What do you want to see in games?

Generally speaking: I wish publishers would take more risks. Its a giant problem that apparently, game companies live and die on the possibility that every single game doesn't sell better than 5 million or whatever. Its insanity. If you can't float most games on 1 million sales----some drastic restructuring is needed.

Because of this point alone, Most of the PS4/Xbone gen felt like the previous gen----with cleaner graphics (see: the same games rehashed over and over). Until very recently have I been seeing somewhat fresh games releasing.

I don't even care to get super specific about what I do/do not want. Just take more risks and let some talent express itself.

If i'm specific at all, I would like to see western developers try to do some things which don't involve being as hardcore and shootery/murdery/gross as possible.
And I would like to see Japanese devs step away from the pandering Anime loli/boobcore character designs. Lets stop and take a look at some of the classic 80's and 90's anime. I'm not a giant anime fan. But I can't deny that Ghost in The Shell looks cool as heck. Patlabor has just the right take on regular people and giant robots. Yoshitaka Amano puts beauty on a canvas. etc. Rey's introduction in The Force Awakens and general aesthetic were actually near shot-for-shot lifted from Nausicaa. The point is Japan used to really be on to something and I think they should stop and take a long and hard look at all that stuff.

Last edited:
RPGs are one thing. When it extends to racing titles...you lost your way. It just makes navigation more complicated. Just stick with menus. I remember when SSX3 introduced that "mountain." It just made navigating the different events/maps more painful. I really was excited for the game because I loved Tricky. But, that killed the franchise for me.
Bull effing shit. Open world is not the problem. Badly designed and ill utilizied open world is. The best racing game ever is open world, so don't tell me being open world is the reason why games are bad.

Bull effing shit. Open world is not the problem. Badly designed and ill utilizied open world is. The best racing game ever is open world, so don't tell me being open world is the reason why games are bad.

Open world inherently makes many games bad. Not all, but many. You can do your best, but it simply doesn't translate to all genres or games. Which goes back to your point, badly designed open worlds are bad. The problem is too many developers insist on going that route when they know it will result in a worse experience. And that is what needs to change.

About half of all open world games released would be better off without an open world, because there is nothing that could be done to make them play better in an open world.

Back