what are you looking forward to the most with Ivy Bridge?

DejaWiz

Fully [H]
Well, as the title states.

For me, it's the lower TDP and clock-for-clock increase in overall performance over Sandy Bridge at pretty much the same price point.

If I were to buy it and I am not. It would the really low energy footprint at stock. This is great for me in that my office is a freaking HOT BOX during the summer and therefore I need it to be cooler.

Also I like the faster IGP for quicksyncifying my stuff.

A 35w IB processor to finally build for my living room PC.

Can you imagine, I was about to use a 2600k for my HTPC...

Now Intel just needs to release the damn thing and I can finally enjoy my movies/shows/light gaming in my living room!

The speed and power savings over my Q9550. It is time to upgrade. On the notebook front, something like the Thinkpad X220 with IPS, but with IB - the improved graphics should help some over the still-pretty-terrible HD3000 graphics. I'm not expecting much difference in idle runtimes at this point though.

Either going to replace a 2500k with a 3570k or a 3770k.

I'm hoping the new IB over clock better than SB and I'm hoping my total system over clocks better with lower TDP of IB.

I'm water cooling with 1 loop so hopefully the lower TDP will also lead to overall cooler loop temperatures.

Lower TDP should also help make the most of my 760W Seasonic PSU.

Not sure if I will get the 3770k. I'm leaning towards the 3770k just for higher scores in competitive bench marking. Will keep a close eye on all of the benchmarks and reviews to see which IB to get.

IB should be a fun upgrade. I've had fun with my 2500k and I am sure I will have fun with a new IB.

Last edited:
I just want new toys to play with. I got bored of my 2600k and FX 8120 pretty fast. I want to see how well it does with a 680 GTX.

it being faster than my q6600.

i'm also somewhat amused by the fact that with my next upgrade, my machine might consume less power than what i have now while being considerably faster.

Less power (nearly half my Q9550), about the same price as Sandy Bridge, a slight boost in performance (5-10% CPU) over SB and a much better graphics part for those that want it, what's not to love?

I mean, it isn't anything mind blowing besides that, but if you don't own a SB or Nehalem generation CPU it's more than enough to push people over the edge when upgrading. Haswell will probably rock the socks off compared to IB, but I really think at this point how strong Haswell performs will be based off what how well AMD's next generation performs. Right now Intel doesn't need to try that hard and nor should it want to leap ahead of the competition in the consumer market that they pretty much own.

Less power (nearly half my Q9550), about the same price as Sandy Bridge, a slight boost in performance (5-10% CPU) over SB and a much better graphics part for those that want it, what's not to love?

I mean, it isn't anything mind blowing besides that, but if you don't own a SB or Nehalem generation CPU it's more than enough to push people over the edge when upgrading. Haswell will probably rock the socks off compared to IB, but I really think at this point how strong Haswell performs will be based off what how well AMD's next generation performs. Right now Intel doesn't need to try that hard and nor should it want to leap ahead of the competition in the consumer market that they pretty much own.

I highly doubt Intel will gimp their CPU based off how AMD performs. Delay launch? Maybe, but not gimp it.

I have space for 1x120 and 1x240 rads, but my x58 system puts out too much heat for it to be feasible. IB will let me watercool and quiet down my noisy rig, whilst keeping my case.

I am still thinking about waiting for Haswell as it's really the next logical upgrade point for my i7 920 D0 (@ 4.0), but I am really tempted and looking into building a nice ITX rig with an IB 3570K or whatever the i5 equivalent is called to replace our family PC's aging 8 year-old P4. Don't get me started on how disappointed I was with the Z68 ITX board selection on that front -- I suppose I am a motherboard snob as I don't trust or like Zotac/Asrock/Giada hehe.

Every day we get closer to Ivy Bridge release also means one day closer to Haswell's eventual release next year. That's what I'm looking forward to.

From what I've read so far it seems like Sandy Bridge might still be better if you're using Air or Water cooling.

Not sure if the retail CPUs will be different the ES ones, but I saw a graph with an Ivy Bridge 3770K overclocked to 4.8Ghz and the temps were 97 degrees celsius where as the 2600K was at 5.2Ghz and at about 75 degrees.

I've heard from a few people that have said Ivy Bridge is a great clocker if you're using extreme cooling and keeping it -100 or colder, but for AIr/Water Sandy Bridge might still be better option OC wise.

Not buying it...

I think it will be a big disappointment to people expecting some godlike CPU since it is just a modest improvement over SB.

Hopefully upgrading my QX6850 to an Ivy Bridge (ULV quad if I can get my hands on one and a desktop mobo to work with it!).

I want lowest power draw idle I can get my hands on, while maintaining a decent performance when needed.

My current MBP processor is plenty fast, and I don't really see a need of "faster". I would be perfectly happy with "as fast, but cooler and quieter".

Ivy Bridge being a die shrink has a very good chance of pulling that off.

- Slightly better "average performance per megahertz" than Sandy Bridge
- 22nm transistors which hopefully means a slight improvement in overclocking to hopefully reach 5Ghz or more with high-end air cooling

I'm not expecting it to be MUCH better than sandy bridge, I just hope it to be a nice step forward in tems of both speed and overclockability :)

For me I am looking forward to a new Ultrabook laptop with better video and battery performance.

