What are the best 140mm static pressure fans at the moment?

Bankie

2[H]4U
Just trying to get some ideas for replacements for the NZXT fans on my 280mm radiator. The NZXT fans cool well enough but are a bit loud at times and it seems like Noctua fans of the 140mm variety aren't as amazing as their 120mm line. If there are RGB options that would be a plus but not a requirement.

What are you guys using?

Did anyone ever make a radiator fan better than the GT's? I've been using the AP-15's for decades.

I've been using rosewill hyperborea (akasa rebrand). They are not quiet at full speed, and they don't move lots of air when throttled down, but they aren't bad for the price.

I use some EK Vardars, they make 140mm versions and an rgb version, if you're in to that. You're going to want to control their curve, just like any fan.

Best Bang for Buck: Artic P14
Best Performing: Noctua NF A14 Ippc 3k

Honorable mentions: Thermaltake Toughfan 14, Be Quiet Silent Wings III HS, EK Furious Vardar, Noiseblocker B14 eLoop. These are non RGB.

Last edited:
they do sell rgb versions of their aios...
you could put some TT pure 14s on it it you want quieter, slower and blingy.
as stated best bang for buck and some of the stronger SP fans are the P14 pwm pst fans.
what exact model is it? the charts im looking at all have 70+ cfm so there are only a few fans that can beat that for SP...
Static Pressure is measured in mm H20, not CFM. I always consider CFM for chassis based applications.

Last edited:
Thermalright TL-C14 and Be Quiet SW3 HS are good 140mm fans for rads. The Phanteks 140MP is good too but all of the ones I have wobble and are kinda loud at higher rpm, the Arctic P14 is nice as well.

It's important to note for the NF-A14 fans that the NF-A14 Industrial PPC-3000 fans are the best performing (by a lot) and that the normal NF-A14 fans are about the same as other 140mm fans.
Also note the Industrial fans are Loud As Fuck and move a ton of air regardless of what's in front of or in back of them.

Like mentioned before. Noctua NF A14 I have 4 of them. Not the prettiest but functional.

Did anyone ever make a radiator fan better than the GT's? I've been using the AP-15's for decades.
Yeah. GTs are still good, but there are better options out there.
Best Bang for Buck: Artic P14
Best Performing: Noctua NF A14

Honorable mentions: Thermaltake Toughfan 14, Be Quiet Silent Wings III HS, EK Furious Vardar, Noiseblocker B14 eLoop. These are non RGB.
Note that the NF-A14 is NOT the same design as the NF-A12x25 and the NF-A14 isn't actually all that good.

you can convert it and some do and list it. most people dont know how to compare mmh2o.
edit:
View attachment 439497

CFM does not really correlate to mmH2O. It's like trying to compare horsepower and torque. A fan designed for maximum static pressure will have a lower max CFM at the same RPM as compared to a fan designed for maximum CFM.

Bgears B-blaster fans are one of the few dual ball bearing 140mm fans on the market.

Just trying to get some ideas for replacements for the NZXT fans on my 280mm radiator. The NZXT fans cool well enough but are a bit loud at times and it seems like Noctua fans of the 140mm variety aren't as amazing as their 120mm line. If there are RGB options that would be a plus but not a requirement.

What are you guys using?
I recommend be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm PWM High-Speed, BL071

Their quality is unmatched. And their sound signature is the most pleasant. I've also never heard one with weird motor sounds. Whereas Noctua's are a lottery on what the motor sounds like. And even the good ones still don't sound as nice as my Be Quiets.

You can also save a bunch of money with the be quiet! Pure Wings 2 140mm PWM high-Speed, BL083. They are louder at higher speeds. but, still the same pleasant motor and sound profile.

If you want RGB --- Corsair's ML fans are usually pretty competitive on cooling, when noise normalized to reasonable noise levels.

This is their newest fan revision, which is supposed to have performance and noise improvements:
https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Magnetic-Levitation-AirGuide-Single/dp/B09HF4JHSM/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3UPQQ5I8USY43&keywords=corsair+ml140+rgb&qid=1644022611&sprefix=corsair+ml140+rgb,aps,116&sr=8-8

here's the older version. Still good and a little lower cost:
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Magnetic-Levitation-Lighting-CO-9050078-WW/dp/B076VLCCPY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=A1NQY4YV6SER&keywords=corsair+ml+rgb+140&qid=1644022689&sprefix=corsair+ml+rgb+140,aps,103&sr=8-1

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah. GTs are still good, but there are better options out there.

Note that the NF-A14 is NOT the same design as the NF-A12x25 and the NF-A14 isn't actually all that good.

