Well, I broke my promise to my self that I wouldn't upgrade.

The Cobra

2[H]4U
Since my freelance editing gig is heating up for the next few months, I am moving by AMD system (Sig below) to become a full time render box. I am going to stick my RTX Titan on that machine since it is auto script based. (They send the job as a zipped batch file and off to the races with Maya3D and After Effects) I decided to move to a more mainstream platform and said after 8 years, I am moving back to Intel full-time.

I went to the egg and got the following:
Intel 13900KF Combo with a Corsair 240mm closed loop cooler.
Asus ProArt z690 since it has a five year warranty and the 10/2.5GB ethernet connections and Thunderbolt.
64GB of Kingston DDR5 -5600
I'll transfer and keep my SSD/HDD configuration and my 4090.

Should meet my needs as far as gaming and when I want to render on it. How has everyone liked their new 13900?

Thx!!!

EDIT: It is a 280mm cooler.

Last edited:
Isn't the Corsair 240mm pushing it for that CPU. 280mm would be the smallest I would choose, 360mm if the case supports it.

Sweet upgrade dude congrats. I'm surprised you didn't go with a Z790 instead even if the differences are small. I just ordered a Z790 Aorus Master cause I hated my mid range Z690 lol considering a 13700kf or 13900ks but not sure if It's worth the jump to from a 12700kf.
What to you do on your rig? Entertainment or work or both? I'm trying to understand the value of the 16 e cores along with the 8 hyper threads for an entertainment rig. I don't do any work on my PC anymore, just fun time lol. You?

Just a personal preference. I've been team red for a while and decided I liked the 13900kf after reading the reviews. Plus there is a new instruction set that takes advantage in Maya3D, so I figured what the hell.

Isn't the Corsair 240mm pushing it for that CPU. 280mm would be the smallest I would choose, 360mm if the case supports it.
Very doubtful. I am running a 240mm cooler on my 3970x and the temps stay at a constant 42-67 when idle and under a full load.

Just a personal preference. I've been team red for a while and decided I liked the 13900kf after reading the reviews. Plus there is a new instruction set that takes advantage in Maya3D, so I figured what the hell.
Ahh so you do video editing. One of my dear friends works for Hustler and he always throws around the terms maya and aftereffects he's on a Mac as he refers to it though. I know nothing about anything I just said lol. What type of videos do you work on?

Sweet upgrade dude congrats. I'm surprised you didn't go with a Z790 instead even if the differences are small. I just ordered a Z790 Aorus Master cause I hated my mid range Z690 lol considering a 13700kf or 13900ks but not sure if It's worth the jump to from a 12700kf.
What to you do on your rig? Entertainment or work or both? I'm trying to understand the value of the 16 e cores along with the 8 hyper threads for an entertainment rig. I don't do any work on my PC anymore, just fun time lol. You?

Goofing off anymore really. I still do some editing on it but mainly gaming now since my full-time job isn't as hectic anymore.

Ahh so you do video editing. One of my dear friends works for Hustler and he always throws around the terms maya and aftereffects he's on a Mac as he refers to it though. I know nothing about anything I just said lol. What type of videos do you work on?
In my former life, I was an IT Director for a video production company in Seattle. I worked there for 3 years and I learned all about the video production world. I do basic editing in premiere pro, send the files to them. They overlay the stuff they do and I basically render portions of the final video they do that they FTP to my TrueNAS box. I have been with them as a consultant now for 6 years doing various jobs in addition to my full-time job.

Running my 13900K with a NH-U12A while gaming and hangs around 65C. I would think a 240mm AIO would be sufficient or borderline

In my former life, I was an IT Director for a video production company in Seattle. I worked there for 3 years and I learned all about the video production world. I do basic editing in premiere pro, send the files to them. They overlay the stuff they do and I basically render portions of the final video they do that they FTP to my TrueNAS box. I have been with them as a consultant now for 6 years doing various jobs in addition to my full-time job.
I hope you mean SFTP and not just FTP!

Running my 13900K with a NH-U12A while gaming and hangs around 65C. I would think a 240mm AIO would be sufficient or borderline
Sorry, I take that back. It is a 280mm cooler.

