WCG THOR Challenge 2020

Week 4, Day 2 result

1603243384898.png

Ouch, it looks like we've only been doing about 5 years of runtime per day the last couple of days. That seems quite a bit lower than the last run which I thought was 6-7 years of runtime per day.

I'm givin her all she's got Captain!
Same here. My son's system is even up and running BOINC again so I have a bit more than the previous runs. Sure, it's mostly because the temp dropped and he needed the extra heat.

I am back in, my FB Sprint prebunkering didn't pan out. I've got 10 months a day is all, could prevent a surprise overtake I suppose. Perhaps some regulars are distracted with PrimeGrid.

A few of our normal large contributors are on the PrimeGrid challenge instead. We knew in advance that they would be and so knew this challenge would be tougher. Luckily, some of our friends from around the block have jumped in to help a bit while they had nothing else going.

I hope you don't mind if I split off some WCG resources, and run a bit of PG for [H] , in these final hours....looks like you need just a tiny push to move up a spot there, 40k+ points is all.

EDIT: Oh wow, this must be the poorest paying PG project ever, looks as though I will be too little too late....only 21 points per task (avg).

EDIT 2: Oh, wait, those were exceptionally short tasks, only ran (8 threads) for a minute. There is hope yet.

Last edited:
I hope you don't mind if I split off some WCG resources, and run a bit of PG for [H] , in these final hours....looks like you need just a tiny push to move up a spot there, 40k+ points is all.

EDIT: Oh wow, this must be the poorest paying PG project ever, looks as though I will be too little too late....only 21 points per task (avg).

EDIT 2: Oh, wait, those were exceptionally short tasks, only ran (8 threads) for a minute. There is hope yet.

These are not short tasks but they have a few short checker tasks sprinkled in. The real tasks take hours.

Thor Challenge Final Result!

After more than 1.5 months of grueling race, we finished eight out of the ten teams based on total run time. Congrats to P3D for taking the top spot. Best of all, we contributed about 172 years of run time supporting research into global humanitarian causes and one of the most pressing issue facing the world right now is COVID-19.

The final Week 5 challenge aka Thor Pure challenge will commence on Monday, 00:00 UTC, November 02, 2020 to Sunday, November 08, 2020.

You can start bunkering now. Good luck and hope to see more in the final leg of the Thor challenge!

1603674475535.png

Final Pure Thor challenge has started. This race will be based on total credits unlike previous four races which were based on total run time. Good luck and keep crunching [H]ard.

Shot my load that's been saved up 5 days or so.

Any particular projects pay out more points per hour than others? I haven't crunched in quite a while.

covid project (open pandemics) seems to pay pretty well. definitely more than SCC and probably MCM.

So from the small sample of results recently, in my case it looks like MCM is ~90 points per result which takes about 2 hours. OPN is ~63 points per result which takes about 2.25 hours.

So from the small sample of results recently, in my case it looks like MCM is ~90 points per result which takes about 2 hours. OPN is ~63 points per result which takes about 2.25 hours.

See this is why its hard to recommend since it seems to vary a lot by hardware. My Zen 2 chips take 1.5 - 1.75 hours and are getting 73 - 80 points per task for OP. I don't have any recent task for MCM but when i compare my total runtime / points MCM is falling way behind for me.

Of the several WCG projects I've run MCM has always been the points leader by quite a bit. There is one caveat with regards to races and competitions such as this. MCM points don't show up immediately and I've had some work units sit for well over a week before getting credit finally. It's the way the system is setup for those particular work units. I don't know the exact process but an approximation of how it works follows: the same work unit is sent out at least twice at the beginning but until at least two copies of the work unit is crunched and returned there will be no validation and no points.

Of the several WCG projects I've run MCM has always been the points leader by quite a bit. There is one caveat with regards to races and competitions such as this. MCM points don't show up immediately and I've had some work units sit for well over a week before getting credit finally. It's the way the system is setup for those particular work units. I don't know the exact process but an approximation of how it works follows: the same work unit is sent out at least twice at the beginning but until at least two copies of the work unit is crunched and returned there will be no validation and no points.

this is why i sometimes build up a "cache" of slow to validate WU like this prior to my actual bunker. Then you get the bunker, your output during the event and a trickle of previously crunched work units mixed in.

Reactions: EXT64
like this
Pure Challenge, Day 4 result. Steady at 5th but don't be deceived as the last day/hours of the challenge will see some bunker drops from other teams.

For hourly update, please see here.

1604625083173.png

Pure Challenge, Day 5 result. TAAT overtook RFN for 9th. No changes for other teams in the top 10.

With less than 48hrs to go, keep those rigs running. LAF is getting closer at us.

1604710044596.png

Pure Challenge, Day 6 result. TAAT overtook CNT for 8th. No changes for other teams in the top 10.

With less than 24hrs to the finishing line we are still maintaining at 5th since the end of the end of the 2nd day.

1604800495621.png

My galaxy S5 is burning up for that 567 points it managed to crap out today. ROFL but if it makes the last 3 digits 666 for that screen shot...BURN BABY BURN!

My galaxy S5 is burning up for that 567 points it managed to crap out today. ROFL but if it makes the last 3 digits 666 for that screen shot...BURN BABY BURN!
Heh, my Galaxy S6 is putting out 4k-8k PPD. The numbers are pretty pathetic compared to anything else I have including my ancient Q6600 but it's better than nothing. And yes, the poor phone is hot, hot, hot.

Better efficiency than that Q6600 by a long shot too....lol

Yeah, but the Galaxy S6 really sucks as a Plex server. :D
That is what my 3930k is used for..lol

Oh and my backup Plex server is a Q8200...lol

And my backup backup Plex server is a i7-3770S

Back