily much higher average frame rates. AMD will also need some excellent quality silicon if the new chips are to run at the same clock speeds as the originals while having all that extra cache strapped to them. Maybe there will be other refinements to the architecture or the manufacturing process?

that plus these are pure copper so it in theory should help even more wit h thermals as its made at least in part of copper tsv's.

Same as always wait for reviews to appear and they will. I think that Amd's claims as of late have been quite accurate though so no real reason to doubt the data put forth. It will be interesting to see how the extra cache affects cpu thermals.

itll be great for coding and apps that can use really take advantage of this and going forward this might be how they add that extra cherry ontop of new cpus wich i would love.

I'm really curious what the benchmarks are gonna show, as someone who is equally interested in faster transcoding and rendering as I am in gaming performance.

I imagine it will be like any new CPU these days; if you use low settings, on a cheap video card, at 1080p... then it will shine, but likely at FPS already too high to matter anyway. Who knows for other tasks though. My 5950x right now does not even break a sweat at anything. Even if I run Prime95 and max CPU and memory out at 100% I can still do things without much of an issue... lol. I can run a game, run VMs, browse the web, talk on discord and probably stream without getting a single stutter while in the game!

RedGamingTech says V-Cache Zen3 goes into production in November.

A new B2 stepping of regular Zen 3 has shipped and is expected to be regularly available by December. No specifics one what this stepping entails. Speculation is that it employs some bug fixes. Other (not from RedGamingTech) speculation that it may be lower Z-height (In other words, moving the entire production to a configuration which can accommodate the stacked V-Cache.)

RedGamingTech says not to expect any tangible improvements to clockspeeds from B2 or the Z-cache chips.

I imagine it will be like any new CPU these days; if you use low settings, on a cheap video card, at 1080p... then it will shine, but likely at FPS already too high to matter anyway.
With recent title on the latest biggest cpu, I feel cpu can scale quite a bit even at 1440p-medium with a would like 120fps target and not juste at low going for something e-sport niche high.

Maybe it changed since with optimisation and update, but on launch for Cyberpunk:

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/4c4mqtzjBZtPb4QP2KerUD.png

At 1440p it scaled all the way up to a 5950x, maybe with the next GPU refresh for some title people would see something.

With recent title on the latest biggest cpu, I feel cpu can scale quite a bit even at 1440p-medium with a would like 120fps target and not juste at low going for something e-sport niche high.

Maybe it changed since with optimisation and update, but on launch for Cyberpunk:

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/4c4mqtzjBZtPb4QP2KerUD.png

At 1440p it scaled all the way up to a 5950x, maybe with the next GPU refresh for some title people would see something.
Yeah, maybe I suppose. I think I am set for awhile now with just upgrading GPUs as I game at 4K... lol. With DLSS though, I guess the CPU can play a larger role as well for the overall smoothness of a game to keep a solid framerate. While my overall frames were not a massive improvement from my old Haswell-e 5960x, my lows and stuttering are worlds better. I don't even feel dips anymore, which makes for a great gaming experience.

imagine it will be like any new CPU these days; if you use low settings, on a cheap video card, at 1080p... then it will shine, but likely at FPS already too high to matter anyway
Not for the games I play. I want large Planet Coaster/Planet Zoo parks without slowdown, those games are ridiculously CPU limited. I'd settle for a steady 30fps at even somewhat full park size. Equivalent for stuff like Satisfactory, cities skylines, kingdoms and castles, etc. I like my simulation games.

Not for the games I play. I want large Planet Coaster/Planet Zoo parks without slowdown, those games are ridiculously CPU limited. I'd settle for a steady 30fps at even somewhat full park size. Equivalent for stuff like Satisfactory, cities skylines, kingdoms and castles, etc. I like my simulation games.
Man, I have not played Cities Skylines in awhile... may have to fire that one back up.

Man, I have not played Cities Skylines in awhile... may have to fire that one back up.
I haven't played in a while either. It needs a sequel or massive engine upgrade. It just can't handle workshop content with even a moderately sized city.

I say, with mods that remove city size limitations, affect AI and having hundreds of aesthetic building mods.

Threadripper Zen 3(+)? Pro has seen some light but rumours of AMD cancelling Zen 3 for the non Pro is going around. AMD availability for Threadripper 3xxx (24,32,64 core) has one source, Microcenter, for only 3970x as available, zero availability for the 3960x and 3990x, which has only one store having it in stock. All other sellers seems to be totally out of stock of all non Pro Threadrippers with Zen 2. Hard for me to believe AMD will just adbandone HEDT TRX40. Will the new Threadripper, Zen 3, be all Pro chips and depending upon the motherboard will either use 4 or 8 channels of memory? Also pcie lanes available on the motherboard? AMD has been relatively good on hiding what they are going to release.

Will AMD dump TR non pro with tens of thousands of new available TRX40 motherboards available while having zero CPUs to go into them? That would really piss off a lot of folks, retailers, businesses etc. if the case.

That's one way to lose faith from the OEMs if you can't supply them they will have to go with who ever can supply demand.

Hell yeah, simulation games ftw.

im doing all i can pulling all favours owed from friends who live in a civilized city (lol) that has a micro center, mem exspress, best buy, to see if they can be put on a wait list to get 1 as it seems these witll be vapour like gpus since gdamn crypto miners and the new Raptoreum.

im doing all i can pulling all favours owed from friends who live in a civilized city (lol) that has a micro center, mem exspress, best buy, to see if they can be put on a wait list to get 1 as it seems these witll be vapour like gpus since gdamn crypto miners and the new Raptoreum.

PM me if they do come out since I'll probably forget. But yeah, looks like they'll be good for CPU mining so if you want one I'd get it early. Microcenter has a 1 CPU per person limit I believe but I don't think they're checking to make sure you don't buy more than 1 every 30 days or anything like with GPUs, so conceivably one person could go there every day and clean the stores out pretty quickly.

thats what i was worried about happening all i need is 1 for my main rig so i can put this 5950x into my Ghost Build. then ill be good till pcie 6 and mature ddr5.

hopefully already got reservations at one store in Canada and one in the us with a friend just incase it doesnt die the fiery death it needs to.

hopefully already got reservations at one store in Canada and one in the us with a friend just incase it doesnt die the fiery death it needs to.

You're WAY too concerned about Raptoreum. If it was going to cause a crunch on CPU inventory, you wouldn't be able to find Ryzen 9's in stock now. As it is, you can buy a 5950x right now at a discount from Amazon, NE, etc. In 3-4 months time when an extra cache version appears, the difficulty will be so high that nobody will be buying CPUs just for this because the ROI will be years.

So calm down.

Back