what alternative do we have to watch CNBC, CNN via internet box instead of satellite?

I'm new w/ roku. I don't know what sort of application I need to run. I just need this box to subscribe to provide such as Hulu. I shall be going w/ just 1 provider. WHat sort of application would an average person needs

Just a heads up with the Roku and Roku TV devices: most (all?) of them only have a 10/100 ethernet port. The 100Mbit link caused issues for me on the WAN path due to flow control. Not a huge deal to fix (disable ethernet flow control), but it wasn't fun to diagnose.

More memory usually means less loading when switching between apps. It does make a difference if you switch apps regularly, nothing to worry about if you don't. Didn't see that difference when doing my research.

Curious what my TV has inside of it. Can't find any info on the actual Roku device, but I'd guess it's an ultra.
The TV has 1GB Ethernet and WiFi AC.

The Roku interface is fine and easy to use, simpler and better than Fire TV and simpler, but with far less options than Android/Google TV.

I have never seen an apple TV nor do I care.

so Roku people: can you run a Open VPN on your roku box? from services such as Private Internet Access

Can't run one exclusively to itself I would imagine, but it should work if your entire network goes through a VPN at the router level. I have 2 rokus, 2 Chromecasts, an Nvidia shield and 9 google homes (along with everything else, usually roughly 40 devices total) behind a Pi-hole on my router.

for people who only need 1 VPN on a router, connect to a Roku on 1 TV, and I don't even need wireless as my Roku ultra 4800 has ethernet port , what router should I buy that is fast enough for the Roku 4800. I like to stick w/ asus or Linksys if possible

this guy is doing a tutorial on VPN but at the bottom, he's selling router w/ VPN Setup. Now, the question, how do we know his ones are fast enough for roku 4800 ultra?

what are the criteria of a router on a single roku 4800 ultra? with nothing else in the house

Last edited:
Best processor is what's going to keep things from getting throttled. Asus usually has the VPN client built into their firmware, Linksys you're likely going to need to flash dd-wrt or another flavor of firmware.

I have the old flagship Asus RT-5300 with Merlin-WRT as my main router and then I'm also using an Asus RT-68 as an AImesh node.

If none of that makes sense to you, don't worry about it.

I probably wouldn't buy a new router without Wifi-6 personally, even if none of your devices support it yet, they will in the near future.

That's an old router, doesn't look like it'll support more than 50/50 VPN connection. Even if you don't need wifi6, buy something new because it'll have much better hardware inside.

The RT-66u is definitely more than 3 years old. I've had one for at least 6 or 7. I upgraded it many years ago because it wasn't keeping up.

Looked it up, it launched in 2012.

Nothing is going to give you 100% VPN speed, there's just the overhead factor of running through a VPN and what bandwidth it can actually provide. Just buy the best modern router (wifi6) you can afford that supports a VPN client and you should be fine.

update: install the new Asus Rt-66u-B1

download speed gain from 1.4MB/s to 2.1 MB/s

I guess my old router is really too old, I wonder if my ISP always gives me 2.1MB/s all these years, and somehow my old router can't handle it

the only odd thing is, on my startup, I default to load up facebook and yahoo.com via firefox, and when firefox loads up, it didn't detect the new router. So I get a "server not found", and have to clickt the re-load button. I wonder why

update: install the new Asus Rt-66u-B1

download speed gain from 1.4MB/s to 2.1 MB/s

I guess my old router is really too old, I wonder if my ISP always gives me 2.1MB/s all these years, and somehow my old router can't handle it

the only odd thing is, on my startup, I default to load up facebook and yahoo.com via firefox, and when firefox loads up, it didn't detect the new router. So I get a "server not found", and have to clickt the re-load button. I wonder why
That's just based on DNS and caches. It'll go away in a few days.

The server not found error.

Higher speed should stay unless you have something else congesting your network. 2.1MB still seems crazy slow to me (I'm sitting at 1Gb) but you gotta do what you gotta do.

for household, there is no 1 GB / sec until you pay good money. How much is 1 gB service / mth.

We also have to pay for unlimited internet (annoying as hell) but the total cost works out to $120 a month

I still can't figure out why my download speed jump to 2.1MB/s just by switching to a new router

I still can't figure out why my download speed jump to 2.1MB/s just by switching to a new router
Cause the old one was a bottleneck. Happens all the time.
The router AC numbers aren't the only component that matters, the internal hardware can also be a huge bottleneck.

If you're connected via wireless the potential list of variables that a new router handles better is too long to list.

Just position within the house and antennae could change the speed.

Back