weak imc or faulty ups

Shadowarez

Gawd
Hi all i have suffered a severe loss my poor new shiny 5950x died about 5 days ago i have since changed a few things and in my testing the only thing that was persistent was the cpu. i was running this kit of gskill 4x32gb 3600mhz cl 16 without issue i only ran docp/xmp i didnt oc past this point.

the Dark Hero was throwing code 90 which in manuel says corrupted boot device i changed it out to others in my test bench that do work same code 90. so changed out the board.

1. changed the motherboard to asus strix itx didnt work, still threw vga led debug
2. changed the memory to gskill trident (royal) with the 5950x no post still vga led,
3. tried a different gpu (Test bench gpu known good) still vga led,
4. tried a differnt boot drive (known good) same issue
5. finally got this working by switching to my 5900x and that board and a new APC ups system.

only reason i changed this out was the old cyber power was very old and wasnt sure how safe this was. turns out this thing is in very bad shape i plugged this into the wall for my inhouse test bench setup nothing attached, it wont stay on, a single fan makes it scream bloody murder and power off.

could this ups kill a cpu if it was faulty?
before this cpu death it was running only issue was if the power dipped the ups would shut off instantly it wouldnt even try to save the system from unclean shutdown.

The ups shutting off like that means your batteries are dead. If you replace them it should work fine again. It shouldn't effect your rig other than not being able to save your work before it shuts off. Basically its just acting as a power strip when the batteries die. At least thats how i understand it. Im no ups professional tho 😔
Theres always the possibility that something internal failed. I would think if anything, your psu would be the component that would be damaged not your cpu if your ups was malfunctioning.
Anythings possible but i doubt the ups caused the cpu to die without cooking anything else is what im trying to say.
The good news is AMD has top notch cs from what ive heard.

yeah they at first said we can sendit off for rma to amd but we have no eta on when itd come back, i told em we have the extended warranty. then he said oh right well we can test inhouse and send a replacement. i am super happy my psu didnt go as its a evga G2 1600watt.

i have nice custom cables for this thing. at first i thought F my board is done. but had same sorta debug codes on the itx amd rig in same case. so i did my investigation and found the cpu to be the only thing between em that consistently failed. i wasnt even doing any hardcore oc just followed Der8aurers guide and some from here tossed on a arctic 420 aio to really give it a good cooling solution.

im hoping i may hve just gotten a dud or something. before i get the replacement ill ask them to add warranty to the cpu again incase if it dies again in a few short months ill consider changing out the psu or lowering the memory to something more reasonable,

do you think overloading this machine with 4x32gb 3600mhz mem woulda been a factor? i know people say this would stress the imc but would it be enough to eventually brick the cpu.

No, not at all. If anything it would only make it harder to run them at their rated speed or to oc them up to 3600 stable. The cpu dieing is just one of those unfortunate things that happens occasionally. Hopefully its just an instance of bad luck and your replacement will last a good long time as the first one should have!

ty ill keep a eye out and see what happens when get replacement will update thread as cant see this happening again anytime soon 🤞

Back