Want to build silent and game running SFF... help!

zlooop

Gawd
Ok,

So its about time to upgrade the old box. I wanted to know what you SFF people think.

Is it possible to build a good SFF that will run HL2 and DOOM3 with no problem. At the same time, I would like to make my computer as silent as possible.

I only would need to upgrade ram, cpu, mobo, and video card. Do you think it can be done for under 1000?

Gimme the scoop! :confused:

zlooop said:
I only would need to upgrade ram, cpu, mobo, and video card. Do you think it can be done for under 1000?
Well, since the motherboard is included you'd have to only upgrade your RAM, CPU and video card.

However, you want something that'll run HL2 and DOOM3 with "no problem"? What resolution do you want to play these games at, and how many graphical extras do you want enabled (?xanti-aliasing, ?xanisotropic filtering)? Do you prefer AMD or Intel systems?

If you want to run them at 1024x768 with AA and AF off, then yes, you can build a SFF for less than $1K. Otherwise, maybe not.

I am running the following...

1 gig ram... $200
SN41G2 with 2400+ at 2133Mhz... $299 (I am sure you would want to upgrade to 3200+)
ATi retail 9800 Pro... $170
250GB 7200rpm hard drive... $129

Add in a 80mm->120mm shroud and a 120mm fan, as well as the new silentX power supply and you've got your silent system.

You can go with other systems, but they will cost more. This is just what I chose over a year ago with the exception of video card and hard drive that were in the last month.

Ya I found out that looking at specs today. Here was what I was thinking:

Shuttle SN85G4V2
$310

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
$270

Gig of Ram
$200

Radeon 9800XT
$300

I would probably be buying more towards the end of the summer when i have extra cash.. is there anything else worth waiting for, or should I just keep a heads up for better deals on this system?

I also already have a hard drive, and for the sake of saving $100 bucks Id just wait a while to buy that.

I am a little worried over the small power supplies. Will this Shuttle be able to run this system? Also, are the mobil AMD processors any slower than the desktop ones?

EDIT: What sort of HSF setup would you recommend? Just the retail box?

zlooop said:
Shuttle SN85G4V2
$310

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
$270

Gig of Ram
$200

Radeon 9800XT
$300
You're gonna be hard-pressed to find a decent gig of RAM for only $200. There's some "value" 512MB Mushkin sticks on Newegg for $89, but they're rated at 2.5-4-4.

You could also save about $80 by getting a 9800 Pro instead of an XT. Or save even more by getting an nVidia 5900XT.

The mobile A64s aren't any slower than the regular A64s; they just don't draw as much power. Shuttles can be pretty picky about what components you can put in them, however, and the mobile A64 3200+ is not currently on their compatibility list.

And yes, the ICE heatsink provided with the Shuttle should suffice.

I built 3 computers 3 years ago and I swear, ram was so much cheapter. :eek:

What timing should I be looking at for good RAM sticks?

If I changed the setup to an intel, or I downgraded to an XP, do you think I would be cutting myself short performance wise?

People use the term "future-proof" when they talk about the 64 bit processors. If you're going to go 64 bit, you might want to wait until the 939 pin processors and SFFs are readily available and priced reasonably.

The Athlon XPs are nearing the end of their lifecycle, and that means that they are a great value. You can get a mobile XP 2400+ for less than $90, along with a Shuttle SN45G (nForce2 Ultra 400) that's $230, and have plenty left over from your $1000 pool to buy some really good memory and the 9800XT you want. With some good DDR400 memory, you could overclock that 2400+ from its stock 1.8GHz to 2.2GHz or higher without much trouble.

As for memory timings, the lower they are, the better. Mushkin's Level One line runs at 2-3-2-6 and a gig of that on newegg is $263... their "2-2-2 Special" gig pack, which runs at 2-2-2-6, is $350. Other companies like Corsair, and Kingston offer comparable sets for a little more... the OCZ enhanced latency 1GB pack is surprisingly about $10 less than Mushkin's Level One (OCZ can be a little iffy sometimes, though).

So, an XP-M system would give you more bang for your buck NOW, but a 64 bit system would better prepare you for what lies ahead.

gamz247 said:
People use the term "future-proof" when they talk about the 64 bit processors. If you're going to go 64 bit, you might want to wait until the 939 pin processors and SFFs are readily available and priced reasonably.

The Athlon XPs are nearing the end of their lifecycle, and that means that they are a great value. You can get a mobile XP 2400+ for less than $90, along with a Shuttle SN45G (nForce2 Ultra 400) that's $230, and have plenty left over from your $1000 pool to buy some really good memory and the 9800XT you want. With some good DDR400 memory, you could overclock that 2400+ from its stock 1.8GHz to 2.2GHz or higher without much trouble.

As for memory timings, the lower they are, the better. Mushkin's Level One line runs at 2-3-2-6 and a gig of that on newegg is $263... their "2-2-2 Special" gig pack, which runs at 2-2-2-6, is $350. Other companies like Corsair, and Kingston offer comparable sets for a little more... the OCZ enhanced latency 1GB pack is surprisingly about $10 less than Mushkin's Level One (OCZ can be a little iffy sometimes, though).

So, an XP-M system would give you more bang for your buck NOW, but a 64 bit system would better prepare you for what lies ahead.

couldnt have said it better myself

look into a 10k 36 gig raptor for a system drive as well ;)

kronchev said:
couldnt have said it better myself

look into a 10k 36 gig raptor for a system drive as well ;)
aren't they a little noisy? and hot for a sff too?

Its not so much the HD access. I just want to be able to sleep next to it and be able to hear frat parties at the same time.

If I did get a Mobil XP 2400+, would it be pointless to buy a x800 Radeon to go along with it, as in I would not experience significant performance gains?

Thanks for the help!

zlooop said:
Its not so much the HD access. I just want to be able to sleep next to it and be able to hear frat parties at the same time.

If I did get a Mobil XP 2400+, would it be pointless to buy a x800 Radeon to go along with it, as in I would not experience significant performance gains?

Thanks for the help!
Well, it's pointless to buy a X800 now because the card is almost $500. That wipes out half your budget.

That said, a X800 would show better performance than a 9800XT, but the cost difference of almost $250 really isn't worth it (to me). The 9800XT is still a really good card.

In any case, whatever you decide to buy will run circles around what you currently have.

Back