voltage question on 5800x

Cataulin

[H]ard|Gawd
Got a gigabyte Tuf Gaming wifi x570 board with a 5800x
The chip seems to spike randomly with temps and voltage. Im new to AMD outside of threadripper which never really overclocked well so Im just trying to get my bearings and havent touched anything yet. But this doesnt seem normal for any chip. it sits in the upper 30's with nothign running but starts to jump up just with chrome. I've seen it hit 90 before I disabled the " Extreme quiet" fan options but can still get to 88-9 while gaming.

Its been cooled by a MSI coreliquid 240r. Which works fine on a intel chip but I think just watching the voltage it plays a bigger part in this.

Thoughts, Ideas, directions?

Untitled.png

voltage spikes are ok. when the cores need to boost high, it will need the voltage. if you want to lower temps, you can use the curve optimizer.

Is that part of the ryzen software?
no its in your bios. make sure bios is up to date. there are some videos and things about curve optimizer. but my 5800x isn't stable at -30 like some are. I run it -16 for daily use. you'll know what that means once you read up on it.

Last edited:
Check your cooler mounting and replace the thermal paste. The CCD (processor chip) is offcenter in the ryzen CPUs so a bad mount will give much worse temps than on an intel CPU where the chip is center mounted. Ryzen 5000 series needs good contact on pretty much the entire heatspreader, unlike intel where it is temps will be only slightly worse if 70% of the heatspreader is covered. Ryzen will get ridiculously hot when boosting up to 4-5 cores (CPU threads), but it shouldn't be in the 90s unless you have 40 degree water temp or a bad mount. Do expect to see up to mid 70s or low 80s, even with stock settings when it is max boosting on just a few cores as the heat is in such a tiny area that it is very difficult to transfer the heat to the cooler in an efficient way. Your hottest temps will typically be when boosting 3-5 cores at max speed and it will start to drop when you load up 6 or more CPU threads as the heat gets spread out over a larger area.

Back