I'm aware they aren't the same design. I also meant to say NF A14 (ippc 3k) not the regular 2k rpm variant(fixed my post). I like larger rads so I stick to 140mm type rads. While the 7.63 mm H₂O is what you get from the NF F12 120mm variants, I'm sure the the slightly less 6.58 mm H₂O you get with the NF A14 ippc can be made up with more surface area to cool. Performance wise I still think they are the best for 140mm. Now if you are noise conscious/sensitive then I would agree with your recommendation.

Funny thing is that a high static pressure fan can perform worse than a low static pressure fan due to the way the pressure/flow curves work. If you have a low restriction radiator, you'll be in the high flow/low static pressure area of the fan curve where a high airflow optimized fan may perform better. I think this would only really be applicable to traditional heatpipe heatsinks and thin low FPI radiators.

It's an engineering science that unfortunately too little studies have been made. Martin's Liquid Lab used to do some very good research... too bad there's nothing like that nowadays.

you can convert it and some do and list it. most people dont know how to compare mmh2o.
edit:
View attachment 439497
No, you cannot convert a measurement of volume to a measurement of pressure. They are two completely different things.
What CaptainClueless said.

No way to convert volume of moving air into maximum amount of pressure fan at full speed creates in a sealed container measured in mm column of water at point air stops flowing. They are two totally different things. If you still think you are correct, please post data showing how it is done and links to source of same. ;)

We see some really strange things being said on forums as if they were true. Saying you can convert airflow into static pressure has to be one of the strangest.

i guess all the convertors and calculators i see online are for something else then but go ahead and give yourselves pats on the backs for something a week old...
Please post links to a couple of "all the convertors and calculators i see online" so we can use them.

Not posting links to support your claim we will considered as proof you cannot back up your claim and have been making false statements. ;)

Talk about a sour loser.
Makes obviously false claims.
And when told they are false makes more false claims.
Then when asked for proof makes more false claims saying you said "you win" .. but only post of "you win" is you again making a false claim that you had said it.
Compounded by cursing those who are posting facts instead of false fabrications and calling us 'retarted'.
Are you really that kind of person???
I always though you were better than that.

my reaction is based on shitty unneed post like this one. fuck off troll
So simply correcting a misunderstanding isn't something to get upset about. No one is being a troll. Put your pride aside and just learn is all. Your reaction to simply being corrected is ridiculous. If I'm ever wrong I prefer for someone to correct me than to not and continue to be ignorant. Breath, calm down, we are talking fans. It's all good. No need to get irate over this.

I ended up picking up a couple Arctic Cooling P12s at MC a month or so ago. When I got them home I noticed that they weren't the PWM versions but went ahead and tried them anyway. They blew massive amounts of air through the radiator but had an oscillating hum that was way too annoying for a system that sits on the desk. A few days ago I decided to jump on the DeepCool CF140 RGB fans. They're not near as powerful but they're cheap ($35 for 2), quiet, look pretty good (RGB controllable by the motherboard and includes a 4 or 5 port RGB hub), and still seem to push enough air through the radiator to cool well enough.

When I needed 140mm radiator fans I went with the massive 38mm thick ones that Silverstone makes.

*Edit* FHP-141s were I was was thinking about.

Last edited:
When I needed 140mm radiator fans I went with the massive 38mm thick ones that Silverstone makes.

*Edit* FHP-141s were I was was thinking about.
I'm running an ITX Meshiliicous case; those look awesome but would be way too thick (there's maybe 4 mm to spare between the motherboard tray and 25mm fans.

I decided to go 360mm and 2 Phanteks T30
I read a lot of good things about the T30 but no 140mm version unfortunately.

Reactions: pavel
like this
I'm running an ITX Meshiliicous case; those look awesome but would be way too thick (there's maybe 4 mm to spare between the motherboard tray and 25mm fans.

I read a lot of good things about the T30 but no 140mm version unfortunately.
Ah fair enough. Well I guess in case anyone else is looking for some high power 140s, there's my hat in the ring lol.

I ended up picking up a couple Arctic Cooling P12s at MC a month or so ago. When I got them home I noticed that they weren't the PWM versions but went ahead and tried them anyway. They blew massive amounts of air through the radiator but had an oscillating hum that was way too annoying for a system that sits on the desk. A few days ago I decided to jump on the DeepCool CF140 RGB fans. They're not near as powerful but they're cheap ($35 for 2), quiet, look pretty good (RGB controllable by the motherboard and includes a 4 or 5 port RGB hub), and still seem to push enough air through the radiator to cool well enough.

The Arctic fans should be PST PWM versions - to get the most out of the fans - for quiet operation. Also, reviewers found that below and above a certain rpm - they are the most quiet and rival the most quiet noctuas/be quiets. So, you would want to try them around 850rpms (max.) or if you need more speed for some reason - run them over 1000 rpms. For some reason, at around 1000 rpms - they make that annoying motor noise. Otherwise, they are pretty quiet - or at least, have that rep.

