what are you looking forward to the most with Ivy Bridge?

No, it won't drop the prices of SB. intel has not, for a very long time, dropped the prices of old CPU's when the new models arrive to market.

May have an impact on pricing in the used market, but not for new processors.

Sorry, that is exactly what I meant; I've been hanging out on the For Sale/Trade board too much lately.

I agree...Intel will just EOL them, so the official price won't drop at all. At least in this case they're using the same socket!

Last edited:
Intel's failure to discount older stuff is why I never upgraded the Core 2 Duo in my existing system. And probably won't upgrade my next system either. By the time I feel the need, it will make more sense to just build a new system.

77W TDP and PCIe 3.0 in a mITX form factor with native SATA3 and USB3.

an i5 3470 at 3.2GHz in a silverstone FT03 mini alongside a 7870 will make an awesome SFF pc!

i dont OC anymore since everything is so GPU bound these days... hell even a c2d is enough for 99% of people out there.. the biggest things for me know is mostly power efficiency

i dont OC anymore since everything is so GPU bound these days... hell even a c2d is enough for 99% of people out there.. the biggest things for me know is mostly power efficiency

I have a C2Q and i'm CPU bound in most of my games. Being GPU bound hasn't been an issue in most games at 1080p and below for many years even on mid-range cards, much less higher end ones.

i plan on buying one if they turn out to be overclocking monsters like SB... if theyre gimped like all the 'engineering samples' claim then I might get a SB

i plan on buying one if they turn out to be overclocking monsters like SB... if theyre gimped like all the 'engineering samples' claim then I might get a SB

If you're using extreme cooling and keeping them well under sub zero they are overclocking monsters from what I've read.

I read today 1.35V-1.37V to hit 4.9-5.0Ghz, but that voltage may be too much on 22nm (may cause degradation running that 24/7 on 22nm) and it also runs hot.

4.5-4.8Ghz is what I'm hearing for a realistic overclock on Air/Water.

I'm not sure what I want to do if it turns out like that. I've upgraded my internet/encoding box a couple of months ago to Z68 and a 2600K CPU, but I also wanted to upgrade my X58 rig with Ivy Bridge, not sure if I will bother anymore. I may look at an X79 rig instead.

Edit : Just read that info is for stepping 9, apparently retail stepping is worse. Wow, if that info is correct, Ivy Bridge is a bit disappointing for me.

Last edited:
Well, shit. 95W TDP is now the rumored classification of IB. Oh yay. :rolleyes:

The fact that I own an IB is enough to make me jump for joy like a kid receiving his/her Happy Birthday gift!

I'm looking forward to better Sandy prices, Ivy looks disappointing on that revision.

Back