WD_BLACK 4TB SN850X NVMe Amazon.com $377

That was one helluva deal! I bought my 4TB 850X for $345 on sale at Newegg a couple months ago.

This is a fantastic drive. I have the 4tb. In fact I loved it so much I bought another one in 1tb version to run as an OS drive and the 4tb as the game drive. Both are blazing fast and run cool also. Idle is 30-35c and under max load it's 50-60c.

Question: Do drives like this matter yet when it comes to games/ windows boot times? Or are we still at marginal increases over pcie3 drives?

I got a 4TB one for about $260 during the storage day sale after a few other rebates. I installed it and it seems to be running great, but I haven't really done anything much with it that would stress it...yet.
It replaced 3 other 1TB NVME drives in my system! Got my GPU back up to X16! (not that it matters much at all.)

Great deal but I still can't believe that if you fill out an SSD over 50% it drops down the speed by so much. So in reality this 4TB SSD is only 2TB. Wish you could fill up an SSD 90% without any speed decrease.

Bought a pair of these (a 2TB and a 4TB) a month ago and have been super happy with 'em. I got them on sale, but still ended up paying like $50 more than this.

Great deal but I still can't believe that if you fill out an SSD over 50% it drops down the speed by so much. So in reality this 4TB SSD is only 2TB. Wish you could fill up an SSD 90% without any speed decrease.
Huh?
Where did you get that idea.

As long as you aren't doing sustained a single sustained transfer that fills up the SSD without giving it time to clear the cache, it won't slow down to anywhere near 50%. I've already hit over 50% used on this 850X and even with some minor use happening elsewhere on the drive I'm still getting 7000+/6000+ read/write speeds in crystal disk mark.

Most of my NVME SSDs have been closer to 80-90% full their entire life and not a single one has ever dropped 50% in speed.

Huh?
Where did you get that idea.

As long as you aren't doing sustained a single sustained transfer that fills up the SSD without giving it time to clear the cache, it won't slow down to anywhere near 50%. I've already hit over 50% used on this 850X and even with some minor use happening elsewhere on the drive I'm still getting 7000+/6000+ read/write speeds in crystal disk mark.

Most of my NVME SSDs have been closer to 80-90% full their entire life and not a single one has ever dropped 50% in speed.
Everyone is a production database these days, I guess. lol

Hence why everyone trips over themselves to buy 7k+ read/write drives to......use for steam.
Hey!
Only 1tb of this 4tb drive is dedicated to steam.
🤣

Although, honestly, now that I can fit everything else on a single gen 4 drive instead of 3 separate drives, I won't be transferring 100+ gigabyte raw files around different drives for production work anymore so who knows how I'll feel about the actual speed increases. This was mainly for convenience for me.

Hey!
Only 1tb of this 4tb drive is dedicated to steam.
🤣

Although, honestly, now that I can fit everything else on a single gen 4 drive instead of 3 separate drives, I won't be transferring 100+ gigabyte raw files around different drives for production work anymore so who knows how I'll feel about the actual speed increases. This was mainly for convenience for me.
Oh I know. Hey, if I can buy a gen 4 drive for a marginal price increase over a gen 3 I will. I just know there's some who only play games and are like "I need 990 pro/sn 850 drives!" lol.

Yep, I got my first batch when they were $299... which were for client builds, and they have all said they really like them, & wanted moar, even though I explained that the prices were fluctuating daily, or sometimes hourly, they still wanted moar... so I kept watching & managed to grab anutha batch for $329, which was still a great price !

I just checked a few minutes ago, and they are currently @$382 on da Zonnzer...:D

Back