W10 disappearing start menu icons

Morlock

Limp Gawd
I just reinstalled Avast Antivirus, Malewarebytes, and Superantispyware a couple days ago and they all gave me a clean bill of health. Just now I restarted (windows 10 current) and 3/4 of my start menu shortcuts were gone (the apps are all still there). I tried reinstalling a couple of the affected apps (7-zip and Bandizip), and it isn't fixing the problem. I uninstalled then reinstalled 7-zip and nada. Anyone know what the fuck this is?

Obviously I can drop new shortcuts into the appropriate folders, but that seems just as kludgy as reinstalling everything. Even moreso, really, since at least reinstalling SHOULD put things back to original condition.

Either way is shit because next time windows shits itself I'm doing all of this over again, unless I figure out a real fix.

I just reinstalled Avast Antivirus, Malewarebytes, and Superantispyware a couple days ago and they all gave me a clean bill of health. Just now I restarted (windows 10 current) and 3/4 of my start menu shortcuts were gone (the apps are all still there). I tried reinstalling a couple of the affected apps (7-zip and Bandizip), and it isn't fixing the problem. I uninstalled then reinstalled 7-zip and nada. Anyone know what the fuck this is?

Obviously I can drop new shortcuts into the appropriate folders, but that seems just as kludgy as reinstalling everything. Even moreso, really, since at least reinstalling SHOULD put things back to original condition.

Either way is shit because next time windows shits itself I'm doing all of this over again, unless I figure out a real fix.
sfc /scanow in an elevated cmd prompt or powershell.

Are the placeholders still there? Or are you talking about the Alphabetical list in the middle?

This is weird. No matter what I try to install, it doesn't add the folder menu, program shortcut, etc., to the Start Menu. I mean I just reinstalled Windows a couple weeks ago, not counting the two months I just spent in hospital with my rig powered down. Was still reinstalling essentials so I didn't even set up a backup yet.Now I gotta do all that shit again?

Should've mentioned that I tried rebuilding the icon cache already. Tho' the extent of my efforts was double-clicking a bat file I got from TenForums, or some such place. (LoL, your link is to TenForums, so it's better than long odds that I just used the downloadable form of the one you linked to. Already deleted it so I can't check)

Again, this is weird. At this point my plan is to back up my system once my malware and virus software is done scanning/removing, and I've finished a bit of cleanup; then, reinstall w10 from disc. And wait 50 years as the fresh install slogs through all the updates. I guess I could burn a fresh w10 install disc...

Again, this is weird. At this point my plan is to back up my system once my malware and virus software is done scanning/removing, and I've finished a bit of cleanup; then, reinstall w10 from disc. And wait 50 years as the fresh install slogs through all the updates. I guess I could burn a fresh w10 install disc...
get the media creation tool and make a new usb and this time dont install all those redundant a/v malware utilities.

get the media creation tool and make a new usb and this time dont install all those redundant a/v malware utilities.
I agree. I would not install any of your AV stuff. Windows 10 already comes with a decent one which will keep your protected. In fact, I would uninstall your AV app and see if it fixes the problem. Another question: is your AV the free version or paid?

I would not use any free AV app. They are garbage. Malwarebytes free is fine, and you probably don't need Superantispyware. You can better control the spyware stuff in your browser. Use Brave browser or add-ons like: Ublock Origin and Privacy Badger.

I uninstalled Brave. Too many problems, plus sync is kaput now, has been for a while. Ever tried getting bookmarks out of Brave mobile? Uninstalled in disgust after that.

try what vick posted. all that crap you added has probably corrupted something. that or rebuild and do not add all that crap. use defender and either install the new edge or chrome and your game and needed programs.

Back