What CPU should I buy?

Had some time... Have to delve into serious stability testing but I'm posting and in Windows 11 at damn near 6 Ghz with boost (only pops up to 5.97 for a few seconds here and there) and the new RAM is running at a 4,353.6 Mhz in GEAR 1, at the stock RAM loose timings of CL19. It doesn't like it when I tighten the timings. Tried damn near everything.

Pushed the bus to 101.(2)5

I'm coming in 6% faster in Single Thread than a 13900K and 25% faster than the 7950...

You can see for yourselves the awesomeness that this processor is. The MB isn't even top end but it's been a pleasure to tinker and OC with. I only had to reset the BIOS 1 time out of like 20 RAM and CPU tweaks over a period of 3+ Hours.
View attachment 541116

View attachment 541115

It's hot tub time!
Put your RAM at 4000 and then try to tighten the timings. It may relax the memory controller enough, to allow you some rooms for lower timings. I have a set of Crucial Ballistix 3600 RAM which does 4000 on 11th and 12th gen Intel, without a voltage tweak or any change to timings, which are 16-18-18-38

Haven't tried them on a 13th gen yet.

Put your RAM at 4000 and then try to tighten the timings. It may relax the memory controller enough, to allow you some rooms for lower timings. I have a set of Crucial Ballistix 3600 RAM which does 4000 on 11th and 12th gen Intel, without a voltage tweak or any change to timings, which are 16-18-18-38

Haven't tried them on a 13th gen yet.
I have been pulling my hair out trying to get the timings to drop at the lower speeds. I tried CL14, 15, 16, 17 & 18 at 4,000 and it wouldn't pass memory training validation. BIOS would error out with a "Memory OC attempt Failed". Could be something bizarre with the RAM. I need to look more closely at them. They come with 2 XMP Profiles built in. 4600 and 3600 Mhz.

I was able to get the system to boot into windows at 4400 Mhz on Gear 1. I will likely try dialing it up there again but I'm pretty close now.

It will boot into Windows at 4600 Mhz on Gear 2. Won't do 1.

I have been pulling my hair out trying to get the timings to drop at the lower speeds. I tried CL14, 15, 16, 17 & 18 at 4,000 and it wouldn't pass memory training validation. BIOS would error out with a "Memory OC attempt Failed". Could be something bizarre with the RAM. I need to look more closely at them. They come with 2 XMP Profiles built in. 4600 and 3600 Mhz.

I was able to get the system to boot into windows at 4400 Mhz on Gear 1. I will likely try dialing it up there again but I'm pretty close now.

It will boot into Windows at 4600 Mhz on Gear 2. Won't do 1.
Are you trying to use 1T command rate in Gear 1?----because 12th generally doesn't like that.

What are the timings on their 3600 profile.

I was just looking at Neo Forza RAM on Newegg and all of their stuff over 4000 has some crazy high timings. That's....probably why they are able to sell it so cheap. **Oh I see, its likely Hynix DJR. which gives good speed, but not known for timings.
** Its also very possible that your board will have better compatiblity with Neo Forza RAM, in a later bios update. 13th gen boards are still very new. And a less common brand like that probably doesn't get priority in the first few bios updates.

Last edited:
What are the timings on their 3600 profile.

I was just looking at Neo Forza RAM on Newegg and all of their stuff over 4000 has some crazy high timings. That's....probably why they are able to sell it so cheap. **Oh I see, its likely Hynix DJR. which gives good speed, but not known for timings.
** Its also very possible that your board will have better compatiblity with Neo Forza RAM, in a later bios update. 13th gen boards are still very new. And a less common brand like that probably doesn't get priority in the first few bios updates.
I didn't bother with the 3600 MHz profile. I will look at that when I have a chance. The 4600 Mhz stuff is CL19 with loose timings. It just blows my older 3866 Team CL18 stuff out of the water. Was kind of hoping I could get timings down to at least CL15 at 4000... However, after the "OC" failed trying to drop the speed and Latency to 14, 15, 16, 17 & 18 I tried Pushing the Latency to 20 and it still bombed, tried that at 4600, 4500 and even 4000 and it still kicked an OC error.

SO, I gave up trying to tighten up the RAM and instead foraged forward with getting it to run at the highest stable speeds in Gear 1 with a mild Bus OC of 101.5, which the MB returned at 101.25.
Highest Stable Gear 1 Speeds on the ASUS Z790 Strix were reported around 4133 with Samsung B Die, IIRC. The timings were like CL14/15 tho. Even with CL19, and the lose timings (assuming I can maintain stability) this setup seems pretty good. Especially, since I only paid 139 Bucks for the RAM.​

Yeah, maybe a BIOS update will improve the compatibility with this RAM but so far I am pretty damn happy with the results. I have to do a bunch of stability testing yet, let ya all know what happens with that.

IF I have the time, I can bring over my Crucial Ballistix CL 15 3600 RAM and see what I can do with it. But I suspect I will have more issues as I will have to fully populate all 4 slots to get 32 Gigs. 2 Sticks seems to be the preferred / prime config for getting speed and stability. But I'm not trying to start a tech channel, so I may just be lazy, fat and happy with the Neo Forza timings. The end result has been spectacular thus far. I'm pretty happy with squeezing another 6% in ST and a serious MT boost out of my CPU. I never got anywhere near this level of OC on AMD. This thing just beats my old 5900X to death and makes the 7000 series look like clown shoes. Maybe not in all tasks, but for my use cases.... 25% Higher Single Thread Performance over AMD's top dog is no small feat on a node that's twice as large. Power draw is stupid, but we are enthusiasts... Do we care?

