What 2016 phones are you looking forward too ?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
2015 smartphones have been launched by now, and in the rear view mirror. Some highlights were the Note 5, Nexus 6P, I guess the iPhone 6S Plus possibly, and the affordable OnePlus X, and Moto X.

So coming soon in 2016, what has you drooling and ready to purchase some sweet SD820 phones ?

My list in order of release;

- HTC One M10 ( Hopefully HTC is still around, and can finally put out a killer phone, that wow'd us like the One M8 )

- LG G5 ? I'm hoping they have a OLED display, and keep the small form factor.

- OnePlus Three ( SD820 with an AMOLED display, and build like the One X )

- iPhone 7 ( I'm most interested in if iOS 10 is revamped and is just revised a ton, and of course the design of the phone itself should be a top notch style )

- Note 6 should be killer

- Nexus-N ( Hopefully 5.7" screen size, maybe made by Sony ? )

It's time for a Surface Phone. Skylake + option to run full blown Windows 10 = no more having to settle for junky apps from Google Play and App Store. Software in those mobile OS has been in a standstill for quite some time now. It's time to move on to something superior.

As long as it can be rooted on Verizon and has front facing speakers, that's about all I care about anymore. Pretty much every phone checks all the other blocks for me at this point. Oh, and I need at least 64GBs of storage.

At this moment if someone told me "Pick any smartphone and I'll buy it for you..." I'd take a BlackBerry Priv above most everything else that's available. I'm just a bit sick of plain old Android smartphones and I'd like to try something different so, with the Priv I'd get Android yes but I'd also get a lot of BlackBerry related tools - I currently own a BlackBerry Z10 and I love it, I really do. It's a fantastic device that is snappy and responsive in ways one might not expect from such an older device and it runs pretty much every Android app that I happen to use including the Play Market and Google Services too.

But I like the Priv - I like the look, the form factor, the whole package and that's what I'd choose at this time and for the near future. Not sure what the hell the major players are going to do with their next flagships but I know there won't be anything so astonishing or even creative that it would matter to me. I find most every current modern Android device pretty damned boring, to be honest.

I figure if BlackBerry took the time to create the Priv then it wouldn't be so bad to take some time to appreciate it. Supposedly they'll be available in AT&T corporate stores on Friday so I'm going to call around and find one where I can go do a proper hands on for a bit and see what all the hubbub is about. Been keeping up with all the info and articles and early reviews from leakers that have access to the production hardware but obviously the only person that can say for myself if it's worthy of consideration is obviously me, myself, and I.

iPhone 7 with shrinked bezels.. 4.7" with smaller form factor or 5" with better use of space.

iPhone 7 and Note 6.

Nothing else matters.

:D

This.

No phone with the SD820 has me interested. I am interested to find out what the next gen SoC from Apple is and how Samsung competes. I'm hoping they include a better GPU, there were rumors that Samsung would move away from Mali again.

I would be looking forward to the iPhone 7, but not if they continue upgrading with iOS 9. Needs a rewrite. I will be very happy if they can solve the battery issue. Give us a damn better battery! This technology has been kicking our asses for a long time. Make better batteries!

Still looking forward to the Microsoft Unicorn x86.

With USB Type-C Thunderbolt port, not just USB 3.1.

Intel radios with WiDi would great.

The future of smartphones could really be a belt buckle that houses the main components, but the display with separate wireless displays (with their own batteries) through WiDi in a number of extremely thin form factors (watch, phone, tablet).

I would be looking forward to the iPhone 7, but not if they continue upgrading with iOS 9. Needs a rewrite. I will be very happy if they can solve the battery issue. Give us a damn better battery! This technology has been kicking our asses for a long time. Make better batteries!

iOS 9 was clearly about cleaning things up, getting the OS to run more effectively rather than changing its core mechanics. I'm not counting on a rewrite, but iOS 10 seems like a prime opportunity to introduce some major new concepts and features.

Me? I'm looking forward to the iPhone 7 the most, since a 6 is my daily driver. However, I'm really curious to see if HTC can redeem itself with the next One flagship, and if Samsung goes back to the drawing board after the S6 and Note 5 failed to turn things around. And of course, I'd like to see what the 2016 Nexus line looks like.

If someone could figure out how to have wireless charging with a metal body (with a plastic or glass logo box/circle to house the wireless charging plates), I will bet on HTC.

I also hope for more shatterproof designs.

Last edited:
Going to continue my migration into the Apple realm, so iPhone 7 for me. Moving out from android.

iPhone 7 with transparent aluminum body and sapphire screen.

Next gen Windows phones and Huawei Honor 8. Though... I'm rather happy with my Honor 6.

Is this you on Disqus? Slightly different name I know, was just curious, heh.

That's pretty funny actually! No it's not. I only read/write on a few sites, and never thought I'd be using Apple stuff, but you never know I guess And Disqus is disabled by default on my rigs. ;)

My upgrade is in June(2016), so I think I'll go for the LG G5.
By then, it should practically be free, since rumors speculate a Jan or Feb release.
(And, a Zerolemon case should be available for it by then. So I should be good to go.)

I've loved my LG G2 since I've had it.
I'll definitely stay with the G series, atleast one more time around.

My vote, the LG G5.

Last edited:
With all the new tech that went into the iPhone 6S Plus (mainly the Apple A9 SoC and the custom PCIe NVMe SSD controller), I'm genuinely curious about what they'll do with the iPhone 7. Besides the Galaxy Note 6, I'm not really seeing anything terribly interesting on the Android side.

Last edited:
iPhone 7 unless Google manages to completely overhaul how they handle OS updates in the next 9 months.

Last edited:
iPhone 7 unless Google manages to completely overhaul how they handle OS updates in the next 9 months.

