What did you think of the NVidia 3000 Series Launch?

What did you think of the NVidia 3000 Series Launch?

• Massively Disappointing: Expected Unicorn Power.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Slightly Disappointing: Wanted/Expected more.

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • OK: Met Expectaions.

Votes: 21 11.5%
  • Very nice: Better than expected.

Votes: 124 67.8%
  • Mind blowing: Unicorn Power is here!

Votes: 21 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am leaning toward RTX 3080. I usually buy the top card, but I don't think I will get the RTX 3090. I would have preferred them also to include an RTX 3080ti somewhere between RTX 3080 and RTX 3090.

I thought it was pretty fantastic. I knew I was interested beforehand, but they hit it out of the park.
Performance, price, new features, and even HDMI 2.1 support.
I don't think it's going to change gaming forever or anything, but it made me excited for new hardware.

Let’s see some benchmarks. I’ve been in this hobby way too long to drink the kool aid every launch. I’ve seen so many things not pan out. We’re basing opinions on the wrong things currently. Show me some numbers.

Looks like the real deal. DF wasn't allowed to show actual FPS, but 3080 vs 2080 generational improvement:

70-80% improvement in Raster games.
90-100% improvement in heavy Ray Tracing.

Waiting for benches, but I'm impressed. I'm looking at either the 3080 or 3090, most likely the 80 due to price, but we'll see what the benches show. Want to build a Zen 3 system to go with it, so hoping there's a announcement regarding that at some point. Coming from a 4690k / 970, been saving and saving for the right time (don't bring home too much, so it's been in the works for a good bit), and really considering just treating myself and going all out with the 3090, but I'm sure whatever happens, it will seem like an unbelievable upgrade compared to what I have.

I hope 3090 can deliver 4k performance the way the 2080 Ti handles 1440p. If so, it's going to be glorious!

I’m intrigued by the whitelisted mouse and specific 360hz mouse setup used for Reflex.
I don’t think it’ll improve my gaming, just under the hood geekery all perky.

Let’s see some benchmarks. I’ve been in this hobby way too long to drink the kool aid every launch. I’ve seen so many things not pan out. We’re basing opinions on the wrong things currently. Show me some numbers.

Yeah no opinion until I see lots of reviews.

I was impressed. Looks like a solid lineup. I 100% feel that the pricing we saw today was in reaction to NVIDIA anticipating Big Navi.

I want to see how folks react to all the heat and sound these produce. I got a feeling that is not a lot of OC headroom in these cards with these coolers. Will be interesting to see as well.

Very impressed. I did not expect prices to be that reasonable or performance to be that high. Finally AMD is forcing Nvidia to work a little and it pays off for us all.

look good performance wise but will need more benches and reviews before a final decision.

So happy the 3080 is $699. I was anticipating $799 but at $699 I’m more than stoked for the 3080!

I was pleasantly surprised. I was thinking 3060 would be as far up stack I would look.

But pricing and performance of 3070 is tempting me. Though I need to build a new system first, and I take the "3070 faster than 2080 Ti" with grains of salt right now.

better then expected in terms of pricing...I'll wait for some independent testing as far as performance numbers but things are looking good...

I’m waiting for people to freak out about the FE cooler dumping exhaust heat at cpu air cooler, top mounted aio tank, motherboard vrms, etc.
That’ll be fun.

I’m waiting for people to freak out about the FE cooler dumping exhaust heat at cpu air cooler, top mounted aio tank, motherboard vrms, etc.
That’ll be fun.
already being talked about and gn did a vid where they talking about it. its posted around here somewhere...

already being talked about and gn did a vid where they talking about it. its posted around here somewhere...

I'd like a mic drop vid where a thermal cam was used, and a generic 120mm exhaust fan had to trickle a couple 100rpm to exhaust the extra heat.

