What 2016 phones are you looking forward too ?

I'm interested in a phone that is built from a manufacturer that listens to its customers. Sadly it is never going to be like that again - until One+ gets more widely accepted.

There is no reason to remake another iphone and galaxy phone that is just going to copy previous generations and cost more. These phones need to have expandable storage, batteries that will last more than 24hours, and have very good call quality.

Why do people pay $500+ every year to keep getting side grades?

I'm interested in a phone that is built from a manufacturer that listens to its customers. Sadly it is never going to be like that again - until One+ gets more widely accepted.

There is no reason to remake another iphone and galaxy phone that is just going to copy previous generations and cost more. These phones need to have expandable storage, batteries that will last more than 24hours, and have very good call quality.

They don't pay $500+ every year, they pay $200-$300 every 2 years on contract or nothing and pay an monthly finance fee and get a new phone every 6 months to a year through the carrier or OEM. That's the only reason they sell as much as they do; because they don't have to pay full retail up front to get the phone.

I buy on average one high end phone per year. I swap between Android and Windows though. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but it feels rather fresh every time I swap.
My last few years: Note 3 > Lumia 1520 > S6 Edge+ > Surface Phone (hopefully, or next Microsoft flagship).
It's also perfect timing. Note 3 was a huge leap from what I had before. After I got bored with it I swapped to Lumia 1520 which just got Windows 8. Now I have S6 Edge+ which is again different than anything I had before, and my next phone will be Microsofts next flagship, which will most likely have refined features of Continuum/Cortana as well as a matured Windows 10 OS, which in my opinion is a better phone OS than both Android and iOS.

The sony z6..sd820, stereo speakers, IP68, microSD, 5.2 inch screen.

My Z2 is going strong and I love it so much that I didnt bother to replace it this year with the Z5. Will get the Z6 though, and iPhone 7.

My Z2 is going strong and I love it so much that I didnt bother to replace it this year with the Z5. Will get the Z6 though, and iPhone 7.

Lucky you. Our work phones are Kyocera Brigadier.

Yea, my company pays for the service but I can choose whatever phone I want.

Yeah. They give us these phones (stable as can be, very sturdy) for us field technicians. They allow us personal use with all the data we can use on Verizon. I frequently tether up when in a hotel for 1080 Netflix and Diablo.

The future of smartphones could really be a belt buckle that houses the main components, but the display with separate wireless displays (with their own batteries) through WiDi in a number of extremely thin form factors (watch, phone, tablet).

So now when you get mugged and your phone gets stolen not only are you without a phone, but your pants will be literally down at your ankles! :p

Yeah. They give us these phones (stable as can be, very sturdy) for us field technicians. They allow us personal use with all the data we can use on Verizon. I frequently tether up when in a hotel for 1080 Netflix and Diablo.

Thats pretty good. I can choose any android or iOS device for my work as long as it works with the security software they have. I'm a project manager so my company wants me to be available for emails and calls almost all the time, I do have unlimited data but my company monitors what I do on the phone, otherwise I would only have one phone if they didn't.

Kinda spoiled here in that I can use one phone for both personal use and work, and they don't watch what I do. The only restriction is that I need to install a security policy that requires some common-sense safeguards.

As for phones to look forward to: I already mentioned the iPhone 7, HTC and the Nexus line, but I'd like to add the LG G5... having used the V10 for a while, I'm starting to think that LG is the real Korean phone maker to watch if you're an enthusiast.

Will be skipping 2016, my new Nexus 6 is going to be just fine for another few years. Phones long ago reached the point where the hw was fast enough.

Sony's next G series smartphone (would love to see some RX camera love be put into this!!), and/or the LG G5.

My G4 looks like it has gone through a war (use it and the camera VERY frequently), and am ready for the next great thing!

I think my biggest hope for 2016 is that the Snapdragon 820 is as amazing as early reports are suggesting. Just give me a flagship around 5" and life will be good again!

New HTC One M10 details: Quad HD AMOLED display, fingerprint scanner, 12 UltraPixel OIS camera and more
http://phandroid.com/2016/01/28/htc-one-m10-specs-info/

- The HTC One M10 will have a 5.1-inch Quad HD (2560 x 1440) display.
- The rear camera is a 12MP UltraPixel sensor, and both the rear and front sensors will have optical image stabilization.
- Inside is a Snapdragon 820 chipset, 4GB of RAM and at least 32GB of storage (which can be expanded via microSD).
- There’s a home button that doubles as a fingerprint scanner.
- Boomsound speakers are gone.
- It’ll ship with Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow and Sense 8.0.

