What are some good cheap around 85" TVs?

Nebell

2[H]4U
Update:
I overconsume, am materialistic and love gadgets. So, "cheap TV" turned into a 85" Samsung QN85A for the living room as well as 65" LG B1 OLED for the bedroom. And a couple of LG SN11RG soundbars...

I've been thinking about ditching my projector and getting a large TV and mounting it on the wall.

I found a great price on Samsung QLED QE85Q60T and I'm curious if it's any good and worth getting?
The price is about €1700.

I don't watch TV a lot so I have no big demands since my current projector is like 10 years old and 1080p lol.
I would like to move my current 55" from the living room to the bedroom since it's never used and want something as big as possible without breaking the bank.

I can stretch my budget a bit if the alternative is maybe 10-20% more expensive but waaaay better.
Any suggestions?

Edit:
I plan to get PS5 eventually so a good compatibility for gaming is a bonus.

Last edited:
The Samsung and LG offerings at those sizes are both excellent. If you're not in a hurry though, I'd suggest waiting a few months. The current gen TVs have been out about 8 months now and the next generation will be announced late this year or early next. Likely worth waiting to see if the newest generation has something you want, or to take advantage of price drops on the current generation. If you live in the US, there are also likely to be sales for Black Friday at the end of November.

I've been thinking about ditching my projector and getting a large TV and mounting it on the wall.

I found a great price on Samsung QLED QE85Q60T and I'm curious if it's any good and worth getting?
The price is about €1700.

I don't watch TV a lot so I have no big demands since my current projector is like 10 years old and 1080p lol.
I would like to move my current 55" from the living room to the bedroom since it's never used and want something as big as possible without breaking the bank.

I can stretch my budget a bit if the alternative is maybe 10-20% more expensive but waaaay better.
Any suggestions?
Check rtings.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best

Is there a reason you want size over quality? Unless you sit really far from the TV. I would take higher quality over size. The Q60T is decent but a bit weak when it comes to HDR contents. I would take a Q80T 75" over the 85" Q60T any day

Last edited:
Check rtings.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best

Is there a reason you want size over quality? Unless you sit really far from the TV. I would take higher quality over size. The Q60T is decent but a bit weak when it comes to HDR contents. I would take a Q80T 75" over the 85" Q60T any day

I'm used to some 130" projector screen, but since it's very old and only 1080p, I figured that the largest size TV will still be a huge improvement picture quality wise. I do not have high demands on top of that.

I will compare Q70 and Q60 and see if there's any significant difference between the two that warrants €400 premium in Q70.

The Samsung and LG offerings at those sizes are both excellent. If you're not in a hurry though, I'd suggest waiting a few months. The current gen TVs have been out about 8 months now and the next generation will be announced late this year or early next. Likely worth waiting to see if the newest generation has something you want, or to take advantage of price drops on the current generation. If you live in the US, there are also likely to be sales for Black Friday at the end of November.

I don't live in the US (I'm from Sweden), but we do have Black Fridays here. I think Black Friday has spread to the whole world, haha.
Great suggestion. I'm not in a hurry and I might wait until Black Friday, but I won't be waiting until early next year, it's a bit too long to wait :)

Oh and I updated my first post. I do plan to connect PS5 when I get my hands on it 😏

What is your distance to the screen OP?

About 3 meters, which is about 10feet for you imperials :p

I just saw Samsung The Frame.
It looks really nice and bright, except a bit higher price (that is ok) and poor viewing angles.
I can't seem to find 85" though, only 75".

I would keep an eye out for the LG CX OLED tvs over there they are in total clearance mode over here because of the c1 realest. The 77 in is for example $2200 refurb at microcenter with open box ones at bestbuy at similar and even sam's. Way better IMHO if you can score in price range for conversion rate.

About 3 meters, which is about 10feet for you imperials :p

I just saw Samsung The Frame.
It looks really nice and bright, except a bit higher price (that is ok) and poor viewing angles.
I can't seem to find 85" though, only 75".

I think both 75" & 85" will work well at that distance. While a Q60t will be a good improvement over any older projection TV. The Q80T have much better HDR performance for watching new contents.

I think both 75" & 85" will work well at that distance. While a Q60t will be a good improvement over any older projection TV. The Q80T have much better HDR performance for watching new contents.