I was impressed, 10GB on the 3080 is a bit lower than I would have liked to be comfortable for the next two years but for $700 it can live with it. I'm still interested to see what Big Navi brings to the table and what Nvidia will respond with but I likely will get a 3080 near launch anyway and upgrade later if games start using 10gb+ regularly.

Nvidia left alot of room between the 3080 and the 3090.
I mean 10GB of memory to 24GB of memory, nothing inbetween?
Plus 699 for the 3080 and 1499 for the 3090?
This deal is ripe for a card at roughly 1000 that I think will be the 3080 Ti.
The 3090 is a Titan in sheeps clothing.

My money is on the "Ti" version to be unleashed when AMD finally puts up their "Big Navi" GPU.
They have been very quiet lately.
A 1000 dollar 3080 Ti with 15 GB of RAM would simply kill off Navi before it hit the ground.

Better than expected, for sure. Based on initial impressions, I have decided to get a 3080 to try 4k/120. If I still feel it is lacking, I will sell it and get a 3090.

The 3080 performance looks to be really good for the price. Definitely surprised on that front.

That’ll be fun.

If it actually works like this:
20200901172854.jpg

Then it's an improvement over the 3 open air fans, just randomly circulating air in the case.

The only caveat I want to toss out there since you asked what we thought about the launch is that the launch hasnt really happened yet until the day we can buy these. Inventory levels will really show how prepared they are and then we can define how we really feel. But thus far I believe that the presentation side of the launch was pretty well done and I am excited about the nVidia Broadcast features. That looks really sweet indeed. I wonder if they are going to allow the broadcast feature in Pascal drivers? A question for another topic though I suppose.

View attachment 275395

Then it's an improvement over the 3 open air fans, just randomly circulating air in the case.
yeah it is and now instead of a bit of mixed air coming from the edge of the card, there is bassically a direct feed into a tower cooler. i would probably build a shroud to direct it behind the cooler.

View attachment 275395

I'm going to shut my 3x 120mm intake fans 1 by 1 to see what impact that has vs 2x 140mm.

Be interesting to see how a standard partner cooler will work since the PCB is shorter.

I'm also hoping that we see reasons for 3x 140mm mesh front cases, or direct bottom intake like the o11.

I plan to get a 3090, but will wait for an evga FTW option as they tend to have higher clocks and power limits. I am excited though, but can afford to wait for options as the 2080Ti is still holding up very well at 4k gaming. But wow, looks like the 3xxx series is gonna be an awesome upgrade.

To me, it looks like they easily left room for a 3080Ti (or Super?) in the $1000 range to come out in about 6 months. Seeing as a 3090 is a full die, at best you see binned 3090s down the road as supers, but I highly doubt it.

does the math work for 15? the 10 really threw me off! i was figuring 80ti would be 16.
Very unlikely as 16gb would require either 256 bit (too little bandwidth) or 512 bit bus (too complex and expensive). 20GB would be more likely as it would use the same bus or 22GB if they increase the bus to 352 bits and hence bandwidth.

I was impressed, 10GB on the 3080 is a bit lower than I would have liked to be comfortable for the next two years but for $700 it can live with it. I'm still interested to see what Big Navi brings to the table and what Nvidia will respond with but I likely will get a 3080 near launch anyway and upgrade later if games start using 10gb+ regularly.

I am in the same boat. Impressed with 3080 but not the ram amount. So it might be best to wait until big Navi launches and see how it competes. Also that should have 16GB. But waiting might work out where we might get 20GB for 3080 model in a few months. Ofcourse for more money but I don’t mind spending another below 1k for 3080 20GB if navi disappoints.

That’ll be fun.
That cooler is certainly stealing the hardware side of the show!

I'm wondering if having what looks like two 'columns' of hot air pointed straight up in a normal orientation is good... or bad?

The axial fans on the previous FE and most third-party setups seemed to do alright, and that configuration did have the advantage / disadvantage of mixing the air that feeds other heat generators and coolers.

That cooler is certainly stealing the hardware side of the show!