What's special about Apple's approach to updates which is throwing shit at the wall and hoping something sticks? They keep re-breaking/re-fixing basic stuff like alarm that shouldn't be an issue to begin with and something you'd expect to just work like being able to open and close your car door every day. Average Joe need to stop blindly drooling over the frequency and ask what it's fixing or in this case what it's breaking and what they're gaining from the updates. While it's healthy to regularly pass bowel movement but if it's too frequent it's actually a problem.

http://gawker.com/apples-newest-software-update-will-shut-off-your-iphone-1739207287

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/04/apple-ios-9-1-touch-id/

Blackberry Priv, I WANT MY PHYSICAL KEYBOARD !!

:D

internet_bro_fist.jpg

Bring on the next Nexus.

Samsung and their Knox and TouchShit crapware can go DIAF.

Software doesn't make up for shit hardware and build quality.

Even "shit hardware and build quality"...is pretty damned good these days.

Unless you're a fatass who keeps their phone in their butt pocket. Which for how hot you get about the topic...

When is bottom good enough? And, men don't shelter their phone in a manpurse. :p

You deserve cookies and milk though for volunteering to guinea pig Marshmallow and working out the issues before everyone else gets it.

Well since I'm on the original JUMP I just grabbed the LG V10 and I like it a lot. In 6 months I'll look at what's out and what's on the horizon. If I see something I like more then the V10 and it isn't Samsung I'll just JUMP again. :D

LG is Samsung's uglier brother. You won't kiss Samsung but you'll kiss LG? Explain.

Shit software also doesn't make up for good hardware. See the history of the PC industry.

I'd rather put up with Windows 7 on Supermicro than newer better Windows 8.1/10 on Acer. Software can improve while shit hardware is forever.

LG is Samsung's uglier brother. You won't kiss Samsung but you'll kiss LG? Explain.

What's ugly? I happen to like how the V10 looks. In terms of software LG Optimus UI is far less invasive then TouchWiz (not to mention not a laggy mess either). LG even gives me the option to make it look more stockish in the menu system. No Gingerbread tabs here!

For myself, Samsung lost me the moment they stopped putting removable batteries and microSD cards in their hardware, and once I started using LG's KnockOn stuff there was just no going back for me personally.

Had a G2 and loved it (in spite of no removable battery or microSD, ironically, and the custom ROM I used with it was taken from the G3 before release), then had a G3 and the battery life was just too disappointing because LG didn't have a chance to properly optimize things with that quadHD display before release, want a G4 but at this point as I stated above I want to do something different more than I want a G4 so, the Priv is the one for me for the foreseeable future. The V10 doesn't interest me at this point, not really sure why, I guess because it's so similar to the G4 it's just more of the same old same old - LG is getting a bit stagnant so again, I want something different so I chose to look elsewhere when the Priv happened into my sphere and that's all it took.

Hoping to go check one out at an AT&T store tomorrow in my area, and with the announced $249 on contract price I just might have to do some serious consideration about getting one, I really might.

EDIT:

Just noticed this article just published:

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/11/managing-android-security-patching-for-priv/

From that article said:
"BlackBerry has the ability to directly patch all PRIV variants and will do so when necessary to protect users and enterprises."

Well that's a major positive: BlackBerry can push updates directly to Priv devices without the carriers getting in the way. Considering that Google worked hand in hand with BlackBerry to create the Priv and the version of Android it uses, this could be the tipping point (so to speak) to really make it sell better than expected considering how much people care about getting updates up-to-date. :D

Imagine Google devices in the Nexus lineup or the Motorola lineup getting Android updates and at the same time the Priv getting those same updates - now that's impressive stuff if it actually works out as designed.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's time for a Surface Phone. Skylake + option to run full blown Windows 10 = no more having to settle for junky apps from Google Play and App Store. Software in those mobile OS has been in a standstill for quite some time now. It's time to move on to something superior.

This is what I'm looking for!

Barring that, I'd like to see the Note 6.

iPhone 7 and Note 6.

Nothing else matters.

Lame. I like a bit more variety. Samsung has really annoyed me lately with how they've completely copied Apple's model for everything; pricing, features, restrictions, etc. They removed some key features that made them stand out before; expandable storage and removable/expandable battery, while also shrinking the battery. They they went full retard with the Edge phones; pricing them a full $100 more over the S6/Note5 when they basically add nothing to the phone feature wise. The Edge+ actually loses more than it gains over the Note5 and costs $100 more.. dafuq is that? I guarantee if people weren't able to rely on contracts and payment plans to play for their phones, these Edge phones wouldn't sell much at all compared to their regular phones. I think they've actually gotten more conceited than Apple now.

If I weren't set on the 6P now, I'd prolly only be looking at HTC, Moto, and maybe LG next year. But I doubt I will be buying a new phone in 2016.

As much as I have liked the aesthetic of the HTC phones, I've owned a M7 and M8, I won't buy another HTC product. The first M7 I had, camera went bad - heat fucked the sensor which is apparently common. Blue tint on every photo - out of warranty, no fix. The M8 I bought lasted a whole 7 months. Photos started turning blue on the camera ( go go HTC ) and then one day I plugged it into charge, it immediately gave a shutdown/overheat warning and would not start again. Toast. Even though I registered the phone with HTC when I bought it, since my invoice didn't have the IMEI of the exact phone I bought on the invoice, they told me they could not honor the warranty from the buy date and, instead, had to use the build date which resulted in no warranty coverage remaining.

That was after a 30 minute repair ticket set-up over the phone where everything was hunky dory, only to find out after no contact that the guy didn't actually do anything, and I actually didn't have any warranty. Yay.

So, no -- no matter how good a phone HTC puts out I will never buy one again.

Back