What do you think of Gaia-X European Initiative for Federated Dataspaces? Could it actually work?

JargonGR

Limp Gawd
I was browsing their website recently and they seem to be pushing for quite an ambitious goal. They are aiming to develop a standard that allows seamless interoperability between cloud providers and the sharing of data through a cloud layer (their reference solution) that ensures security, sovereignty of data and easy access (through automated identity management) for all participating entities. They are a non profit organization....

You might need to read up on this to understand what they are trying to achieve and it seems like they have yet to deliver some code but it sure seems like they have attracted interest since even Microsoft and Amazon are members in the organization (why is the question....)

So what are your thoughts?

Here are some key documents to read:

https://www.gaia-x.eu/publications

"cloud", "cloud layer", "sharing of data", "security, sovereignty of data and easy access (through automated identity management)", "Microsoft and Amazon are members", "non-profit".

Freedom is in decentralization. Making everyone go through anything binary that a corporate entity put in place is not.

"cloud", "cloud layer", "sharing of data", "security, sovereignty of data and easy access (through automated identity management)", "Microsoft and Amazon are members", "non-profit".

Freedom is in decentralization. Making everyone go through anything binary that a corporate entity put in place is not.
This is not a corporate entity though......it is an open standard from a non-profit organization and it is based on open source software....The members are there to contribute knowledge and not impose directives.

I have some clients that could make use of it that's why I am looking forward to see how it evolves.....they don't sell something though. They will (hopefully) provide a reference "solution" (code) supposedly Q1 2022.......they are also backed by several ministries (i.e. Germany & France).........

You need to read up in order to see what they are trying to achieve.........but I am not sure if they manage to pull it through, politics aside....that's why I was hoping for some discussion here before we spend more time on evaluating them.....

Their "literature" is quite theoretical though and I only found some practical application of their initiative through a paper on Industry 4.0 by the German ministry.

You need to read up in order to see what they are trying to achieve.........but I am not sure if they manage to pull it through, politics aside....that's why I was hoping for some discussion here before we spend more time on evaluating them.....

Their "literature" is quite theoretical though and I only found some practical application of their initiative through a paper on Industry 4.0 by the German ministry.
You're right about the getting informed first part, I admit I have a very knee-jerk reaction nowadays to a lot of initiatives, and many industry names make me see red.
Part of the reason I don't work in IT anymore and instead enjoy certain parts of it only as a hobby.

Back