Attachments

• 280.png
    280.png
    238.7 KB · Views: 1
Should be fine. If u have any issues just set a total power limit in the bios to whatever wattage you want that will force it to keep in check. That's only if you really want to take matters into your own hands and don't want to auto thermal throttle.

So I got the parts ready to go (will upgrade after Xmas) I just realized something: I think I am going to have to put 12700k cpu into the board to apply the bios update for the 13900kf unless there is a way around this. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• E38B59B7-6E43-4C25-9470-B732F1768E73.jpeg
    E38B59B7-6E43-4C25-9470-B732F1768E73.jpeg
    478.4 KB · Views: 1
That board supports bios flashback so you can download the bios you want to a usb drive you prepare. Obviously you need a working pc to set the usb drive up. But once it’s ready you can update the board before you install anything. I’ve set the board in the box and done it that way before.
Look into that and you should be good without having to swap CPUs. If it looks too much of a hassle or the cpu swap is more convenient at least you have one already.

You are most def right just would say the bios flashback should be 10 times easier that installing the CPU and cooler mounting etc I would dread that lol

Well, I got the system installed. Uninstalled all the AMD utilities and drivers along with the Gigabyte drivers. Downloaded all of the Asus drivers and stuff, installed with no issues. However, does Asus no longer offer the overclocking utility they had a while back? And does intel no longer offer chipset drivers? Was poking around and haven't seen anything. Will post results from 3d Mark in a bit.

Strike my last, the AI Suite was on the CDrom along with all the other stuff.

One thing I did notice about the motherboard is that there is a "PD_12V_PWR" connector that says it provides additional power for the PCIE X16 slots at 60 Watts. If the cord is not plugged in it says it will only provide 27W of power. I looked all over for a cord in my PSU and couldn't find anything for it. But it looks like a standard 6 pin plug that goes into a motherboard or Graphics Card. Anyone ever heard of this? My 4090 already draws 450W from the PSU.

Well, I got the system installed. Uninstalled all the AMD utilities and drivers along with the Gigabyte drivers. Downloaded all of the Asus drivers and stuff, installed with no issues. However, does Asus no longer offer the overclocking utility they had a while back? And does intel no longer offer chipset drivers? Was poking around and haven't seen anything. Will post results from 3d Mark in a bit.

Strike my last, the AI Suite was on the CDrom along with all the other stuff.
I'm pretty sure they do. I just installed the latest chipset drivers for my Z790 Aorus Master along with like 15 other board drivers overall.

One thing I did notice about the motherboard is that there is a "PD_12V_PWR" connector that says it provides additional power for the PCIE X16 slots at 60 Watts. If the cord is not plugged in it says it will only provide 27W of power. I looked all over for a cord in my PSU and couldn't find anything for it. But it looks like a standard 6 pin plug that goes into a motherboard or Graphics Card. Anyone ever heard of this? My 4090 already draws 450W from the PSU.
You don't have an additional 6 pin pci e cable? Is the 4090 using them all? Also isn't your 4090 supposed to hit 600 watts when fully plugged in? I would plug in the extra connection on the board if you can. If you need a new cable maybe you can order a new one. What psu are you using? Is it ATX3.0?

Did a quick run, not too bad at all. My 3970x got 13,475 a few weeks ago. The CPU has no problem hitting 6GHZ and temps stable at 54c when under a full load.

Definitely going to reinstall Windows 11 next week after the family is gone as a clean build with a new board and cpu is always better.

not to shabby.png

You don't have an additional 6 pin pci e cable? Is the 4090 using them all? Also isn't your 4090 supposed to hit 600 watts when fully plugged in? I would plug in the extra connection on the board if you can. If you need a new cable maybe you can order a new one. What psu are you using? Is it ATX3.0?
It's an EVGA 1300GT Gold I got last year. I just played Warships for a bit and it seems stable so far.

EDIT: Dug around and found my PSU box and I used another of the 12V cable that you use for graphics cards. I've never seen that on a board before. Usually you just have the CPU power pins and the 24 pin connection. And also just read that these ProArt boards are meant to have Quadro cards in them to run in SLI for creative programs like CAD or 3dMax. Would be nice if mGPU were better supported in the gaming community.

Last edited:
After playing with it the last few days, even though it is "stable" I am still getting random freezes or slowing down of programs. I am just going to do a fresh install of windows.

Back