VMware CBT bug

ashman

Gawd
Not sure if you all are aware of this bug, it just recently came to light in an email from Veeam, here is a link to the Vmware
KBhttp://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2090639

Basically any disk on a VM that has been increased by 128GB or more is at risk of this CBT bug and that bug affects all versions of VMware form 4.x up to current and it means that backups may be no good. From what I can understand, there is a way to reset CBT on a VM but I am not clear if its necessary to run a full backup after doing this to resolve the issue. There is lots of chatter in the Veeam forums about this, its definitely a VMware issue and they have said no fix is forthcoming anytime soon which isn't good.

Read about it the other day, pretty crazy. Sounds like the workaround isn't too bad but knowing about the issue is pretty important.

lopoetve - I'm just curious if there may be an update on the fix for this? :)

was supposedly fixed. I don't work for VMware anymore, so I'll have to ask some contacts.

Here's the Veeam info page on the issue:
http://www.veeam.com/kb1940

The VMware KB says

This issue is resolved in:

ESXi 5.0 Patch 10. To download this patch, go to Download Patches. For more information, see VMware ESXi 5.0, Patch Release ESXi500-201412001 (2088715).

ESXi 5.1 Update 3, available at VMware Downloads. For more information, see the VMware ESXi 5.1 Update 3 Release Notes.

Currently, there is no resolution for ESXi 4.x and ESXi 5.5.x versions.

Well, that's unfortunate. I was just hoping the KB online was out of date for 5.5.

Looks like the 5.5 Fix was added and updated in the KB:

ESXi 5.5 Patch 4. To download this patch, go to Download Patches. For more information, see VMware ESXi 5.5, Patch Release ESXi550-201501001 (2099265).

Looks like the 5.5 Fix was added and updated in the KB:

ESXi 5.5 Patch 4. To download this patch, go to Download Patches. For more information, see VMware ESXi 5.5, Patch Release ESXi550-201501001 (2099265).

Thanks for this, had not seen that it was released.

Back