What 2016 phones are you looking forward too ?

PCs aren't going anywhere. They will always have massive advantage in speed, storage space and obviously display size.

However if Google decides to make Android as free OS for PCs... Things would get interesting (assuming that they improve power user keyboard+mouse experience a lot).
The point is this: "It is much easier to improve mobile platforms enough to replace PCs than it is to try and simplify PCs and make them more suitable for mobile usage scenarios."

Both Android and iOS are working on making multiwindow support. Google is also supposedly integrating Chrome OS to Android. With Office for iPad and multiple tabbed browsing on iPad Safari/Chrome/etc, people like my parents could stop using their computers completely. (I still like the Surface Pro/Book better though.) It's not going to be too long where the most consumers could drop the PC.

Is it? I'm not so sure. Microsoft is trying to do the same but from desktop to mobile. Generally speaking some of the UWP apps that work on desktop and mobile do work great on both platforms. Currently Android works well on phones but tablets are a bit so so in my opinion.

But in any case I can't use platform where I can't do proper software development. To me that's the thing that defines platform's capability.

Edit:
Just upgraded my Honor 6 to Android 6.0. To be honest I thought that there was a real chance that KitKat was the only Android version that this would receive. That wasn't the case. All in all I think Huawei/Honor is doing pretty good job at upgrading their devices.

Last edited:
Is it? I'm not so sure. Microsoft is trying to do the same but from desktop to mobile. Generally speaking some of the UWP apps that work on desktop and mobile do work great on both platforms. Currently Android works well on phones but tablets are a bit so so in my opinion.

But in any case I can't use platform where I can't do proper software development. To me that's the thing that defines platform's capability.

Edit:
Just upgraded my Honor 6 to Android 6.0. To be honest I thought that there was a real chance that KitKat was the only Android version that this would receive. That wasn't the case. All in all I think Huawei/Honor is doing pretty good job at upgrading their devices.

I don't think we're at the point where most people will drop the PC. However, we are at the point where a PC is not an automatic choice for some people. That's certainly true in developing countries (where your income is less likely to let you get a phone /[and]/ a PC), but it also applies to people who just want to check email and Facebook, or those people whose work can be done entirely with mobile software. The PC market is consolidating around those people who actually need or want the added power and screen area of a computer.

When are the new Nexus phones set to appear. HTC?

They'll only arrive when Android N is ready, which is probably in late summer/early fall. My hunch is September or October. HTC is rumored to be sole manufacturer for Nexus phones this year, which would be great if the HTC 10 is any indication.

Any news in the Note 6? That's what I'm holding out for this year. I really want a Note 5 or S7 Edge, but I'm past that threshold now where I think waiting for the Note 6 is a better move.

^^ I have an S7 Edge. Not very impressed. Replaced twice over screen problems. I'm going to JUMP to the Note 6 as soon as it's out.

It's now possible to buy One Plus devices directly in Finland. That's kinda cool since it means easy warranty stuff if things go south.

I'm going to be paying off the remainder on my G3 with T-Mobile this week and upgrading to the HTC 10 next week after T-Mobile starts carrying them, probably get it on Friday. My daughter will be getting upgraded from the Nexus 4 she is using now to my G3.

I'm going to be paying off the remainder on my G3 with T-Mobile this week and upgrading to the HTC 10 next week after T-Mobile starts carrying them, probably get it on Friday. My daughter will be getting upgraded from the Nexus 4 she is using now to my G3.

I was really torn between getting the 10 next week on T-Mo too or just buying a 6P outright on Swappa. I just switched from Verizon to T-Mo and my M8 is missing their LTE bands 2 and 12, so I need a T-Mo phone soon. After seeing that they didn't really price the 10 any cheaper than HTC does, esp. now that you can get the 10 for $100 off (so $600 total), compared to the $680 T-Mo is charging, and they're not carrying it in black, I just ordered a month-old mint 64GB 6P on Swappa for $420. Just didn't think the 10 was worth another $250 or $28/month over the 6P. That should hold me over until the next Nexus phone later this year, I think. I still might pick up the 10 if they have a crazy deal on it at some point too though.

