What do I need to setup a 2.5GbE network from my PC to my DS1621+ (possible 10GbE in the future?)

DoubleTap

2[H]4U
We have a pretty simple home network - almost everything is on GbE except the younger kids have 100Mb via a phone line adapter (open to ideas here as I'd like to back up their systems over 1GbE)

I'd like to find a switch that has a few 2.5GbE ports and maybe 12-16 GbE ports - I want 2.5 to my NAS, but then 1.0 to the internet and the rest of the house.

All connections terminate in my home office - the Synology has quad 2.5 ports and I could add a 10GbE port if it ever makes sense.

Any switch recommendations would be appreciated.

My new mobo is the Z590 Strix-i - it has a single 2.5 port, but no slots to add new NIC. I've seen USB based 10GbE adapters - my sense is that 2.5 will be plenty - I'm running 4TB spinners in the nas, so nothing too fancy.

For the kids to upgrade them to gigabit, what phone line adapter are you using?

If you only need 2.5Gbe to the NAS, I would simply use a usb 1Gb adapter for the regular traffic and make a dedicated 2.5Gb link from your system to the NAS with a crossover cable. The reason to do this is that new 2.5Gb switches are more expensive than used enterprise 10Gb switches (and sometimes even 40Gb).

For the kids to upgrade them to gigabit, what phone line adapter are you using?

If you only need 2.5Gbe to the NAS, I would simply use a usb 1Gb adapter for the regular traffic and make a dedicated 2.5Gb link from your system to the NAS with a crossover cable. The reason to do this is that new 2.5Gb switches are more expensive than used enterprise 10Gb switches (and sometimes even 40Gb).
Not a bad idea, I have a USB-C GbE adapter - just not sure if there is a downside for gaming / pings, etc.

I'm seeing some decent switches on Amazon for under $200 though....

Back