Warm: Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 $200 at Newegg

Away w/ you devil!!

What phones can you compare them w/?

Well... it's been several years since I had a pair on hand, so it's hard to compare. But I generally gravitate to brighter, open cans. I'm a HUGE Grado fan. I'm not saying these have a Grado sound, but they are a bright, airy headphone. You won't get a ton of bass, but they are a very crisp, detailed headphone. Also, they are perhaps the most comfortable thing you can put on your head. A little loose, but they are light, don't clamp hard, and don't get all hot and sweaty like their closed siblings.

Really... I can't say enough good things about them. I really, really want to pull the trigger on these. I don't need more headphones, and i'd probably take a lashing from my wife... but I do have some rather fond memories of my brief time with them. I sort of hate myself for stumbling across this... so I feel your pain :D

Last edited:
they are great.....just too loose on the head.

If i bend over or look down they fall right off. Guess I might just have a small head.\

Presumably you meant $229.99 - $30 code.

Looks like some nice cans. I've been looking to get another set in addition to my HD590s but I can't swing $200 right now.

Also, I will say that when I hear people say "bright" and "airy" it puts me off a little. I'm a big fan of bass. :D

Presumably you meant $229.99 - $30 code.

Looks like some nice cans. I've been looking to get another set in addition to my HD590s but I can't swing $200 right now.

Also, I will say that when I hear people say "bright" and "airy" it puts me off a little. I'm a big fan of bass. :D

I sure did, fixed.

And I think I'm the opposite. I have a D2000 now and I like their bass, but that's my limit. I've had DT770's and A700's, didn't care for either. I got to try a W5000 out, and also did not like that. Closed cans just usually aren't my thing.

I've heard the A700's, didn't care for it. I like a warmer sound, it took me a while (and a lot of FS threads on Headfi) but Sennheiser is my sound. I just want to get my hands back on HD600's. So sad I sold them!

I've heard the A700's, didn't care for it. I like a warmer sound, it took me a while (and a lot of FS threads on Headfi) but Sennheiser is my sound. I just want to get my hands back on HD600's. So sad I sold them!

I owned an A700, and I really didn't like them at all. I owned them for a year and maybe used them for about 10 hours total. They became a practice headphone for taking apart and recableing. The AD-series is a totally different animal.

I did own an HD580 for a while too... they were real nice, but just didn't get used much. I've owned too many freaking headphones...

I have no words. I just wanna give you a hug bro. :(

I'm not familiar w/ the MS-2i or the Melos. <--amp?

Got a quick q for you. What's a good solid state amp for gaming to pair w:

AKG Q701's and Sennheiser HD 380 Pro's

Also, will be listening to fast trance/r&b, etc. I have a little dot mkiii for chill, but need to replace the PIMETA.

Cheers! Give the wife a big hug too!

the only thing that sucks with AD series is that everyone can hear what your listening to

I have no words. I just wanna give you a hug bro. :(

I'm not familiar w/ the MS-2i or the Melos. <--amp?

Got a quick q for you. What's a good solid state amp for gaming to pair w:

AKG Q701's and Sennheiser HD 380 Pro's

Also, will be listening to fast trance/r&b, etc. I have a little dot mkiii for chill, but need to replace the PIMETA.

Cheers! Give the wife a big hug too!

The MS-2i is a Grado made for Allesando. It's very comparable to a 325i. Melos is a company that made fantastic hybrid amps, but they went under like 15 years ago. They were hard to find 5 years ago when I bought the one I did... I imagine that they are getting even tougher now. It's a shame. They were commonly regarded as one of the best matches you could possibly buy for Grado headphones. It's an amp I'll probably never replace. Right now all I've got is a D2000 and a Zero DAC, the remnants of probably $3000+ worth of headphones I used to own.

Anyway... As for a good solid state amp... well... that depends a lot on what your spending. I've heard a ton of good things about Schiit, a friend of mine recently purchased one of their DACs and loves it. They have both solid state and hybrid amps.

just get a decent pair of phones and a broad spectrum equalizer and you can basically emulate any pair of headphones out there--it's just simple acoustic science

what you want above anything else is ACCURACY, that's what high fidelity means. don't get suckered in to blowing your money on all these audiophile scams

Melos amps were highly regarded in their time however the amps have poor design and components. Even upgrading to better parts you at still left with the poor design.

Back on topic I have the ad2k and love them. They fit different than any other headphone I've had so getting the ad700 or 900 is a good way to see if you or like them for a lot cheaper. Neither of these are bass head cans and are open back so they leak sound, from what I gather the ad900 are a lot better than the ad700 in build and sound quality.

Shady on the headfi classifieds there is a ppa with steps amp for a bargain of a price from a guy named moxymig or something like that. Should be a solid choice.

just get a decent pair of phones and a broad spectrum equalizer and you can basically emulate any pair of headphones out there--it's just simple acoustic science

what you want above anything else is ACCURACY, that's what high fidelity means. don't get suckered in to blowing your money on all these audiophile scams

Such truth, away with you.

you can find those for over 1/2 off. might as well save some money?
No problem at all with my AD-700s. They rock for gaming. With my AD-700 and ASUS Xonar DX, I can always hear things before my buddies. Comes in handy when playing DayZ.

We will be examining the successors to the AD700 and AD900, the highly anticipated AD700X and AD900X headphones in the next few weeks. So if you want to know if AT has fixed or altered the fit and/or sound signature, you will definitely want to check it out!

Last edited:
We will be examining the successors to the AD700 and AD900 headphones in the next few weeks. So if you want to know if AT has fixed or altered the fit and/or sound signature, you will definitely want to check it out!

Nice.

Looking at the specifications and overall design of the AD900 an AD700 they seem very close to each other. AD700 can be purchased for $89 online. I'd pay $30 more for the AD900 but not $110 more. With a new successor coming I anticipate some much hotter deals on the AD900 model.

Last edited:
We will be examining the successors to the AD700 and AD900, the highly anticipated AD700X and AD900X headphones in the next few weeks. So if you want to know if AT has fixed or altered the fit and/or sound signature, you will definitely want to check it out!

That is very exciting news... I look forward to it!

Awesome headphones for the budget gamer. Used to use it until I switched to RS180s.

I used to have ATH A500 and now have ATH A700. I'm no audiophile but I really like these headphones. There are songs that I have listened to for years that once I used these headphones I could hear things I never heard in the song before. I can easily pick out each player instead of it all being washed together.
I also game quite a bit and I do really like them for that as well.

...what you want above anything else is ACCURACY, that's what high fidelity means. don't get suckered in to blowing your money on all these audiophile scams...
I want so badly to post this on facebook, but I'd only confuse them. :(

Shady on the headfi classifieds there is a ppa with steps amp for a bargain of a price from a guy named moxymig or something like that. Should be a solid choice.
Thanks! I'll look into that. I need something fast for gaming/trance/hip-hop/AC/DC. :cool:

*hug*

I used to have ATH A500 and now have ATH A700. I'm no audiophile...
You're well on your way! ;)

Back