W-ISP for Baltimore area

One of our offices in Baltimore has a problem with stable internet. This location is in an industrial area and the only option which they currently have is Verizon dsl. But the copper lines in the area suck and even the T1 lines they have there are not stable. Plus they are at the end of the line for dsl. Getting fiber run is a problem because there are a lot of railroad tracks in the area. We're currently trying to get a fiber line run to an office in Alabama but there is a railroad track involved with that location and it has delayed the install 6 months so far. So running a new line of any type for the Baltimore location is off the table.

Cox does not have cable in that area and they want big bucks to run cable down the street.

We have an office in Weirton WV which uses a microwave wireless internet which is actually better than some of our wired locations. (Stratus Wave) Unfortunately they don't service the Baltimore area.

We have Hughesnet at an office in Arkansas and it's fine for that location but the reviews for Hughesnet in the Baltimore area are not good. Terrible actually. I now see Dish network offers wireless internet. Anyone use Dish network internet? I know there are some drawbacks but we need something. better than what they have now.

Now looking at a dish service called Excede. It appears to be the highest rated of the dish ISP's. Feel free to comment on that company if anyone has experience with them.

Last edited:
One of our offices in Baltimore has a problem with stable internet. This location is in an industrial area and the only option which they currently have is Verizon dsl. But the copper lines in the area suck and even the T1 lines they have there are not stable. Plus they are at the end of the line for dsl. Getting fiber run is a problem because there are a lot of railroad tracks in the area. We're currently trying to get a fiber line run to an office in Alabama but there is a railroad track involved with that location and it has delayed the install 6 months so far. So running a new line of any type for the Baltimore location is off the table.

Cox does not have cable in that area and they want big bucks to run cable down the street.

We have an office in Weirton WV which uses a microwave wireless internet which is actually better than some of our wired locations. (Stratus Wave) Unfortunately they don't service the Baltimore area.

We have Hughesnet at an office in Arkansas and it's fine for that location but the reviews for Hughesnet in the Baltimore area are not good. Terrible actually. I now see Dish network offers wireless internet. Anyone use Dish network internet? I know there are some drawbacks but we need something. better than what they have now.

Now looking at a dish service called Excede. It appears to be the highest rated of the dish ISP's. Feel free to comment on that company if anyone has experience with them.

I'd ask on the forum at ubnt.com. They should have someone there that does cover that are or know who to contact to find out.

I'd ask on the forum at ubnt.com. They should have someone there that does cover that are or know who to contact to find out.

Your suggestion was very helpful. I looked for Ubiquiti providers for that area and contacted a company called Port Networks which I discovered already services a number of other businesses in that area. The guy said he doesn't use Ubiquiti for corporate locations. But it's something else created by Motorola. It's a site to site wireless transmission which has worked well for us at our Weirton location. Thanks much for the suggestion.

Back