I'm wondering if having what looks like two 'columns' of hot air pointed straight up in a normal orientation is good... or bad?

The axial fans on the previous FE and most third-party setups seemed to do alright, and that configuration did have the advantage / disadvantage of mixing the air that feeds other heat generators and coolers.

Mixed air isn't a problem imo since they're making a case for directed air not radically different than blower coolers.

How many PCs are under desks essentially in their own pocket of air in rooms without AC?

I don't recall rampant component death or structure fires as a result.

My only complaint is that they are still aggressively price gating Ray Tracing, by massively limiting the RT cores. On cards which area already expensive anyway. 2080ti was just barely a 1080p card, with Ray Tracing. And as it stands, that's what the 3070 will be, with the paltry amount of RT cores it has. And time will tell how long it is able to do it, even at 1080p. The 3080 seems like it might squeek into 1440p for RT, with the current handful of games. But I'm not confident about it being able to do exactly that, in some of the next gen games. They talk about a 1.7x increase in RT performance. But then they cut back the amount of RT cores in the 3070 and 3080. So the extra performance is at least partially eaten up, to fill the delta on cores. Theoretically.
Benchmarks could of course prove otherwise. But, it doesn't look good to me, on paper.

My only complaint is that they are still aggressively price gating Ray Tracing, by massively limiting the RT cores. On cards which area already expensive anyway. 2080ti was just barely a 1080p card, with Ray Tracing. And as it stands, that's what the 3070 will be, with the paltry amount of RT cores it has. And time will tell how long it is able to do it, even at 1080p. The 3080 seems like it might squeek into 1440p for RT, with the current handful of games. But I'm not confident about it being able to do exactly that, in some of the next gen games. They talk about a 1.7x increase in RT performance. But then they cut back the amount of RT cores in the 3070 and 3080. So the extra performance is at least partially eaten up, to fill the delta on cores. Theoretically.
Benchmarks could of course prove otherwise. But, it doesn't look good to me, on paper.
While I agree, the picture changes completely once you factor DLSS, I think nvidia will push it really hard maybe even making it mandatory for Ray Tracing.

I am in the same boat. Impressed with 3080 but not the ram amount. So it might be best to wait until big Navi launches and see how it competes. Also that should have 16GB. But waiting might work out where we might get 20GB for 3080 model in a few months. Ofcourse for more money but I don’t mind spending another below 1k for 3080 20GB if navi disappoints.
What games at what resolution even chews up more than 8GB of VRAM right now? I haven’t heard of any. Not that have a performance impact that I’ve seen.

What games at what resolution even chews up more than 8GB of VRAM right now? I haven’t heard of any. Not that have a performance impact that I’ve seen.

Microsoft flight sim can be very heavy on VRAM at higher settings. People have seen around 8-9 at 4k ultra. If you do a VR headset like a reverb with slightly more pixels than a 4k screen, I could see it squeezing up against an 8gb limit.

We'll see how it pans out but, they are using the Tensor cores to compress VRAM data and it is supposed to be significant. I wonder if/hope it will be backported to Turing.

While I agree, the picture changes completely once you factor DLSS, I think nvidia will push it really hard maybe even making it mandatory for Ray Tracing.
DLSS is cool. However, it definitely has some visual problems. Personally, I don't think we should have to rely on it for RT at 1440p or under. But from the looks of it, we may still need to. I think DLSS should be mostly meant for upscaling to 4K (understanding there are some visual issues) or for making high refresh rates possible in more games (understanding there are visual issues).

Again, tests may show the new RT cores to do better than I think they will. But on paper, it looks like Nvidia left AMD some room to possibly deliver a more well rounded card at the mid-range. I could easily see AMD coming out with 3070 and 3080 competitors in shading and rastor performance. But better overall performance with RT. Because AMD could decide to spec more RT cores or whatever their equivalent spec might be. And I suspect that significantly more RT cores will be the key improvement in Ampere's refresh a year or so from now.

Back