IB is coming out just at the perfect time for me. I'm currently sitting on a nice pile of cash just when my Q6600 is ready to hit the retirement home.

I've decided to wait for Haswell as well. (haha, that rhymes:))

However, I will be upgrading my 4890 to a GTX 680 this summer.

Desktop (replacing Q6700):
- Significantly more horsepower while producing less heat and using less energy than my Q6700
- Being able to overclock and use power saving features at the same time (versus 24/7 OC like I have been for 5 years now)
- Being able to use PWM case and CPU fans with Asus FanXpert2 so that I can have silent desktop noise and moderate gaming/load noise

Notebook (replacing POS 7 pound Dell C2D P8600 from 2007):
- Having a Macbook with acceptable iGPU and awesome long battery life that weighs nothing and is truly portable :).

Granted, IB will be nice for the lower TDP and support for PCI-E 3.0, but what I'm most looking forward to with IB launching is SB finally dropping in price. ;)

Granted, IB will be nice for the lower TDP and support for PCI-E 3.0, but what I'm most looking forward to with IB launching is SB finally dropping in price. ;)

No, it won't drop the prices of SB. intel has not, for a very long time, dropped the prices of old CPU's when the new models arrive to market.

May have an impact on pricing in the used market, but not for new processors.

with the way things are, I see no reason to get off my Q6600 and windows 7 for a long time.

coming from an i5 760, I'm looking forward to testing out hyperthreading for some video encoding stuff. Also curious to see if the 77w TDP rating is noticeable.

Not buying it...

I think it will be a big disappointment to people expecting some godlike CPU since it is just a modest improvement over SB.

You are right, but many people are using C2Qs still. ;)

- Slightly better "average performance per megahertz" than Sandy Bridge
- 22nm transistors which hopefully means a slight improvement in overclocking to hopefully reach 5Ghz or more with high-end air cooling

I'm not expecting it to be MUCH better than sandy bridge, I just hope it to be a nice step forward in tems of both speed and overclockability :)

From the extreme benchers that already have it I've read that they are saying it won't be a better overclocker than Sandy Bridge on AIr/Water. They are saying it runs hotter than Sandy Bridge and needs extreme cooling if you want to clock it. Overall it's a better clocker, but not on Air/Water.

I'm not sure if these guys are using engineering samples, but even if they are there's no guarantee the retail sample will be much different. Hopefully the retails are better for Air/Water use.

Really sounds disappointing to me if you're using Air like me. The only reason I might still get it is for PCIe 3.0.

I'm hoping it shuts up the PCI 3.0 haters, the DDR3 1600 MHz is to much overkill h8ers, the USB 3.0 is not needed haters...the SB is enough, or 4 cores is enough h8ers....I could go on ;) but I won't just shut them up soon IB.

I'm hoping it shuts up the PCI 3.0 haters, the DDR3 1600 MHz is to much overkill h8ers, the USB 3.0 is not needed haters...the SB is enough, or 4 cores is enough h8ers....I could go on ;) but I won't just shut them up soon IB.

Which Z77 board and IB are you planning to get?

I'm curious to see if 1600 or higher memory actually makes a noticeable impact with IB like some of the rumors going around are hinting at, unlike SB. Especially now that 1600 memory pricing is nipping at the heels of 1333 pricing.

Sooo glad there's finally native USB 3.0 with Z77. Should have been done with the H/Z 6 series.

Hopefully we're not too far off from GPU's that can start utilizing the added bandwidth of PCI-E 3.0 with a single card solution. The newer cards in SLI/XFIRE are just dipping into the realm.

As for 4 cores, well, that's likely all we're going to get out of Intel with IB, just like SB.

Last edited:
Tri-gate Transistors (which I won't be able to see =) and no need for aftermarket cooler not going to overclock because I'm a wuss. Very curious on what the best motherboard will be just want something that won't start on fire or have a bad memory slot.

Buying it...

lol... mostly this.

But, I am mainly looking forward to the power consumption improvements for laptop battery life. Otherwise, I never use a laptop without a discreet GPU, so I don't care as much about onboard gfx improvements.

Does anyone know if this will encode video any faster than the 6502 Processor that I have in my Apple IIe, or should I wait for Skylake?

lol... mostly this.

But, I am mainly looking forward to the power consumption improvements for laptop battery life. Otherwise, I never use a laptop without a discreet GPU, so I don't care as much about onboard gfx improvements.

That seems to be the case. If anyone was looking for awesome OCing or a performance gain at all from an overclocked SB you may want to wait until Haswell. The chips are popping up into people's hands already and the forums have lit up with benchmarks and OC figures and it doesn't look all that good :/

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2237805

Seems like the rumors were right and that it won't OC as well as SB due to the small die size and the very high heat.

If you're looking for a laptop chip then this thing should be great. If you were hoping to replace your 2500K or 2600K then you'll probably be disappointed :(

I take back my previous statement after seeing Asus new Z77 ITX board, I may pick that up and a 3770k. It would be nice to downsize even more.

Back