What 4k monitor to get for content creation and some gaming.

Kirika

Gawd
Finally got my 3090 from EVGA queue so looking to get a 4k monitor. Do content creation using Davinci Resolve, Lightroom, Maya, Photoshop, Premiere and some gaming mostly Final Fantasy 14, Valorant. some Star Wars Squadrons, Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen.

I as looking at Asus PG32UQX but hearing it has glow and quality issues. Not sure I want to spend like $3,000 with the issue it seems to have. Friend had to return his twice to Microcenter before he got a good one. Another friend has two Pro art PA32UCX-P and had to return it one twice to get a good one so Asus seems like they have quality issues. The other one was good out of the box. I seen the PA32UCX-P in person and I really like it but don't want to spend that much and roll the dice on getting a good one. Seems a bit over priced.

Another friend has two BenQ PD3200U and I also saw these in person and they seemed nice but not as good as the PA32UCX-P but I can buy two of them for less then the price of a single Asus. Both of them had no issue but these are 60hz also. He does play final fantasy and squadrons. Is 144 hz really worth the price premium. Still using two 2412M that I had a long time.

Some Youtube videos recommended the Gigabyte M32U-SA but that seems to have quality issues as well.

Dell UltraSharp 4k UP3216Q seems to be recommended by some youtubers as well but is only 60 hz.

Should I be waiting for next years releases friend should I should wait. Maybe get a cheaper 1440p monitor to tide me over. Not sure I want two 4k monitors. Some friends have 2 4k monitors and others have 1 4k monitor and their second is 1440p or 1200p.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
If you do not need wide gamut, I vote M32U as the current best compromise with 4k IPS for gaming and general use under 1k. Do buy from a place that accepts returns without questions or fees.

If your budget is bigger you could also check the 38-inchers with 3840x1800 (LG & Dell). You will lose some vertical space.

Do not purchase a 4k display without Gsync or adaptative sync if you cannot get at least 50fps with your GPU in the games you play. Use custom superwide resolutions like the one from the 38-inchers (with black bars) if it's struggling.

If you're still using the 980 ti, you might need to update your GPU firmware to get high hz 4k: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

And yes 144hz is worth it (for games but also desktop).

PS : The Asus above is a VA panel. Wouldn't use that for content creation.

Thank you for the replies.

KazeoHin How is the color accuracy on the Asus xg439q? Is 43 inches too big? I was hearing 32 inches is on the big side for some people

Freekill I need a wide gamut for editing. I hear the M32U is a lottery if you get a good one from the reviews on Bestbuy and Newegg. I am willing to spend up to $2,000 or more if there is a compelling reason that its worth that much. Just the Asus asking for $3000 then having quality issues worries me. Just got my 3090 and looking to get a good monitor. Looking at IPS panels only.

Thank you for the replies.

KazeoHin How is the color accuracy on the Asus xg439q? Is 43 inches too big? I was hearing 32 inches is on the big side for some people

Freekill I need a wide gamut for editing. I hear the M32U is a lottery if you get a good one from the reviews on Bestbuy and Newegg. I am willing to spend up to $2,000 or more if there is a compelling reason that its worth that much. Just the Asus asking for $3000 then having quality issues worries me. Just got my 3090 and looking to get a good monitor. Looking at IPS panels only.

43" is too big for gaming in my opinion, but very good for other things.

The main issue I have with 43" monitors which are aimed at gaming is that you can't lower the brightness enough on them. The minimum brightness is simply too high for many uses. I don't know why that is the case with 43" monitors, but not 32" monitors.

I think most monitors are a bit of a crapshoot in terms of what you get because of quality variations between units as well as shipping damage. You always need to order from a place with a good return policy. It's still a big pain to deal with such returns - the hassle of repacking and carrying these heavy bulky things.

Bigmonitorguy

Thank you. I was looking at 32 and maybe 27 inch options. 43 inch just seems to big. I mean it could maybe fit with another monitor. I did have 3 2412M at one point for surround in battlefield but I put one on the server. Have to actually measure it. I still want a secondary monitor.