I'm hoping the 5.7-5.8 screen phones this year are awesome. Ive been using the LG G Flex 2 for a year almost. Its an awesome phone especially for the $250 I paid last year brand new. The screen is just not quite big enough.

I was really torn between getting the 10 next week on T-Mo too or just buying a 6P outright on Swappa. I just switched from Verizon to T-Mo and my M8 is missing their LTE bands 2 and 12, so I need a T-Mo phone soon. After seeing that they didn't really price the 10 any cheaper than HTC does, esp. now that you can get the 10 for $100 off (so $600 total), compared to the $680 T-Mo is charging, and they're not carrying it in black, I just ordered a month-old mint 64GB 6P on Swappa for $420. Just didn't think the 10 was worth another $250 or $28/month over the 6P. That should hold me over until the next Nexus phone later this year, I think. I still might pick up the 10 if they have a crazy deal on it at some point too though.
Where did you find that pricing info on T-Mo's HTC 10? I'm so ready to dump my S7 Edge. I wanted to hold out for the HTC 10 or Note 6, but just don't want to deal with my S7E any longer than necessary. I might buy a used Moto X to hold me over until the 6 is out.

I'm hoping the 5.7-5.8 screen phones this year are awesome. Ive been using the LG G Flex 2 for a year almost. Its an awesome phone especially for the $250 I paid last year brand new. The screen is just not quite big enough.
I'm totally not looking forward to humongous phones.

If the OnePlus 3 rumours about 5" 1080p, 3500mAh battery and Snapdragon 820 are true... I'd be really interested in getting one. In my opinion 5" is perfect size. Not too large nor too small.

Where did you find that pricing info on T-Mo's HTC 10? I'm so ready to dump my S7 Edge. I wanted to hold out for the HTC 10 or Note 6, but just don't want to deal with my S7E any longer than necessary. I might buy a used Moto X to hold me over until the 6 is out.

I've seen several places online quote $679 for the phone from Tmobile. Also, if you get it between Mat 18th and 24th, you can get a free Ice View case and HTC quick Charge 3.0, so you have a spaer to go with the one in the box. I have not seen anywhere that mentions what colors T-mo will be carrying, the link on their own page just says coming soon with a basic list of features and no color mentioned that I saw.

What's wrong with your S7E? Just don't like it? If it were ATT I'd buy it from you maybe. Too bad

What's wrong with your S7E? Just don't like it? If it were ATT I'd buy it from you maybe. Too bad
yeah, just don't like the edge screen. I'm constantly opening apps by accident when they're along the edges.

You should be able to use a T-Mo phone on AT&T. Both are GSM. Just sayin' if you really wanna make a deal. ;)

yeah, just don't like the edge screen. I'm constantly opening apps by accident when they're along the edges.

You should be able to use a T-Mo phone on AT&T. Both are GSM. Just sayin' if you really wanna make a deal. ;)

I don't think I'd get LTE and ive seen a lot of issues with customers using phones from other carriers. If you have any issues you are SOL.

I don't think I'd get LTE and ive seen a lot of issues with customers using phones from other carriers. If you have any issues you are SOL.
All true. Just stay on wifi and everything will be fine. :p

Has anyone tried the Acer Liquid M330?

Looks... compeltely horrible, if I'm honest.

- 8GB storage
- 1GB RAM
- weak chip (SD 210)
- tiny, low res screen (4.5" 480x854)
- 5MP camera, only good for throwaway shots
- moderately sized battery (2000 mAh) not too bad considering weak chip and size / res of screen
- Windows Phone 10, which is good as dead

Costs $100.

The couple of reviews I glanced at said it felt cheap in hand (no great surprise) and the viewing angles were weak considering it's an IPS display.

Honestly there are better phones out there used for $100 in good shape -- the LG G2 for example beats this thing in every conceivable way, save possibly battery life.