Yeah, I can't believe that's the true M10 and think it's just a weird variant/exclusive to AT&T. I really don't think HTC would drop their signature Boomsound speakers on their flagship line. It's one of the main reasons many people got the M7/8/9 and I personally won't own another phone without front facing speakers now. Big mistake if that's the real M10 though.

Never buying another HTC phone, personally. Had two M7s with purple cameras and one M8 that had a purple camera and bricked itself charging. No thank you to that garbage anymore.

Unless the S7 magically manages to fix TouchWiz, I don't think I'll be getting any type of Android phone in the next few years. It just doesn't offer me anything over iOS for MY needs. So I'll be looking to get the iPhone 7 whenever it comes out.

Ditto. I have the Z2 and an S4 with the extended Anker battery. Use both, but I really like the Z2. Need to replace its battery though, and the headphone jack is acting funny.

Nothing new there. It's basically their version of Microsoft's/Nokia's glance screen.

I'm more excited about this sexy new metal design and shape, than the always on option, which I am sure can easily be turned off. But this G5 looks to be a real looker :)

And I am sure LG knows well enough to revamp their crappy UI, at least I hope they do.

If the G5 does indeed have an awesome metal design, and very compact size for a 5.6" phone, along with a overhauled UI, I will be a first day customer. But right now, I want to see the Marshmallow UI LG has come up with.

I'm more excited about this sexy new metal design and shape, than the always on option, which I am sure can easily be turned off. But this G5 looks to be a real looker :)

And I am sure LG knows well enough to revamp their crappy UI, at least I hope they do.

If the G5 does indeed have an awesome metal design, and very compact size for a 5.6" phone, along with a overhauled UI, I will be a first day customer. But right now, I want to see the Marshmallow UI LG has come up with.
Lets hope OLED screen :)

Padfone S2

The only phone that is a direct upgrade to my Padfone S, while retaining its function and appeal.

Bring on the next Nexus.

Samsung and their Knox and TouchShit crapware can go DIAF.
This. Samsung can go to hell. My wife's Note Edge is the biggest piece of crap imaginable. Meanwhile all of my Nexus phones continue to soldier on flawlessly.

I read somewhere that they have moved the volume keys to the usual place. That alone makes it more interesting than the previous version. I personally don't care about always on stuff (IMO simple led does the job perfectly like on my Honor 6).

I read somewhere that they have moved the volume keys to the usual place. That alone makes it more interesting than the previous version. I personally don't care about always on stuff (IMO simple led does the job perfectly like on my Honor 6).

Yep, it will be setup like the Nexus 6P, with the fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone, with the volume buttons on the side. It will have a 5.6" screen, but very compact overall, with minimal top and bottom bezels, and should be a lot smaller than the Nexus 6P, with pretty much the same size screen.

Add to that the all new high end metal build, and beautiful design, that rumors say rival the HTC One series and Apple's iPhone quality.

Only a week away until the official announcement.

I have lost all interest in the S7, it's just another nice boring upgraded smartphone from Samsung. I am just tired of Samsung lately. Especially their design, it seems the same old same old, yeah they have a nice metal / glass high quality build now, but the front, which you see all the time, really looks no different at all for years now. The Samsung logo name on the front is just bad. The cheesy shiny speaker grill on the top, and the chrome ringed home button. I'm tired of that lame front. I like black monolith designs, nothing on the front, just all black.

The G5 looks to be a fresh original design, which is what attracts me, something new and different. Let's just hope LG's UI is much overhauled ? If not at least hoping for unlock bootloader to install CM13 ROM.

Plus the G5 is 5.6", which is a sweet size, especially LG's way of making their phone very compact, and the S7 is just 5.1", which I am no fan of.

I have lost all interest in the S7, it's just another nice boring upgraded smartphone from Samsung. I am just tired of Samsung lately. Especially their design, it seems the same old same old, yeah they have a nice metal / glass high quality build now, but the front, which you see all the time, really looks no different at all for years now. The Samsung logo name on the front is just bad. The cheesy shiny speaker grill on the top, and the chrome ringed home button. I'm tired of that lame front. I like black monolith designs, nothing on the front, just all black.

The G5 looks to be a fresh original design, which is what attracts me, something new and different. Let's just hope LG's UI is much overhauled ? If not at least hoping for unlock bootloader to install CM13 ROM.

Plus the G5 is 5.6", which is a sweet size, especially LG's way of making their phone very compact, and the S7 is just 5.1", which I am no fan of.