Looking at BenQ PD3200U or the newer PD3220U if I want a 60 hz but Asus wants such a huge premium for 120 hz not sure I want to pay that. I just missed the black friday sale to get the Dell UltraSharp 4k UP3216Q Any other recommendations?

Thinking most of the higher refresh 4k panels seem to have issues so thinking of getting either a Benq PD3200U or the newer PD3220U or possibly a Dell Dell UltraSharp 4k UP3216Q or Dell Ultrasharp U3219Q but I missed the Dell Black Friday sale not sure if I want to hold out till April for the next Dell sale. Any opinions on the 60 hz 4k panels for content creation? Probably get a second high refresh rate 4k screen later once the issue are worked out.

Thinking of getting the Eizo cs2740 for now and getting a high refresh rate 4k monitor later when better ones are out. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I don’t see too many people recommending the curved monitors, is there a reason why? I’m looking at a curved and have not owned one but seems like it would be a nice fit.

43" is too big for gaming in my opinion, but very good for other things.

The main issue I have with 43" monitors which are aimed at gaming is that you can't lower the brightness enough on them. The minimum brightness is simply too high for many uses. I don't know why that is the case with 43" monitors, but not 32" monitors.
Completely disagree with the part I quoted. I think 43" is perfect for gaming. I also don't have the brightness issue you speak of.

I was not really looking at curved since I need good color accuracy for content creation. 43 inch just seems too big. I haven't used a 43 inch before. Friends have 27 or 32 inch 4k monitors no one has a curved or 43 inch. The Eizo cs2740 has good color accuracy and 5 year warranty but is not particularly good for gaming. Out of stock at B&H though.

I've had curved monitors, but frankly, it's only needed in the larger monitors / TV's that are 48" or so. That's my $0.02 on the matter anyway.

I am on the same decision path...what did you end up getting?

sh0rty
Still haven't bought a monitor yet. I was hoping to stop by B&H when I was in the NYC for the opera to see more photo/editing oriented monitors in person and talk to the sales person there see what they recommend. B&H still don't have the Eizo cs2740 in stock. I'm thinking one monitor for design work and a second cheaper one for gaming. What monitors are you considering?

Is Motion Media reliable? They seem to have good reviews. They have the Eizo CS2740 in stock. Strongly considering the Eizo CS2740 even though it costs $1700 since seems highly reviewed and comes with a 5 year warranty and not likely to have to deal with the exchange dance trying to get a good panel.

Last edited:
sh0rty
Still haven't bought a monitor yet. I was hoping to stop by B&H when I was in the NYC for the opera to see more photo/editing oriented monitors in person and talk to the sales person there see what they recommend. B&H still don't have the Eizo cs2740 in stock. I'm thinking one monitor for design work and a second cheaper one for gaming. What monitors are you considering?

Is Motion Media reliable? They seem to have good reviews. They have the Eizo CS2740 in stock. Strongly considering the Eizo CS2740 even though it costs $1700 since seems highly reviewed and comes with a 5 year warranty and not likely to have to deal with the exchange dance trying to get a good panel.
Sorry I missed this and for late reply. I am kind of all over the place. I am currently running a Dell U3014 for work laptop, a BENQ EW3270-T for main rig, and a Samsung CHG70 for an xbox console. The Samsung is starting to glitch with heavy distortion and lines across the screen but settles after it has been on for a few minutes or so. Its just a pain really. The BENQ I bought in Germany about 5 or more years ago and been using Dell U30XX as a standard year after year for as long as I can remember. Either way, I could really use a refresh across all 3 screens. I am not opposed at looking at the high end but as I have done it over and over, but $3K ish x three is just something I dont want to do. Like I said I am all over the place right now and just following a lot of these threads to see what others are getting, why and for what purpose to see if I can replicate.
I looked at the Eizo CS2740 you mentioned and not sure its the one for me, but maybe. I "think" i want a couple matching gaming monitors (one for main rig, one for console), and then "maybe" something similar to the Eizo for work. I really dont need anything color intensive as I am in the construction/project management industry so huge CAD and schematics is basically the bulk of work load on it. Again...I am all over the place and still just researching all possibilities.

Back