The Arctic fans should be PST PWM versions - to get the most out of the fans - for quiet operation. Also, reviewers found that below and above a certain rpm - they are the most quiet and rival the most quiet noctuas/be quiets. So, you would want to try them around 850rpms (max.) or if you need more speed for some reason - run them over 1000 rpms. For some reason, at around 1000 rpms - they make that annoying motor noise. Otherwise, they are pretty quiet - or at least, have that rep.
Yeah, I'm sure the PWM version would work fine and almost went with them. For the non-PWM P14s I could have tried the speed reducer dongles in the bag of leftover Noctua accessories I have but decided I wanted to try some RGB fans anyway. I'm pleasantly surprised with how quiet the Deepcool fans are; they are much much quieter than the stock NZXT AER fans that came on the X63.

Yeah, I'm sure the PWM version would work fine and almost went with them. For the non-PWM P14s I could have tried the speed reducer dongles in the bag of leftover Noctua accessories I have but decided I wanted to try some RGB fans anyway. I'm pleasantly surprised with how quiet the Deepcool fans are; they are much much quieter than the stock NZXT AER fans that came on the X63.
Are RGB/ARGB fans just as quiet as the non-argb versions? I am trying to find tests/comparisons to no avail. I am wondering if the Arctic P12s/P14s that are argb versions - are as good as the non argb versions (ditto, for Corsairs, whatever other brands). I think so - but, nothing to confirm.

Are RGB/ARGB fans just as quiet as the non-argb versions? I am trying to find tests/comparisons to no avail. I am wondering if the Arctic P12s/P14s that are argb versions - are as good as the non argb versions (ditto, for Corsairs, whatever other brands). I think so - but, nothing to confirm.
I don't have enough experience with them to say for sure but most of the RGB fans appear to have 200-500 less Max RPM than the non-RGB versions of the same fans so I would assume they would be quieter or about the same at the expense of some cooling performance.

Last edited:
I don't have enough experience with them to say for sure but most of the RGB fans appear to have 200-500 less Max RPM than the non-RGB versions of the same fans so I would assume they would be quieter or about the same at the expense of some cooling performance.
Interesting theory. :)
Could be right! I just watched a youtube video and the reviewer compares rgb P14s with regular P14s - the cooling was better and they were quieter. I only found one such video though. I don't really care about rgb - but, I am interested in the 3-pack now of argb P14s - the problem is A) they are as expensive as the regular 5-pack and B) I don't know how I would hook all the fans up - especially if you have a mix. If you use a fan hub/controller - do you need one that includes argb plug-ins/sockets?

Interesting theory. :)
Could be right! I just watched a youtube video and the reviewer compares rgb P14s with regular P14s - the cooling was better and they were quieter. I only found one such video though. I don't really care about rgb - but, I am interested in the 3-pack now of argb P14s - the problem is A) they are as expensive as the regular 5-pack and B) I don't know how I would hook all the fans up - especially if you have a mix. If you use a fan hub/controller - do you need one that includes argb plug-ins/sockets?
As long as they have a generic ARGB connector, hubs for that are a dime a dozen that then connect to a 5v argb header on your mobo...if it has one.

As long as they have a generic ARGB connector, hubs for that are a dime a dozen that then connect to a 5v argb header on your mobo...if it has one.
This. The Deepcool fans I bought came with one such hub. It was something I was worried about; I'm tired of needing a different application to control every RGB device. I ended up picking up a RGB strip to mount inside the case and it hooked right up to the hub.

This. The Deepcool fans I bought came with one such hub. It was something I was worried about; I'm tired of needing a different application to control every RGB device. I ended up picking up a RGB strip to mount inside the case and it hooked right up to the hub.
Thankfully most are like that. A few companies like to use proprietary connectors for....reasons. Gotta watch out for that.

+1 for Arctic P14. Not sure if they're still at the top, but many years ago I bought them for best $/performance and they're as quiet as they were on day 1

The best 140mm static pressure fans right now are the BGears BBlaster 140mmx38mm fans. At 31.08 mmH20 and 308cfm at 5200rpm they really have no competition.

I am putting together a Ryzen 5950x system with a 420mm radiator and will have these in a push/pull setup.

The downside is the noise and the amount of power they pull at full speed though I will not be running them at full speed except for maybe some testing.

I have to have 2 PWM fan hubs because they are rated for max 10A total per hub.
PXL_20220517_044508219.jpg
PXL_20220508_234238446.jpg

Last edited:
Another vote for Arctic here. Specifically the Bionix P140 or P120 depending on your setup.

Back