Weird Issues with 5800x on Asus x570 tuf gaming plus mobo

Awisko

n00b
Hey guys, first time poster long time lurker,

Having a weird issue in one of the games i play, Escape From Tarkov, where in a couple of areas on 2 of the maps my cpu will HEAVILY downclock and downvolt, resulting in horrible fps and frametime drops and im not really sure whats causing it.

Hardware: 5800x
3060 ti
32gb 3600mhz ram
1tb nvme for windows, 2tb hdd for storage and additional 500gb ssd for storage, game is installed on the nvme
asus x570 Tuf Gaming Plus motherboard
650w Gold Seasonic PSU

The only thing ive found so far that helps is setting the ASUS exclusive "PBO Fmax Enhancer" which apparently is a 1 click EDC bug native to asus made by the stilt. Heres where it gets even weirder, i get lower cinebench scores (sometimes by 1000+) on multi test and lose 60-80 on single core tests, and in other games fps is a bit worse too, BUT in tarkov, it will keep my cpu clocks stable and i dont get the downclocking. Ive tried many different things, clean driver install, clean windows install, clean game install, swapped my 3600mhz 32gb kit for a known working 3200mhz 16gb kit, cleared cmos, upgraded bios, set manual PBO limits, used AUTO and MOTHERBOARD PBO limits as well and nothing stops the downclock. I know this isnt normal operation as i have a friend with the same CPU + MOBO and this doesnt happen to him in this game.

Ive attatched a screenshot of RTSS overlay while in game with fmax enhancer OFF, note the serious downclocking of the cpu frequency. Any insight would be really appreciated, im starting to lean towards a CPU or mobo RMA, but as i can mostly mitigate this using fmax enhancer, it leads me to believe its more of a power delivery issue (but idk why id be having it at completely stock bios + cpu settings, im at a complete loss)

Attachments

• Escape From Tarkov Screenshot 2022.01.15 - 13.37.54.05.png
    Escape From Tarkov Screenshot 2022.01.15 - 13.37.54.05.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
what power plan? amd recommends "balanced" now but try full power for gaming, see if it helps. a bit of a drastic option but disabling c-states in bios would lock it to full blast...

i know you already said you tried stock pbo settings, but not sure if you tried stock everything for cpu? i have same mobo but a 3800X and i have all the built in overclocking stuff disabled and i get better clocks/performance like that. actually the only thing i have tweaked in the bios is my memory which is heavily tweaked with DRAM calc settings.

maybe you could try the previous bios just to see if that has any effect? and/or maybe a slight undervolt?

Last edited:
what power plan? amd recommends "balanced" now but try full power for gaming, see if it helps. a bit of a drastic option but disabling c-states in bios would lock it to full blast...
disabling c states does not fix this problem, its not c state related and i use high performance already sadly.
i know you already said you tried stock pbo settings, but not sure if you tried stock everything for cpu? i have same mobo but a 3800X and i have all the built in overclocking stuff disabled and i get better clocks/performance like that. actually the only thing i have tweaked in the bios is my memory which is heavily tweaked with DRAM calc settings.

maybe you could try the previous bios just to see if that has any effect? and/or maybe a slight undervolt?
ive tried it all at stock and it will still downclock and undervolt that heavily

disabling c states does not fix this problem, its not c state related and i use high performance already sadly.

ive tried it all at stock and it will still downclock and undervolt that heavily
i was fiddling with things last night, trying to get my gpu oc back to where it was and found that if i switch to performance mode it locks my cpu to 3675 for some reason. so id leave it on balanced then.

i was fiddling with things last night, trying to get my gpu oc back to where it was and found that if i switch to performance mode it locks my cpu to 3675 for some reason. so id leave it on balanced then.
i switched back to balance for testing and still doing it, ill probably keep it here though as i didnt notice any perf difference between the two

i switched back to balance for testing and still doing it, ill probably keep it here though as i didnt notice any perf difference between the two
it is what amd recommends now. i flipped between a few i had, to see if i could get the cpu locked at full speed, only experienced the opposite. so i deleted them all.

