Weird .dll problems after moving programs with PCmover

stateofjermaine

[H]ard|Gawd
So, yeah, I probably should have seen it coming, but I am sometimes adventurous to the point of being irrational. I tried out this utility called PCmover a few days ago to move a lot of my old games over from my laptop to my desktop (trying out Windows 8 on the laptop for a little bit). Most of my old software actually worked (!), and pretty much all of my games: Adobe CS5, Mafia II, Crysis 2, Team Fortress 2, Portal, etc.

However, I'm pretty sure some weird stuff went on in the move, because I keep getting this error now when I try to install a few other games. For example, Gears of War, Dirt 2, and a few others. This is the error I get from Gears:

erroryt.png

They all reference the same .dll file. Anybody familiar with this issue? I have started down the crazy path of manual fixing (i.e. locating and replacing the file manually), but I don't feel comfortable going further without a little guidance. I have run a Full Scan with Security Essentials, and I'm pretty confident it's not a virus, etc. I think something really has happened to some of my system files, or somehow some things got placed in weird folders, or didn't get moved over correctly. Being that it is happening with a handful of different applications, I haven't been able to find one place to ask about it. So, I figured I'd start here. Any ideas, or suggestions for a utility that might help iron out this issue? I should note, all of my existing programs and applications are running just fine (Office, movie playback, internet, a bunch of games, etc.).

Last edited:
No clue how it works in Windows 8, with past versions you would always do a repair install of windows right over the existing windows copy preserving your programs and settings.

By the way you should move this thread or request a mod to move it to the operating systems and forum.

No, my desktop is running Windows 7, still. So any Windows 7 advice would be helpful. The whole reason for the file transfer was to keep my important stuff on a W7 machine. Windows 8 is running only on my laptop. And I guess I can see your point about moving the post. I only put it here because I was hoping maybe there would be some experts on specific games who have experienced this issue. You're probably right, tho.

How does the install repair work, exactly?

No, my desktop is running Windows 7, still. So any Windows 7 advice would be helpful. The whole reason for the file transfer was to keep my important stuff on a W7 machine. Windows 8 is running only on my laptop. And I guess I can see your point about moving the post. I only put it here because I was hoping maybe there would be some experts on specific games who have experienced this issue. You're probably right, tho.

How does the install repair work, exactly?

Google it dude.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

And the problem isn't a games issue it is an OS issue.

Google it dude.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

And the problem isn't a games issue it is an OS issue.
Heh, I appreciate your help, but I don't appreciate the suggestion that I wouldn't have Googled it by now! Seriously? :confused:

I find that issues like this are best worked out one-to-one, normally. But still, yes, I realize it is an OS issue. I only posted it because it is an OS issue currently affecting a game, and as I said, I was hoping someone would be familiar with the issue through the channel of having played said game. That aside, thank you for your help!

Back