Q80A at 85" is way out of my budget, unless the Black Friday deal is very good.
For some reason Q80A at 75" is half the price of 85".

I'm at about the same distance and this is what a 75" look like within my glasses frame. can probably fit an 85" into the same space but really don't see the need.

IMG_9626.JPG

IMG_9665.JPG

IMG_9668.JPG

According to rtings, I should go for 71" since I'm almost exactly 3m away from the TV.
But I also sit about 0.6m from my screen which is 43" and rtings is recommending 14"... I'm not sure we agree there :D
I think even 85" would be too small for me, but it's when people show up. I might go for 85" Q70A and nab it when the price goes down on BF.

Anyway back to this thread.

I've decided to get LG B1 65" for the bedroom, and still thinking about the living room TV.
I like Sony X950H but it doesn't support HDMI 2.1, while X900H does but it's not as bright in HDR and not as color accurate.
On the other side, 4k@120hz is most likely not happening on PS5 newer games. Meanwhile X950H is some €400 more expensive.
Samsung Q80T is non existent in Sweden. Q80A is very expensive but also worse than Q80T according to rtings (no local dimming).

Decisins, decisions...

I was in the store looking at Sony X900H and Samsung QN85A and uh, I ended up buying 85" QN85A. X900H was not bad by any means, I was actually quite impressed, but QN85A is playing in another league.

Reactions: Wiz33
like this
I scored an open box QN85Q80T from my local BB for $1,800. It is flawless except for some minor scratches on the pedestal which won't matter since I'm wall mounting it.

Very impressive with the picture after getting it dialed in. Blows away the LG 84UB9800 that it is replacing. That was a $15k TV back in 2015 when I got it. Amazing how much technology has improved since then, and how much lower prices have gotten.

The LG will be delegated to the kids play room. Challenge is how to get that 200 lbs monster off the wall so that I can hang the Q80T in its place, lol.

IMG_2804.JPG

Wife was able to (barely) help me get the base on the Q80T and lifted up on the credenza, but getting the LG off the wall, not so much.

That's a nice price!

I paid €3500 for my 85" QN85A, which is still €1000 less than what the other sellers sell it for. Not sure why, but it's brand new and the seller is reputable, so I'm not worried.
I was also drooling over Q900A (not even the top model) at the store, lol. But that TV is waaaaaay too expensive for us mortal people (85" is at €10.000). I wouldn't have bought Q85A if I didn't find it so much cheaper than the other sellers.
But Q900A, that tv is absolutely gorgeous!

I scored an open box QN85Q80T from my local BB for $1,800. It is flawless except for some minor scratches on the pedestal which won't matter since I'm wall mounting it.

Very impressive with the picture after getting it dialed in. Blows away the LG 84UB9800 that it is replacing. That was a $15k TV back in 2015 when I got it. Amazing how much technology has improved since then, and how much lower prices have gotten.

The LG will be delegated to the kids play room. Challenge is how to get that 200 lbs monster off the wall so that I can hang the Q80T in its place, lol.

View attachment 400738

Wife was able to (barely) help me get the base on the Q80T and lifted up on the credenza, but getting the LG off the wall, not so much.

Where did you get the media center thing below the TV? Or is that custom built? I've been looking for something almost exactly like that and can't find anything short enough.

That was custom build. 3/4" plywood then laminated.

credenzaconst1.jpg

credenzaconst2.jpg

When I got the LG 84" back in 2015, I took the feet off the credenza and used the stand that came with the LG so that my eyes when sitting would be at the exact vertical center of the screen. The width is just about perfect for accommodating a 85" TV on a stand, as long as it doesn't have clown legs that makes it even wider. I since became less anal about it and mounted it on the wall which brought raised it up a bit.

LG-02.JPG

I build it way back when the PS3 first came out, so that dictated the height I went with.

Another shot:

sunroom22.JPG

It has held up well over the years. Started out with a 65" Panny plasma on the wall back in 2007, then graduated to the LG 84" in 2015 and now the Sammy 85".

The room is certainly not ideal with all the windows for daytime viewing, but I generally only watch it at night. For critical movie watching, I have a HT in the basement.

Last edited:
Back