I've been struggling with 5800X and this board for a long time with similar issues (plus WHEA error 46 crashes if I dare to enable PBO), I'm about ready to pull the trigger on an Alder Lake build and just be done with this turd.

I've been struggling with 5800X and this board for a long time with similar issues (plus WHEA error 46 crashes if I dare to enable PBO), I'm about ready to pull the trigger on an Alder Lake build and just be done with this turd.

I had far less issues with my AMD build than I do with my ADL build. Grass isn't always greener.

I had far less issues with my AMD build than I do with my ADL build. Grass isn't always greener.

Dude, I can't run a game for more than 3 seconds at this point and thats not hyperbole. Running a cheesy game like Powerwash Simulator, I can get into a level but it crashes just as soon as it loads. ANYTHING is better than this.

This is my 3rd 5800X and my 2nd motherboard, same problems every time. I really regret giving away my 3700X because that worked perfectly. I have 3 different RAM kits lying around that I've tried, nothing helps. Wait, I take that back, running a BIOS from 2020 with PCI-E 3.0 forced and all cores locked below 3ghz works somewhat. I thought I had this fixed last time I RMA'd the processor and I stupidly sold the 11700k build I had to a friend and now we're back to square one.

Dude, I can't run a game for more than 3 seconds at this point and thats not hyperbole. Running a cheesy game like Powerwash Simulator, I can get into a level but it crashes just as soon as it loads. ANYTHING is better than this.

This is my 3rd 5800X and my 2nd motherboard, same problems every time. I really regret giving away my 3700X because that worked perfectly. I have 3 different RAM kits lying around that I've tried, nothing helps. Wait, I take that back, running a BIOS from 2020 with PCI-E 3.0 forced and all cores locked below 3ghz works somewhat. I thought I had this fixed last time I RMA'd the processor and I stupidly sold the 11700k build I had to a friend and now we're back to square one.

I'm not saying you don't have frustrating issues with your current build.

I'm just saying that I had less issues before than I do now. Switching to ADL might not be as rewarding of an experience as you'd want after that frustration. My 5950x was rock solid though, and I didn't have any platform issues like you're describing.

I'm just saying that I had less issues before than I do now. Switching to ADL might not be as rewarding of an experience as you'd want after that frustration. My 5950x was rock solid though, and I didn't have any platform issues like you're describing.
Sounds like he just has a bad cpu/mobo combo. I just repaired the same board he has and tested it with a low-end pentium gold cpu and it worked flawlessly.

Well, I got my 12700k and MSI Z690 whatever board and so far its fantastic. The only bummer was installing windows 11 and then finding out I can't use my windows 7 pro keys on it, so then I had to go back and reinstall windows 10 and activate it first. Kind of a hassle because I lost my Win 10 USB drive and the microsoft media tool won't run on 11, it just says thanks you're up to date bye~.

I'm not sure if I should try to send the TUF board for RMA along with the CPU, it may even be out of warranty by now because I bought it at launch.

I built this AM4 rig expecting some platform problems, as was typical with AMD, at least for me. Happy to say this build has been just as if not more solid than my previous Intel builds. Its a bummer that yours was a frustration box. Before I bought anything, for the first time ever I checked QVL's lol.. everything had to match up from both sides. At one time I thought QVL was just BS.. turns out there might be something to it. Glad to hear your ADL build is going well.. I will probably move back to Intel next year.. and my kids can fight over this rig.

I built this AM4 rig expecting some platform problems, as was typical with AMD, at least for me. Happy to say this build has been just as if not more solid than my previous Intel builds. Its a bummer that yours was a frustration box. Before I bought anything, for the first time ever I checked QVL's lol.. everything had to match up from both sides. At one time I thought QVL was just BS.. turns out there might be something to it. Glad to hear your ADL build is going well.. I will probably move back to Intel next year.. and my kids can fight over this rig.

/Rant
QVL is still BS. They never update the QVL after they release the board. At best you have a list of what was working with an early bios. I haven't looked at it once since first generation Zen and have had no problems. If anything they should tell you what icc's they used in the memory so you know what works best.
/End rant

Back