I'd pass unless you really like Windows Phone for some reason, need something cheap, and are only willing to buy new.

Last edited:
Considering the LG G2 has shockingly good battery life (23 hours talk time for example), I doubt it'll have very meaningfully better battery life especially considering the much poorer performance.

2016 Phones? Wow, this thread has been derailed so many times it was really hard to find any useful info here. I'm up for a new (VZW) phone around Aug/Sept this year - was hoping for some useful info on what I want next.

I currently have a Note 4 and love almost everything about it - definitely want another similar size phone. Don't want Note 5 because no removable battery or SD card and glass back which reduces durability - thinking it's about time to jump ship from Samsung and try another brand. The LG V10 looks really good, so I've been considering that one.

Now that 2016 is almost half over, what kind of speculation is there about the Note 6 or successor to the V10? Any other good looking phablet size phones coming up in the next few months?

The V10 is a good option if you want something rugged and don't need it to be the fastest thing in the world. Pure performance wise it can't keep up with newer models. Battery life can be a bit iffy as I understand, as well.

The Note 6 is almost certainly going to have a glass back, it's just part of Samsung's new design language. I don't see a big departure from that given how well the Galaxy S7 and Edge are doing for them.

There's always the 6P, and by Q3/4 you may see a new Google phablet.

Sticking to 5.7"+ or willing to drop down to 5.5"? That opens up a lot more options for you.

If I were you I'd bail on Verizon when the ZTE Axon 7 comes out. Looks like it's going to be a beast of a phone for $450.

2016 Phones? Wow, this thread has been derailed so many times it was really hard to find any useful info here. I'm up for a new (VZW) phone around Aug/Sept this year - was hoping for some useful info on what I want next.

I currently have a Note 4 and love almost everything about it - definitely want another similar size phone. Don't want Note 5 because no removable battery or SD card and glass back which reduces durability - thinking it's about time to jump ship from Samsung and try another brand. The LG V10 looks really good, so I've been considering that one.

Now that 2016 is almost half over, what kind of speculation is there about the Note 6 or successor to the V10? Any other good looking phablet size phones coming up in the next few months?

The Note 6 (it might actually be called the Note 7 to sync with the Galaxy S naming scheme) is expected to borrow elements from the S7, so you'll get the microSD slot back. There are also reports of a dual-curve screen, and it wouldn't be surprising if there's a bigger battery as well. I also wouldn't be surprised if it packs more RAM (6GB, say) and the virtually obligatory round of new pen features.

If the rumors are right, you might hear more about the Note 6/7 as soon as early August, so I'd definitely wait.

Apart from that? The 2016 Nexus 6P (or whatever it's called)... and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a successor to the V10.

I'm totally not looking forward to humongous phones.

If the OnePlus 3 rumours about 5" 1080p, 3500mAh battery and Snapdragon 820 are true... I'd be really interested in getting one. In my opinion 5" is perfect size. Not too large nor too small.

Is this coming to Verizon? I imagine not, but I can wish...

The S7 active is due out this friday. Broke my backup phone so this seems like the best choice at the time. Larger battery is really the only thing that attracts me to it versus the regular S7.

The Note 6 (it might actually be called the Note 7 to sync with the Galaxy S naming scheme) is expected to borrow elements from the S7, so you'll get the microSD slot back. There are also reports of a dual-curve screen, and it wouldn't be surprising if there's a bigger battery as well. I also wouldn't be surprised if it packs more RAM (6GB, say) and the virtually obligatory round of new pen features.

If the rumors are right, you might hear more about the Note 6/7 as soon as early August, so I'd definitely wait.

Apart from that? The 2016 Nexus 6P (or whatever it's called)... and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a successor to the V10.

Seriously though, it's getting old already....

My wife has the HTC10 and it is a better phone than my S7e... Honeymoon is over and I'm not sure I'll buy another one with the edges anytime soon. Selling mine. Not really sure what I'll end up with... maybe the Huawei P9.

Back