W10 isn't recognizing partition it should be recognizing

Morlock

Limp Gawd
I was running W7U but had to upgrade to W10 because my CPU doesn't support W7, plus I wanted to move to W10 anyway. My system drive had 3 partitions, not including the hidden partitions that get created automatically: a 200gb C partition for my OS, a 1.Xtb D partition for games and apps, and a 1.6tb Z partition for files. I named it "Z" because for whatever reason, it had a habit of disappearing on me, and I used the drive letter as a reminder of the fact. When my old rig blew up, I put this drive into an enclosure so I could access the files on it, and sure enough, the Z partition disappeared on me. When my new hardware arrived, I decided to use the same drive for my system/OS, so it was the first drive I installed. And sure enough, when W7 booted, Z showed up again.

Today I installed W10U, and sure enough, after the install, Z has disappeared on me again. I have several data recovery programs, including EASEUS partition master home 9, but none of them really seems to be addressing what I think is the issue. A couple of them find the lost partition and offer to recover the files to another drive, but that's not what I want to do. I want to recover the partition. I want W10 to recognize it, or some software to fix it so W10 recognizes it, so I don't have to go through the hassle of recovery, then copying the files back to Z after I format it and create a partition. IMHO it seems like this isn't an actual data loss problem, so much as a Windows 10 problem. It seems likely to me that there's just some MBR bits or bytes in the wrong place, or some little system file that Windows is missing or misinterpreting, and once I slap W10 a couple times, or tweak or recreate the missing bit, the partition should be fixed or recognized and easy peasy, Z is back online.

I already backed up the essential can't-lose files from the partition, so I'm not particularly worried about data loss if a fix goes bad.

Any suggestions?

what does disk manager show?
if you have the data just repartition and reformat it.

I didn't back it all up, only about half. It's stuff I can torrent again, but that would take even longer than recovering it.

DM shows it as unallocated.

then you have to run the "lost partition" function in easeus see if it finds it. youll prob have to just copy it and the redue the drive.

Yeah I gave up on finding something to repair it. Running Easeus Data Recovery (funny how much of a clone the UI is of Stellar Phoenix, or maybe vice-versa) on it now. Easeus Partition crapped out on finding anything.

Back