What CPU cooler would you use for a mini-ITX + Skylake?

Prizm4

n00b
I'm looking at getting a Node 304 with a Skylake 6700k CPU. I'm just not sure what CPU cooler to put on it. I won't be overclocking. I was thinking of the Noctua NH-U9S. To be honest, I would just use the stock cooler if Intel had actually provided one. Although it'd be nice to keep it a bit cooler than stock.

What would you go for?

For your intended use nearly any sub-$30 cooler will do. Just look for one that fits in the node (height) that you like. if you want, look for reviews to get the most for your money :)

The node 304 actually fits quite large coolers. But I agree, without OC it's pretty pointless to drop money on any cooler.

There are some decent low profile coolers that will be fine for non overclocking and be a little better in coolness and noise over the stock cooler. If I was building a non overclocking rig that is what I would use for small mitx builds. Most after market coolers, of any size, is going to out perform Intel's stock cpu coolers. Go stock if you are just wanting to save money.

Thanks for the feedback. I can't find the Intel stock cooler locally at the moment, so I have to look into an alternative. My concern is that the 6700k is a 95w tdp, and Noctua for instance has a smaller cooler (NH-L9i) but they say it's not recommended for CPUs over 65w. I'm a bit confused over whether something like this would still be suitable.

EDIT: I just saw that the non-K 6700 is out now, and is rated at 65tdp anyway.

Last edited:
On the Node 304 product page it says that it supports 165mm tower coolers, so you could go with something bigger. Like, take the NH-L9i, it delivers decent performance (~70°C) but the 150mm Alpenföhn brocken eco gets you to ~55°C for a lower price

That Noctua NH-L9i is one example of a good low profile cooler that will out perform the Intel stock hsf. Like Intel suggests just make sure you dont put it onto a cpu that has a higher tdp than Intel recommends. In this case 65w.

Depends on the CPU TDP and ITX case type.
I think Noctua NH-L9i would be perfect for Lian Li PC-Q21 case with 65W i5 6600 or i7 6700.
But Noctua NH-D9L would be ideal for Raijintek Metis case with 91W i5 6600K or i7 6700K.

Back