Speaking of LG UI....ooops...

http://phandroid.com/2016/02/12/lg-v10-fingerprint-scanner-vulnerability/

Opinion: LG G5 needs great software if it’s going to be a market-leading smartphone
http://9to5google.com/2016/02/03/lg-g5-software-opinion/

Great article, and I totally agree. The G5 could be shaping up to be the best smartphone of 2016 possibly, BUT...if the software and LG's UI still blows, that could kill the whole thing, no matter how fast and high end the hardware is, or how amazing and beautiful the phone design and materials are. If the software is a bogged down lag fest, forget it.

I'm looking forward to the iPhone 7, but I probably won't buy one. I'll more than likely end up buying an iPhone 6+/6S+ somewhere on the used market after it drops. I'm currently using a 4S, which I've had for I believe just over 2 years now. It was "old" when I got it, that is to say the 5S was Apple's flagship at the time. I also purchased it used.

My phone still does everything I want it to do albeit slowly. So I don't "need" a new phone, but it would make some things I do a lot more pain free. The only issue I have with it is the low amount of RAM. If I go through too much of my Facebook feed while using "Paper" and/or I open up links or whatever inside it to read, I can get the app to crash fairly consistently.

There are a few other apps that run into that RAM limitation such as Instagram. I basically can't use it to load a video onto. Most of the time it crashes after the upload phase. And if it doesn't for that, it will if I apply any filters or when I start adding text or whatever.

So that is probably the biggest reason to upgrade for me. Just speed and less apps crashing due to lack of RAM. Well, and I'll make sure to move to a phone with more than 16GB of space on it, 'cause that's another problem that is really irritating. But other than that it works great. Does what I need it to, which is primarily be a calling/texting device with some browsing and reading stuff.

Last edited:
You'd probably be more satisfied with the 6s then as it was double the memory on the 6.

I just got a Moto X Pure, but I'm always going to have my eye on Moto/Lenovo and any other providers that offer a mostly vanilla Android experience.
After going vanilla, I can't imagine going back. Especially to something as overarching as TouchWiz.
Hopefully more handsets offer the vanilla (or close) experience in 2016.

I just got a Moto X Pure, but I'm always going to have my eye on Moto/Lenovo and any other providers that offer a mostly vanilla Android experience.
After going vanilla, I can't imagine going back. Especially to something as overarching as TouchWiz.
Hopefully more handsets offer the vanilla (or close) experience in 2016.

Totally agree, but stock vanilla phones are so hard to come by. The Nexus line isn't even sold in carrier stores, so you need $600+ cash to buy one, which drastically limits the amount sold. Samsung only has Touchwiz, which is getting better, but still bloated like a beached whale. LG's UI looks ugly as crap, and can be pretty laggy. HTC's Sense is the only UI that's actually really smooth, and not much of a system hog, but I'm not digging their 5.1" phone options. And Motorola is dead, and Lenovoa made a comment a couple months ago, they will ditch all "M" branding for good, on their new phones this year, and go a different route style wise and UI wise.

I can't be the only one that is done with upgrading until some awesome new game changing technology changes smartphones again. I'm on a iphone 6 and I don't ever plan on upgrading until the thing stops working at this point. I've tried numerous Android phones as well, be it samsungs, HTC's, etc.. I just don't see the reason to keep on upgrading anymore as any 'updates' are just faster CPU's that I have no use for, or a 'better' screen that I don't give a shit about.

I'd maybe upgrade if I could get something like the iPhone 6 / Android equivalent that was the same exact form factor but offered at least three times the battery life. At this point the compute power in phones is good enough that I wish they'd just focus on upping the battery life.

Totally agree, but stock vanilla phones are so hard to come by. The Nexus line isn't even sold in carrier stores, so you need $600+ cash to buy one, which drastically limits the amount sold. Samsung only has Touchwiz, which is getting better, but still bloated like a beached whale. LG's UI looks ugly as crap, and can be pretty laggy. HTC's Sense is the only UI that's actually really smooth, and not much of a system hog, but I'm not digging their 5.1" phone options. And Motorola is dead, and Lenovoa made a comment a couple months ago, they will ditch all "M" branding for good, on their new phones this year, and go a different route style wise and UI wise.

I know for fact that ATT sells the Nexus phones in store. The 6P is a different story. I also bought a Nexus at a Sprint store two years ago(the one based off of the LG G2)

Z, if you like gold you can pick up the Nexus 6P in gold from BestBuy for $450.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/huawei-...ked-gold/4796627.p?id=bb4796627&skuId=4796627

Back