On a side note:
If AMD had led with their consumer 7000 Series parts and prices I would have fought through all my problems with the platform and been on it already. You can run em efficiently and cool or you can turn on PBO and run em within 1-4% of their X counterparts. What a missed opportunity I think for them. Could have punched em out with DDR4 boards on the B650 and A620 side of things and kept the DDR5 for X670 and not been a bitter upgrade path. Glad they finally got the affordable parts out there and that they are efficient and cool(er). But it's a bit too late for me, I already sold out to team Blue.

Last edited:
FYI
MY current OC is delivering the gains the 13900KS is seeing with something like DDR5 7400 RAM. I was looking at the Hardware Unboxed review they put up. I believe he stated that the 13900KS was 6% faster than the 13900K in single thread.

I'm currently right there, with much "slower" RAM at vastly lower clocks. All of it on a mid tier motherboard, with the same cooler they used (Arctic II 420), and a well ventilated 90 dollar Rosewill Rise case (highly recommend the case if you can find it). I used Arctic MX6 for my paste.

HW UBOX recommends DDR5. Which may be the future. However, doesn't look like that future is here yet.

Last edited:
FYI
MY current OC is delivering the gains the 13900KS is seeing with something like DDR5 7400 RAM. I was looking at the Hardware Unboxed review they put up. I believe he stated that the 13900KS was 6% faster than the 13900K in single thread.

I'm currently right there, with much "slower" RAM at vastly lower clocks. All of it on a mid tier motherboard, with the same cooler they used (Arctic II 420), and a well ventilated 90 dollar Rosewill Rise case (highly recommend the case if you can find it). I used Arctic MX6 for my paste.

HW UBOX recommends DDR5. Which may be the future. However, doesn't look like that future is here yet.
What is your single core score in Cinibench R23?

(what is your core overclock set at, again? And are you also overclocking the Cache?)

(what is your core overclock set at, again? And are you also overclocking the Cache?)
I will have to see what the Cinebench R23 breakdown is. Good call, I'm just spouting off after CPU-Z metrics. Lol

My OC is nothing special. I'm essentially Running Stock + Game Boost from MSI + 101.25 on the Bus clock and ram at 4365 ish.

My sustained core speeds are about 200 Mhz higher than what Hardware Unboxed was citing. Boost frequencies are just shy of 6 Ghz, around 5,975. Only maintained for a couple seconds at a time. I'm stuck at work for 2 more hours before I can even get home to play around with this stuff.

SO, I was spoutin' bullshit but not too much of it! LOL!

Multicore Score of 39,075 so the 13900KS is less than 5% faster than my current config using the DDR5 7400. Something like 4.7% Faster

Still working on the single thread benchmark

Honestly.... I didn't expect my system to score this high...

SO, I was spoutin' bullshit but not too much of it! LOL!

Multicore Score of 39,075 so the 13900KS is less than 5% faster than my current config using the DDR5 7400. Something like 4.7% Faster

Still working on the single thread benchmark

Honestly.... I didn't expect my system to score this high...
DDR5 makes VERY LITTLE difference in Cinibench. Is your sustained all core clock the same as Hardware Unboxed's 13900KS?

The 13900KS is just shy of 1% faster in single thread in Cinebench R23 with the DDR5 7400 Memory.

That's a nothing burger

I corrected some mistakes I made in the first test run and exited GOG, Steam and Epic Games Launchers.

Multicore Score after that is 40041 Clocks remained consistent between 5568 - 5670 Mhz; Intermittent dips to 5467 occasionally.

That puts the 13900KS 2.4% faster than my current config with the 7400 Mhz RAM
The 13900KS is 1.84% Faster than my current config
I pulled those figures directly from the hardware unboxed review

I am pretty fucking happy!

1673569802550.png

Yeah, do bench runs with nothing else running. Not even a temp monitor. You might get a couple hundred more points multicore.

Yeah, do bench runs with nothing else running. Not even a temp monitor. You might get a couple hundred more points multicore.
With Hardware monitor running and a couple background apps like Creative Labs and my trackball I got the above Multithreaded score and the Single Thread rose to 2281.

I can keep tinkering with my RAM clock speeds but... I gonna start running games to see if I can get my system to lock after running em for a while.

I'm about an hour in on a highly modded Battletech session. Been rock solid. It's fluid, fast and beautiful. Don't have a lot of time tonight but I am thinking I need to fire up Cyberpunk. Been avoiding it because it's a total time suck. Here we go...

I'm about an hour in on a highly modded Battletech session. Been rock solid. It's fluid, fast and beautiful. Don't have a lot of time tonight but I am thinking I need to fire up Cyberpunk. Been avoiding it because it's a total time suck. Here we go...
Raptor Lake loves Cyber Punk

Raptor Lake loves Cyber Punk
Played about an hour and a half of Cyberpunk. Haven't played it since release, much better experience. Everything on max or crazy levels and Ray Tracing at one step below max. Shit, I got motion sickness. I haven't gotten sick playing a game 30 years... It was so immersive i just lost track of time. Holy Shit! OC and RAM is stable, might play with higher clocks, maybe not. It's unreal how fluid gameplay was.

Back